Why we still cannot hold cargo in stored ships?

When people say "search the forum we already answered " it usually means they had a big argument and never resolved the issue
Looking back on the whole bunch of linked threads sure indicates that Fdev never answered the question and the Forum readers who resist change are simply arguing in a circular manner about why you shouldn't be allowed to do it, feeling that the last time they disagreed was sufficient to close the matter.

The issue exists right now, not because of any design decision. It exists right now because of a lack of foresight in designing the inventory system. The cargo isn't part of the ship, it is part of the player.
A player IS capable of storing cargo off of their ship if they own a Fleet Carrier (which has its own cargo), so surely whatever feared exploits might happen would be equally possible if a player owned a fleet carrier.

I seem to think the reason why we can't have ship specific cargo is that the FC owners feel that they spent a lot of money to get the privilege and you have to join the club if you want it too. (This argument is consistent with their argument for why non FC owners can't micro-jump)

I seem to think the reason why we can't have ship specific cargo is that the FC owners feel that they spent a lot of money to get the privilege
Really? Do you honestly think that those who own a Fleet Carrier have the ear of Frontier and are demanding that others be disadvantaged because of that?

Surely, if Frontier wished they could have changed this 'feature' at any point in the last 6 years or so - there have been plenty of requests in that time for change...

Really? Do you honestly think that those who own a Fleet Carrier have the ear of Frontier and are demanding that others be disadvantaged because of that?

Surely, if Frontier wished they could have changed this 'feature' at any point in the last 6 years or so - there have been plenty of requests in that time for change...
There was no reason to do so in the past 6 years. You never left your ship at port. The assumption was you transferred your cargo from one ship to the other.

The situation has changed. The topic requires a revisit.
It's not FC owners who have prevented it from changing. It is FC owners who are throwing a tantrum today trying to shut down the discussion.

Looking back on the whole bunch of linked threads sure indicates that Fdev never answered the question and the Forum readers who resist change are simply arguing in a circular manner about why you shouldn't be allowed to do it, feeling that the last time they disagreed was sufficient to close the matter.
lol
The issue exists right now, not because of any design decision. It exists right now because of a lack of foresight in designing the inventory system. The cargo isn't part of the ship, it is part of the player.
A player IS capable of storing cargo off of their ship if they own a Fleet Carrier (which has its own cargo), so surely whatever feared exploits might happen would be equally possible if a player owned a fleet carrier.
Maybe we "become the fleet carrier" or something when we transfer cargo to it? Either way it seems like spaghetti code that needs unravelling
I seem to think the reason why we can't have ship specific cargo is that the FC owners feel that they spent a lot of money to get the privilege and you have to join the club if you want it too. (This argument is consistent with their argument for why non FC owners can't micro-jump)
I'm sure most FC owners don't think like this but as for forum discourse this sounds about right tbh, I've noticed that some sort of 'feature envy' drives most of the discord. If I took a drink every-time someone responded to a suggestion to improve the experience with "I don't want the devs working on feature X" every time someone made a harmless suggestion on here I would be dead. Or the classic "I don't want to do this so I don't want YOU to do this." So that's all the search function is likely to bring up, not any answers.

It is FC owners who are throwing a tantrum today trying to shut down the discussion.
Oh, absolutely - I guess you don't have a FC then?
Don't bother - they are dreadful, cost millions in upkeep and clutter up all of the interesting systems.

I'd have thought, with the alpha of Odyssey demonstrating the 'freedom' of being able to not "be one's ship", that if the current mechanic deserved review it might have been introduced and feedback taken.

But, it doesn't hurt to bring out the dead horse again, it is common enough in the forum, and - who knows - it may even have a little life left.

Of course, the debate wouldn't also be joined in by the 'serious' BGS players or PP players who could instantly see the 'advantage' of shipping 700+ units of cargo, entirely risk-free between two ports, would it?

There was no reason to do so in the past 6 years. You never left your ship at port. The assumption was you transferred your cargo from one ship to the other.

The situation has changed. The topic requires a revisit.
It's not FC owners who have prevented it from changing. It is FC owners who are throwing a tantrum today trying to shut down the discussion.

I’m not a fleet carrier owner, but I don’t understand why you need to leave a powered down ship with a hold full of (now) rotting Imperial Slaves at a station.

I’m not a fleet carrier owner, but I don’t understand why you need to leave a powered down ship with a hold full of (now) rotting Imperial Slaves at a station.
There are no in-game mechanics that dictate how long you can store your cargo hold full of imperial slaves. Remember, every time you log out docked at station, your ship gets shut down.
There is no mechanic in the game which dictates when cargo has spoiled.

Aren't you worried about all the passengers that commanders leave stranded sitting in their cabins when a commander logs off for the night? Work might get the best of them and they might not be able to log in for a couple of weeks... The economy seats don't even offer complimentary beverages.

There are no in-game mechanics that dictate how long you can store your cargo hold full of imperial slaves. Remember, every time you log out docked at station, your ship gets shut down.

Does it? Seems to still be on when I log in, the hanger lights are off but the ship seems powered up.

There is no mechanic in the game which dictates when cargo has spoiled.

Aren't you worried about all the passengers that commanders leave stranded sitting in their cabins when a commander logs off for the night? Work might get the best of them and they might not be able to log in for a couple of weeks... The economy seats don't even offer complimentary beverages.

Passengers complain when left unattended for prolonged periods of time. How do you know what the economy passengers get? We’re not allowed out of the cockpit.

Fair enough. Still the question of why you’d want to store a ship’s cargo hasn’t been answered.
Reread the thread...

Edit: sorry that reply was unproductive.
I think many of the reasons fleet carriers owners have to storing cargo on their carriers would apply to this situation, just on a smaller scale.

Last edited:
Why would you not want to store a ship's cargo?

Some people ask all the wrong questions.
Because I don't want to play the market manipulation game in any of its variations.
Because I don't want to be able to transfer cargo from place to place without flying it myself, and even if I did I would want some sort of transport manager sub game to do it.
Because on the remote chance after all this time that Odyssey and FCs have changed the game enough that Frontier want to expand storage I would want a proper warehouse not a cluttered up ship.

Why would you not want to store a ship's cargo?

Some people ask all the wrong questions.

I don’t see the point when I have to fly the cargo to it’s destination before using that ship anyway. Might as well drop it off first.

If they introduced warehousing that would be different. But the only reason I can see for storing loaded ships is to try and exploit the ship transfer mechanism to avoid pirates.

Some people jump to the wrong conclusions.

Last edited:
Reread the thread...

Edit: sorry that reply was unproductive.
I think many of the reasons fleet carriers owners have to storing cargo on their carriers would apply to this situation, just on a smaller scale.

I get storage/warehousing, although it’s not really pertinent to me, but you can’t use a ship while it’s being a cargo container. With a FC the storage allows you to spend longer at a mining site as well as reducing travel time when taking it to market.

The only time this irked me is when I couldn't switch from a ship full of modular terminals or some other unobtainium to a smaller ship. If they "left" my cargo at station to pick up later and allowed me to switch ships, I would be more than happy. Earlier this was countered by "no commodity storage because you will hack the BGS!" - quote from Sandro Sammarco, then-lead-designer of Elite, but is now a complete moot point due to fleet carriers. So yeah, they could look into it. Transporting cargo is kinda silly, would be a QoL feature, but should come with a hefty discouraging fee, because basically you would then be a mission giver to someone ;-)

If you want a real answer, ask the Devs or search for any comment they made about it. Players do not have any real answers and if we did, it just something the Devs said.
If you want to debate the topic, keep posting.

Top Bottom