Why the animals aren't the stars of the game - and what needs to be done about it

I think update is great! I work in a game industry and I'm afraid this topic was created too late to make it into the update. If new coat variations are same as paintjobs in our game, it could take another few months to make it into the update. But I believe we will get it. It's not that easy. You cannot just change colors. Only testing will take several weeks at least (you have to test it for each species, size, sex in different enviroments (walking, sitting etc.) i guess, so not something they can do in such short time.

I think update is great! I work in a game industry and I'm afraid this topic was created too late to make it into the update. If new coat variations are same as paintjobs in our game, it could take another few months to make it into the update. But I believe we will get it. It's not that easy. You cannot just change colors. Only testing will take several weeks at least (you have to test it for each species, size, sex in different enviroments (walking, sitting etc.) i guess, so not something they can do in such short time.

The request for color variations is a lot older than this thread, though. However, Frontier showed with the upcoming update again, that when they imrpove things, they do it great. So the waiting is definately worth in the end, I'm sure.

I am pretty sure its comming in the update after this big one. Read it somewere in the forum where I think one of the community managers said it. Will try to find it.

EDIT: Oh it is actually in this thread, on page 5.

Last edited:
There's definitely a lot of good feedback in this thread! Rest assured this is still on the radar for Planet Zoo, and the team have been working on it (among other things). We're prepping another update at the moment but please know that colour variations won't be addressed yet in this one - however it's planned in for another one soon after! Thanks for your patience <3!
[/
Is the male lion going to be fixed as in the cartoony and outdated look or just color variations? It would be great if we can get realistic looking lions before color variations.

@Swjosdotschka

Didn't you once post a mile long thread around the beta, totally upset by the players who were concerned about animal behavior because they couldn't bond with the "cartoon animals"? (Not sure how you described it)

Well, you're a little bit late to the party but i'm nonetheless glad that you deciced to hop on the train, even though we might have slightly different reasons.

Everything that spices the animals up is deeply appreciated and beneficial for both, the management masochists and the cartoon cuddlers.

@Swjosdotschka

Didn't you once post a mile long thread around the beta, totally upset by the players who were concerned about animal behavior because they couldn't bond with the "cartoon animals"? (Not sure how you described it)

No, wasn't me. First, I wouldn't post a thread seperate from a discussion of other players, if I don't agree. I would answer to the thread. Second, I wouldn't post a thread about other players and point my fingers at them because they complain about something. If I disagree, again, I add to a thread.
Third, I voiced my concerns about the lack of social interactions in the beta already. I was in the same boat. And I said I couldn't bond with them, because time was running WAY too fast. However, they said interactions where just left out of the beta. (To be honest, it doesn't feel like it, we still have too little, but they say they'll change it with the upcoming update).

In short: You got me totally confused with someone else. ;) I was always complaining about the animals being beautiful but not something we can bond with.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, i thought i once read said thread from someone with a similiar name and the exact same pic.

Well, then i'm even more glad that we were on the same train all the time.

Ironically i have to admit that i actually didn't spent that much time to observe the animals. Just like you I invest a lot of time into building stuff. Like 90% of the time. In all the over 250 whatever hours playtime i never had more than 2 Species at once in a zoo, because they were just quick setups to milk enough money to fund my megalomaniac construction projects.

But maybe one day, in the far future, i will finally get my entrance finished so i can spend more time looking for the animals (After additional 250 hours designing their habitats)

I'm sorry, i thought i once read said thread from someone with a similiar name and the exact same pic.
I was involved in a long discussion with a user that was thinking those who want to bond with pixel animals have a psychic problem (which still lets me eyeroll), so maybe you just confused his and my position.

I guess most of us build most of the time by now ^^ Those who are a bit overwhelmed or not interesting in building dropped the game, unfortunately. I love the planet univers for what it is and I love building. But I am sure I would also spend more time with the animals if they were more interesting to look at for a longer time-span. So individualism, more behaviour etc. is needed.

Absolutely, altough given the time we spend to build I totally wouldn't mind a whopping DLC just dedicated to that...

If i'm correct, the next update will boost the chance for social animations. A simple, yet elegant solution and also a good step into the right direction.

Absolutely, altough given the time we spend to build I totally wouldn't mind a whopping DLC just dedicated to that...

Me neither, but currently we might to get burned on the stake for that. :D There is a current movement in the forums that seems to think that PlanZoo has too much building pieces and that this is the reason for the lack of animal variety in the DLCs. I don't agree, though, and I think it should never be a "either animals or building pieces" discussion.

