Why snakes? Do you have a problem with designers?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I play the game, fly in space and what do I see? snakes(anaconda? mаmba? or many such viper ,,,,)? Why is my mind so limited?

Last edited:
This strikes me oddly as well. You'd think maybe a manufacturer might be biased towards a unique naming scheme such as snakes, but 3 of them all had the same idea?

But hey, the majority of modules in the game are named ABDCEFG so...

The original Elite, back in '84 featured all snakes. If I recall correctly, it was because Braben like Battlestar Galactica, among other things. The Blue Danube was a nod to 2001 one. And, of course, let's not forget the Trouble with Trumbles. ;)

I think the original Elite ships were actually shaped after snake heads, Cobra had the broad shape viper slime angle head etc.

So which snakes are the Challenger, Cheiftain, Crusader, Beluga, Dolphin, Eagle, Assualt Ship, Drop Ship, Gunship, Hauler, Clipper, Courier, Cutter, Orca, Vulture, Type-10 Defender, Type-6 Transporter, Type-7 Transporter, and Type-9 Heavy named after?

Last edited:
So which snakes are the Challenger, Cheiftain, Crusader, Beluga, Dolphin, Eagle, Assualt Ship, Drop Ship, Gunship, Fer-de-Lance, Hauler, Clipper, Courier, Cutter, Orca, Vulture, Type-10 Defender, Type-6 Transporter, Type-7 Transporter, and Type-9 Heavy named after?

The -> original <- game featured only snakes. The ones you name appeared in later versions.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
Fer-de-Lance

Fer-De-Lance-Costa-Rica.jpeg

good, but when you see some snakes, it is not very interesting
even if you play in 1984

In the real world, why was the P-51 called the Mustang? Why is the A-10 called the Warthog? Why is the B-17 called the Flying Fortress? Because that's what someone named them. :) At this point, you're going to have to ask Braben. It's his game and his choice.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom