Why is Triton permit locked and not the Moon?

Moon - too much known thats hard to replicate.

Also.. lol thinking humans ever landed there.
Ok but why it's not permit locked then? Nothing in the game or in the lore that says you can't land there.. It's just handled like an atmospheric planet.
About Triton... Is it locked for some future content? It's the only locked planet on the galaxy afaik so there should be some explanation

Last edited:
The moon is probably owned by a corperation, and has been mined so extensively we wouldn't recognize it. In this case, the landing sites were probably relocated to Earth or Mars.
They could slap some aluminum-looking domes over the historic sites; they've been "preserved for posterity." Eventually they could be a legs feature.

Ok but why it's not permit locked then? Nothing in the game or in the lore that says you can't land there.. It's just handled like an atmospheric planet.
About Triton... Is it locked for some future content? It's the only locked planet on the galaxy afaik so there should be some explanation
No plans to ever make it landable. Triton probably locked for same reason Horsehead is, future content.

Permits are odd things in unpopulated, undiscovered systems.

That's what I said too, you can't go there for whatever reason. But what's the official statement for the moon?
Where have you found that Triton is a military planet? As far as I know it is controlled by Mother Gaia which is just a standard minor faction.
Triton possibly IS Gaia and a hollow world within her. Inside is an organically created assortment of environments populated by sentient creatures such as gorgeous colour patterned hermaphrodite centaurs whose names are music keys that they sing in to communicate.

See here: John Varley - Triton

When we get legs maybe then they will open Luna to us, underground first.
Lots of handcrafting planned I think.

ᕦ( ⊡ 益 ⊡ )ᕤ

White Sands, Nevada was just a standard little town, until it became a military nuclear test site.

Rosewell, New Mexico was also a standard town, until it became the birthplace of military stealth aircraft technology.

That’s kind of how secret military projects work - plain clothes people, doing plain clothes jobs in plain, ordinary places. No big neon signs that read “Super Secret Military Installation”.
White Sands is in New Mexico and is a National Park that anyone can visit. They only close it down when they launch missiles.

Roswell is near the Trinity site which was the birthplace of the A-bomb.

The Stealth fighter was developed at Area 51 located at Groom Lake, Nevada and is also next to where they did atmospheric testing of A-bombs in the 50's and 60's. This is also the location where the U-2 and SR-71 were developed and tested.

Triton possibly IS Gaia and a hollow world within her. Inside is an organically created assortment of environments populated by sentient creatures such as gorgeous colour patterned hermaphrodite centaurs whose names are music keys that they sing in to communicate.

See here: John Varley - Triton

When we get legs maybe then they will open Luna to us, underground first.
Lots of handcrafting planned I think.

ᕦ( ⊡ 益 ⊡ )ᕤ
It's very interesting! But is it part of Elite Lore or an unrelated Sci-Fi book?

There are precisely three locked planets in the galaxy: Triton, Lave 2 and Diso 5c. We do not know why any of them are locked, though the Lave one seems to have something to do with the Dictator Walden story arc mentioned in some old Galnet stories, which is connected with the old lore of Lave. For Diso 5c and Triton, there hasn't been a peep from Galnet, and the system descriptions are silent - and those are our only two sources of canonical information.

Permit-locked planets look an awful lot like a feature which was intended to be much bigger and more commonly encountered than it actually is. I'm wondering if they were planning to put a bunch more into the galaxy, but ran out of time before Horizons launched.

My guess is Triton is probably an exclusive bonus area for certain people at Frontier, kind of like other game studios give exclusive items or skins for devs only or how Bethesda games have a 'dev room'.

The Moon on the other hand is somewhere that needs to be historically accurate and procedural terrain generation probably wouldn't do it justice.
when you brought up dev only perks I immediately thought of the valve weapon quality

Because the moon landings were faked (according to some on the internet), and they don't want you finding out.

They also don't want you standing where Niel Armstrong stood and messing up his footsteps and stealing the flag as a souvenir, or driving around in the Apollo SRV.

As well, Frontier does not want SRV's circumnavigating the moon and telling everyone about the Aliens on the dark side or visiting their base.

o7
I think only the first Apollo landing was faked. The indie movie "Project Avalanche" has a pretty interesting premise: The Pres had promised a man on the Moon, but the Eagle lander wouldn't be ready on time. We could get astronauts in orbit around the Moon, but not down to the surface. So the CIA spoofed the mission control computers by switching the live data feed for simulation data when the rocket was behind the Moon. Only the first landing was faked.

It was just a little leap of fiction for mankind.

Moon - too much known thats hard to replicate.
I would disagree on this. While the vast majority of the galaxy in ED is procedurally generated there are at least some have been hand-crafted to at least a certain degree. Also, given we are talking over a thousand years in the future there are any number of probable causes for differences (subtle or otherwise) in the way the moon looks in ED.

As I said multiple times, in ED the Moon doesn't need an accurate modeling because it's a rock without atmosphere, in the next 1300 years many places could be very different from how they are now.

According to lore, the Moon is densely populated and industrialised, far more so than rocky bodies elsewhere. FD would have to build all that. Or, they can not allow us to go there, because we're not allowed to go to densely populated areas and bother the locals.

In the mytical future of atmospheric landings on life-bearing planets are we going to get Earth? Hard to see how they're going to be able to pull that one off convincingly. I'll be interested enough in seeing how they manage it on other heavily-populated worlds - most likely it'll just never happen.
As for eventually getting access to populated atmospheric earth-like planets, the lore and general consensus seems to have been (here paraphrased only):
''Heavily polluting stellar craft will never be cleared for atmospheric entry due to the unavoidable damage that would be caused to the fragile atmospheres so throwing them even more out of equilibrium''. Any access (if it happens) would have to be from the Star Ports using eco-friendly shuttle craft to the planet surface below (leaving our space ships up on the orbiting/geostationary stations/star ports).

o7

We can't land on both for whatever reason (huge cities, handcrafted contents and so on), but Triton's got a coherent configuration because it is permit-locked.
The Moon instead has no in-game explanation why it's not accessible. So I wonder why it's not permit-locked too.

I would be very curious to know the reason, the lore and the plans for these two moons.

Triton in real life is extremely unstable and could tear apart at any moment.

Top Bottom