Why to be careful around Planet Surface Stations :(

So, long story short, I had my fully kitted out Conda, in it a fighter pilot who I "raised" from harmless to deadly (elite was approx 60% away), And met up with a few friends at a station, one of them landed on the ground, I started to horse around and suddenly... shields gone, anaconda clinging onto its hull for about 4 seconds and bam... rebuy screen and time to visit a detention center... almost started filing a bug report as I did not get why my ship was suddenly attacked by the station, found that you can check your "shiplog" under your PC's Users files.... and there it was I g Squashed A Skimmer... a Goliath one to be more precise.... so yeah, sadface and loss of a very good and "grown to mah heart" pilot, just go for a pad tap it with the nose and than go horizontal for the landing for me from here on out.... (just wanted to share the "experience" hope others wont have to go trough it) Fly Safe... Land Safer

... yes, have paid similar way (luckily not with npc wingman active) for bad done landing with conda load with wing cargo mission run. Financial penalty for this pilot error was high. All this with more as three years experience with ED ... :D this game can kill your ship much better as the best griefer :) ... my further surface landing were done without that one "additional" boost :D

Last edited:
I lost my first fighter pilot the other day too (mostly harmless to dangerous). Not very happy. It;s insane the destruction of effort when he dies, not only you got half XP every time you used him for NOTHING, but mine had also made 140m credits out of me which I could use back now. Where is his will and why aren't I in it? Don't tell me he spent it all on onionhead and betelgeusian hookers? Although, the way he flew, that's probably exactly what he did with it. Anyway...

Disappointing game design to throw away player effort like that (there's a name for it, it's called destruction of information), and now that CnP is less draconian as regards clean jurisdictions, the fighter crew xp theft and subsequent loss, is my number 1 issue with the game. There should at least be a rescue pod where you got killed so you can go and save them.

Last edited:
Between the confiscatory pay rates and permadeath, I have no interest in taking on any crew members until sensible changes are in place.

My condolences for your loss.

Between the confiscatory pay rates and permadeath, I have no interest in taking on any crew members until sensible changes are in place.

My condolences for your loss.
^This essentially. The fact you can loose your ship and your pilot, because something like park distance control isn't available, is a bit unnecessary.

Heh, reading my own post back just gave me an idea. :)

Why don't we have the fighter crew give back some of the money they earned on death? Would certainly lessen the blow to a degree if I got 2/3rds of what I'd paid him back if he dies, would have been about 110m in my case. At the rebuy screen you are informed that he named you in his will for X amount. That would be kinda cool, but I;d still prefer he didn't permanently die at all, especially not with some of my XP, I care much less about the cash.

I lost my crew member after a botched spaceport landing in my cutter....got hung up on the Flood lights,....Loiteriing warning and before I could clear the pad and the station ....executed. Goodbye Master (from Harmless) NPC.

Death for loitering is harsh, perma death for NPC crew is too harsh.

So, long story short, I had my fully kitted out Conda, in it a fighter pilot who I "raised" from harmless to deadly (elite was approx 60% away), And met up with a few friends at a station, one of them landed on the ground, I started to horse around and suddenly... shields gone, anaconda clinging onto its hull for about 4 seconds and bam... rebuy screen and time to visit a detention center... almost started filing a bug report as I did not get why my ship was suddenly attacked by the station, found that you can check your "shiplog" under your PC's Users files.... and there it was I g Squashed A Skimmer... a Goliath one to be more precise.... so yeah, sadface and loss of a very good and "grown to mah heart" pilot, just go for a pad tap it with the nose and than go horizontal for the landing for me from here on out.... (just wanted to share the "experience" hope others wont have to go trough it) Fly Safe... Land Safer

Installations are real picky about what you accidentally crush; so, anyway I'm sure you've now figured this out. For the record? Don't recommend levelling a crew member. Hire, fire as needed. Frontier considers them just as expendable. Forming an attachment to them, only makes it worse.

Sorry for your loss. o7

Well there you go, guess who's at fault here?

I don't know, the commander for accidentally squishing an automated drone, or the developer who figures squishing a drone that's potentially unable to be seen (and not shooting it) is sufficient cause to trigger lethal force against an entire wing. Oh, you're blaming the commander. Right, my bad.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the condolences, the idea to hire an expert than fire it after the mission might be the way to go, the whole permadeath is a bit too harsh, it would be nice if we could recover them in a pod within 1-2 hours... But frontier decides and we can only suggest :)

OP, condolences for the loss.

It would be quiet easy to alleviate all of this, just have the option to pay a higher insurance amount to cover any NPC crew. If you don't like your NPC serf, you don't pay the high premium, if you do want him/her/it to survive, you fork over the extra credits. And to make it a conscious decision, you can only 'tick the box' at a station when docked !

who needs weapons when yo can just throw a skimmer at the Thargoid mothership.........

Legit if a thargoid scout crashed into a Skimmer? My money is on the skimmer. Wouldn't surprise me a Cyclops variant crashing into a goliath would probably be worse off too.

Skimmers really hurt. Remember when skimmers rained from the skies and we were instagibbed? Good times. Good times.

OP, condolences for the loss.

It would be quiet easy to alleviate all of this, just have the option to pay a higher insurance amount to cover any NPC crew. If you don't like your NPC serf, you don't pay the high premium, if you do want him/her/it to survive, you fork over the extra credits. And to make it a conscious decision, you can only 'tick the box' at a station when docked !

Or even simpler, make it a rebuy optoin. I like this idea.

who needs weapons when yo can just throw a skimmer at the Thargoid mothership.........

This too, please populate all Tech Brokers with the latest secret Federation technology... The Skimmer Launcher! The deadliest weapon to ever grace the Milky Way.

Legit if a thargoid scout crashed into a Skimmer? My money is on the skimmer. Wouldn't surprise me a Cyclops variant crashing into a goliath would probably be worse off too.

Skimmers really hurt. Remember when skimmers rained from the skies and we were instagibbed? Good times. Good times.

haha, actually not bad - an amusing thought... cloaked skimmer mine field. Let the goids come!

All the kids are playing with them in Eravate these days : Faulcon DeLacy fidget skimmers!

fidget-toy-hand-spinner-2.gif

verminstar

Banned

Fun times indeed, I lost the python twice to skimmer rain...extra annoying cos the first time I was trying to land...the second time happened several minutes later while trying to take off...I stopped using planetary landings entirely until they fixed it after that.

I have a drone I fly over the playing fields on the estate...take note frontier, it has an in built collision detector which means it wont bump into anything...it wont bump into anything even when ye try to do it intentionally. So a toy drone that cost less than 300 notes in 2018 is smarter than yer skimmers in 3300 whatever...just sayin

Top Bottom