Why Proboscis Monkeys would be an Impactful Addition in terms of Gameplay

Abstract
latest

Meet Nasalis larvatus, better known as the proboscis monkey. As the name gives away, the defining feature of this primate is the large, Squidward-like nose featured in males. However, these simians have more to them than a funny face, and this thread will detail why they'd be great additions in terms of gameplay.

Space Needs
Proboscis-Monkey.jpg

As proboscis monkeys are obviously monkeys, they would require a habitat that has lots of climbable area. This would allow players to translate their creativity to satisfy a very exotic species.
15663907478_fab45fae68_b.jpg

Proboscis monkeys live in the mangrove forests of Borneo, which would give them tolerance to tropical and aquatic plants found in Asia. Their terrain would likely require lots of soil, with a sizable amount of sand and a small amount of grass. Most primates generally dislike water, so the proboscis monkey is a example of there always being exceptions to rules of thumb. To make for a nice segway...
7482999772_1e7841bab3_b.jpg

These monkeys can swim! Their feet are semi-webbed, which allows whole troops to cross rivers in search of food. Therefore, it would be appropriate for proboscis monkeys to require a body of water in their habitat.

Social Needs
p9056953.jpg

As expected, proboscis monkeys live in troops (or at the very least a pair). They're also quite tolerate of other troops, with the most amount of aggression typically being a threat display. This would require players to care for multiple of these simians, as being alone would likely decrease their welfare.
2013-09-22-sepilok_monkey_stealing_food_from_orangutans.jpg

They could also provide a species enrichment bonus to Bornean orangutans, which live in the same area. Simians stick together, ya know?

Conservation and Status
Last point of interest, being that proboscis monkeys are endangered. On top of supporting the game's major founding ideas, their endangerment would incentivize players to breed and release them. This way players would gain from caring for these exotic animals.
Proboscis monkeys are generally rare in captivity, but the Singapore Zoo has had a few. They also have a relatively short track record in terms of captive breeding. These combined, along with a shyness towards humans as a result of poaching, would make proboscis monkeys a healthy challenge for even veteran players.

Conclusion
Given that proboscis monkeys have a unique habitat compared to most primates, are endangered, and have notable social groups, I believe that they would be a beneficial addition to Planet Zoo purely from a gameplay perspective.

Last edited:
I would really like them in the Game. It could be interesting to design a Enclosure for a swimming Primate. I also like this Choice because if we get them, there will be 2 Species from Borneo which would teach the Guests a bit more about this Island

While they are not my faveourite monkey and I don't really miss them. I'd like to say that this thread is AWESOME! I love the style in how you made it and how you not just blurr out a wishlist. My deep respect for taking so much effort and also helping me get to know those animals a bit better. Thank you!

They are great animals. I'd support any additional primates. An endangered primate DLC would be a golden addition to the game as a whole - not only would we get more primate species to play with (the proboscis monkey would be a good addition to that pack, as well as, say, a gibbon), we could get a boat-load of new enrichment items and even some new climbing equipment, too.

Like it, I'm all for more mixed species content, even though I prefer the gibbon..
Proboscis monkeys are interesting animals !

Should be part of big/long nosed/beaked animals DLC along with the Saiga Antelope, Giant Anteater, Elephant Seal :p :p

Last edited:
I just remembered I did this big writeup a year ago. Who knows if it actually influenced the Proboscis monkey's being in the recent DLC though.
Honestly, the only reason I MIGHT eventually use them would be, if they enrich Orang Utans. If not, I'm afraid that this is the one monkey that will never see my zoos from the inside. :D

So someone in the DLC thread mentioned that these monkeys cannot really be kept in captivity, that they die soon...Anyone knows more about that? I googled a litttle and found out its difficult to keep them due to their special diet, so I wonder how realistic it would be to have them in our zoos.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
I just remembered I did this big writeup a year ago. Who knows if it actually influenced the Proboscis monkey's being in the recent DLC though.
Great piece of info.

Proboscis monkey's are extremely hard to keep for Zoo's, usually they die without an clear cause.
Apenheul in the Netherlands kept them between 2011 and 2015, but stopped keeping them because they died without clear cause.

So someone in the DLC thread mentioned that these monkeys cannot really be kept in captivity, that they die soon...Anyone knows more about that? I googled a litttle and founf out its difficult to keep them due to their special diet, so I wonder how realistic it would be to have them in our zoos.
👇

This is my least favorite animal choice of the pack. There is so many great primates in that part of the world, so that they went with a species very uncommon in zoos annoys me. It is truly an amazing species, but just not for a zoo game.

So someone in the DLC thread mentioned that these monkeys cannot really be kept in captivity, that they die soon...Anyone knows more about that? I googled a litttle and found out its difficult to keep them due to their special diet, so I wonder how realistic it would be to have them in our zoos.

That's what I found about that topic. So... they can be kept in captivity, but are obviously very sensitive. Personally I never saw them in a zoo, so they are not common.

I'd say it is realistic in a SE Asian zoo. They seem to do well in Singapore. They are currently kept at Zoorasia in Yokohama in Japan and have been there for about ten years. But no, despite occasionally being kept in North American zoos and in Europe they haven't thrived and there aren't any at the moment.

I get why they were added to the DLC but even a douc langur which is rare in captivity would be a more versatile option.

Oh, yea I will use them only in Asian zoo then. Seems like its a similar thing to the pangolins, I do not use those much for the same reason.

Proboscis monkey's are extremely hard to keep for Zoo's, usually they die without an clear cause.
Apenheul in the Netherlands kept them between 2011 and 2015
Visited it when they got them, definately an interesting species. They wanted to do something special with their zoo's anniversary.
Some called it stress and some bad luck, in the end: it didn't work out.

There is so many great primates in that part of the world, so that they went with a species very uncommon in zoos annoys me. It is truly an amazing species, but just not for a zoo game
I think if you look at the 30 essential animal lists, you'd be surprised how many uncommon/rare animals are highly requested.

Thanks a lot to the People who wrote that they are in the new DLC. Wouldnt've noticed it without being mentioned here (they really need to fix the Instagram Notifications 😑)

Seems like they listened!!! I asked for a cassowary once while nobody else did, and they added it!
A lot of people asked for the cassowary in the past.

--

Anyway, I'm glad this one was added. They're very unique and interesting, and the fact that they're so hard to keep in captivity in real zoos just means to me that keeping them in my fake zoos will be an achievement in itself.

Well, maybe to compensate and to make it realistic (although many may not like it), they may make the animal upkeep higher than other species. But it doesn't really matter if you have a couple hundred millions

Such interesting and odd animals. Though it would never have been one I would have picked for even an 8 pack, I'm sure I'll enjoy them in the game. It'll definitely bring some visual variety.

Top Bottom