But it could be a "Only Animal AND Only Building DLC discussion. I would rather prefer seperate DLCs dedicated to Animals and others to Buildings. Each with a similar price tag as the all in one package, but with like twice the amount of Animals/Building pieces.

I will buy the SA expansion anyway, but on the one side the Animal roster is a bit... small. And on the other side the Mayan pieces are very specific and probably won't fit with many other themes (Unless you focus on one style and/or design themed sections).

I'm sensing a Sims4 DLC related idea :D
Expansions/game-packs/Stuff-packs (expansion/animal/building pieces)

I think it's a good idea to separate a few DLC like that.
I don't have any issue with that.
I'm not sure people will like it if building packs could be more frequent (they cost less time to make) than animal packs.

I'm not sure people will like it if building packs could be more frequent (they cost less time to make) than animal packs.

Would stop the discussion if the builders are the reason there aren't more animals in a pack and the "what about the "normal" people" and stuff.
Don't know if it would be wise from a business point of view, but I would be overly curious to look at the sales then. I'd buy all, but it would really intterest me, if there are as much builders in the community as it seems.

From a business point of view you look at the time and costs that apply during the period you work on the DLC, the amount of content possible to do in that time, making sure there is enough balanced material in the pack, estimate sales and then calculate how much it will cost.

Probably they expect lesser sales when they seperate the packs and thus cant cover the costs.

With quarterly packs they ensure with their average sales they have a steady cashflow that cover all thos costs.

I understand people like to see different but from a.business perspective that is prpbably not the most profitable solution, and maybe even more work in the end.

I saw someone else mentioning (not sure this thread) about GTA 5 having so much updates that are free. But they are making billions on shark cards. Thats not the business model pf Frontiers games though (thanks for that)

Last edited:
Would stop the discussion if the builders are the reason there aren't more animals in a pack and the "what about the "normal" people" and stuff.
Don't know if it would be wise from a business point of view, but I would be overly curious to look at the sales then. I'd buy all, but it would really intterest me, if there are as much builders in the community as it seems.

I think there are a lot of builders in the community, but I think Frontier is taking the wrong cues from that - if you look at some of the big-name YouTubers who play a lot of Zoo, you'll see that they all seem to going in the direction of building 'realistic' zoos rather than big bombastic ones. Most of them did the same thing with PlanCo. To that end, I think Frontier's mistake is that they're giving us the ability to build a gigantic Mesoamerican temple when what people really want is the ability to build a convincing parking lot, to use one example.

There also seems to be a lot of complaints about the lack of variety in certain objects, primarily the education boards (I complain about this, too, whenever it comes up). So that's another thing I think Frontier needs to examine - do they really need to pour so much manpower into these huge theme park-style "weenies" when most of their fans would be pretty happy with more basic content?

I think there are a lot of builders in the community, but I think Frontier is taking the wrong cues from that - if you look at some of the big-name YouTubers who play a lot of Zoo, you'll see that they all seem to going in the direction of building 'realistic' zoos rather than big bombastic ones. Most of them did the same thing with PlanCo. To that end, I think Frontier's mistake is that they're giving us the ability to build a gigantic Mesoamerican temple when what people really want is the ability to build a convincing parking lot, to use one example.

There also seems to be a lot of complaints about the lack of variety in certain objects, primarily the education boards (I complain about this, too, whenever it comes up). So that's another thing I think Frontier needs to examine - do they really need to pour so much manpower into these huge theme park-style "weenies" when most of their fans would be pretty happy with more basic content?
My observations as well. While modern zoos do a lot of theming, we are lacking in generic pieces. And yes, mire education boards please. Especially non-electric ones.

For me it's a bit like with the animals. Some thinngs are pretty glorified overall but still lack at the base.
In this case I don't worry though. Things will come, feedback will be heard.

I personally don't think builders are the reason why there aren't more animals in a pack. JWE is a good example on how we could expect DLC (= no big dino packs) and PC didn't have any big DLC either. (The Back to Jurassic Park DLC for JWE was a very interesting one)
I just think they are very themed focused, which means a mix of all. I don't think there any hidden intentions behind these DLC at all.

In another topic they mentioned a 'zoo basic' DLC with typical zoo building pieces. I could see that one work without animals. And for example: Tigris115 created an African animals wishlist - I could see that one work without building pieces.

Top Bottom