Why on earth am I failing bounty missions?

I'm trying to figure out what crazy logic governs bounty missions. I do a bunch of damage to a ship, system authority shows up, second pirate shows up, tries to steal cargo so I focus on him, system authority kills first ship, I fail that mission.

1) Why does it matter if the system authority kills my target? At worst I shouldn't get the bounty. I certainly shouldn't fail the mission.
2) I hit him several times. Does tagging not work in this game?

I think you have to have hit the target within 10 secs of them getting popped.

This... I think you may have more than 10 seconds to have hit it before it pops, but you can't go off and focus on a different ship, so keep going with the mission target until it pops, then go for the other pirate, and the system authority will come and help you with that too.

Oh, and don't carry cargo if you are bounty hunting, unless you specifically want to make the game harder on yourself, as any cargo in your hold is an excuse for random pirates to attack you.

This... I think you may have more than 10 seconds to have hit it before it pops, but you can't go off and focus on a different ship, so keep going with the mission target until it pops, then go for the other pirate, and the system authority will come and help you with that too.

Oh, and don't carry cargo if you are bounty hunting, unless you specifically want to make the game harder on yourself, as any cargo in your hold is an excuse for random pirates to attack you.
So, is that 10 second rule for all bounties or just the missions?

Yes, all bounties.

Players don't need to get the kill shot in against NPC's but they have to have been 'involved'. So keep shooting at them until the explode.

It applies to other stuff too, CZs seem to have a similar rule for example.

Perhaps you could test it for yourself?
I could but I'm out exploring and mining at the moment. I was just curious as I hadn't heard that before.

If you want to handle the situation on your own (with no help from system authorities I mean) then you can open your right hand side panel (key '4' default) and select your ship and look for Report Crimes Against Me when you find this set it to NO or OFF (can't remember which right now) and then you won't "call" Sys. Auth. when you are attacked, either by NPC's or other CMDRs.

Tagging does work & using the police to help you is fine too.

I think you have to have hit the target within 10 secs of them getting popped.
Yup, this.

If you don't kill the target, or engage it close(r) to them being killed by system authorities, you fail the mission.

(and yet, the target fleeing is not a failure...)

I could but I'm out exploring and mining at the moment. I was just curious as I hadn't heard that before.
Interestingly, there are multiple, different triggers.

For example, I've had kills count for a mission, but not the bounty (or vice-versa, I forget which way round)

Dominic Corner

Mostly Harmless Programmer
Frontier
Yup, this.

If you don't kill the target, or engage it close(r) to them being killed by system authorities, you fail the mission.

(and yet, the target fleeing is not a failure...)

Hi there,

if the target flees, you can find them again to finish the mission... You have not yet failed to complete the mission.

If you witness someone else killing the target then you have failed to kill the target and thus failed to complete the mission.

Thanks,
Dom

Top Bottom