Why we still cannot hold cargo in stored ships?

If storing loaded ships became a thing, but also the cost of transferring that ship had to include a hefty "insurance" fee to cover "accidents", and there was always a random chance of the ship being pirated, destroyed, or simply stolen by the contract pilot during the transfer, I wonder how many people would still want the feature?

I’m not a fleet carrier owner, but I don’t understand why you need to leave a powered down ship with a hold full of (now) rotting Imperial Slaves at a station.
The dykes of Frisia always required something living as a sacrifice for the greater good. This is just the continuation of age old tradition. Space Frisians if I may put it like this. Deep-rooted, primal, cultural tradition.

Is it very difficult to implement? It's not needed? Nobody asks that? Developers don't know how to do this? So many questions...
it's so that you can't create "mule" ships that you can transfer using the ship transfer function. However, the solution to that, that is both fair and equitable to both sides, is to allow the storage of cargo in stations, enable that transfer button to work on stations. That way we can store a fair amount of cargo on a station, you'd still have to go get it, Fdev can regulate the amount of said storage by adjusting the number alotted to station storage, and avoid potential abuse of the ship transfer.

Against station rules? For all they know you’ve got a hold full of Imperial Slaves, those things go off when there’s no power.

Cargo Bay Life Support​

Essential for transporting slaves or live animals. Flying through space without it will turn slaves into fertiliser and live animals into animal meat. In both cases this is a major financial loss. Economists might argue that animal meat should be more expensive than the live animals they come from but not in this game.

Source
Imagine the Salt these days If this was in ED now... :D
(Which at least would let you cure the animal meat...)

Maybe we should be able to rent some storage in stations to be fair to us poor players without a carrier :p
Well i was thinking about that. You could use this as a method of introducing players to the upkeep mechanic present in carriers, just to get them to understand the concept of upkeep.

Perhaps something like this, every player is able to store up to 1000t per station, charged a storage fee of 100 credits per ton, per week (only usage is charged). And your upkeep bill is totalled based on the totality of storage used galaxy wide. You could give fleet carrier owners the ability to allot some of their cargo hold toward storage space, or have a purchasable module in which to allow players to use cargo storage, the carrier owner can set the limits and fees. ranging from 0-1000t per player, and storage fee per ton, ranging from 0(free storage)- 1000cr/t(expensive storage.), that way allowing another passive but not game breaking income stream to FC owners.

Imagine the Salt these days If this was in ED now... :D
(Which at least would let you cure the animal meat...)
yeah I always assumed that to be the case in regards to living things. Its just much more convenient if the cargo bay has a life support or ties into the ship's life support. Easy lore reason and no coding needed.

Regarding cargo topic - would it make sense to show some animations in the docking bay of moving cargo ship to the station and back? Also some windows leading to adjoined landing bays showing as ships in there are loading and unloading would be cool.
In general station interiors lack interactivity - would be great if e.g. commanders re-spawn in very specific place like med-bay after being killed.
Having to use starport services via terminal located on landing pad (instead of ship panel) if ship doesn't have basic/advanced docking computer.
Being able to send/transport ships to chosen system/station (not only to the current one) would be also nice feature.

I don't have time to try it before alpha ends: what happens if you leave a ship on a random station with cargo in it, and go away on foot with an apex shuttle?
Can you take another ship in another station?

If the answer is yes, this would be a bad looking work around, which makes the argument pertinent to odyssey, and would deserve a mechanic like a storage rent to alleviate that.

If the answer is no, it'd be even worse because it would feel a very gamey restriction.

Regarding cargo topic - would it make sense to show some animations in the docking bay of moving cargo ship to the station and back? Also some windows leading to adjoined landing bays showing as ships in there are loading and unloading would be cool.
People have already complained about running the 200m when exiting the ‘Vette, imagine their response if they had to wait while space-stevedores discharge and back loaded their cargo!

I would vote for the ability so sell and buy second-hand ships. And exchange ships blueprints in game to engineer base models.
that is part of my crafting system proposal and out of scope for this thread, but dm me, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I don't have time to try it before alpha ends: what happens if you leave a ship on a random station with cargo in it, and go away on foot with an apex shuttle?

If the answer is yes, this would be a bad looking work around, which makes the argument pertinent to odyssey, and would deserve a mechanic like a storage rent to alleviate that.

If the answer is no, it'd be even worse because it would feel a very gamey restriction.
I believe I have seen posts saying that if your active ship contains cargo then you can't get into any of your other ships at a different station but you could after emptying the active ship.

Last time I tried I had to initiate a transfer of my active ship to my new location and it just deleted the cargo without warning.

Last edited:
Wut? That's rubbish
Well for starters, nobody would ever actually fly cargo haulers anymore, they'd just load up an all-cargo cheapo fit on a bunch of T9s, jump in their 50+LY Asp, go to the destination and transfer them all over in one go. That'd be a pretty big exploit, magicking tens of thousands of tonnes of cargo across the galaxy without actually flying it over or using an FC... noting cargo haul mechanics (and in particular mission rewards related to it) are tied to the distance needed to be traversed, this would circumvent that entirely.

Just because you can't think of the exploits doesn't mean there aren't any.

Well for starters, nobody would ever actually fly cargo haulers anymore, they'd just load up an all-cargo cheapo fit on a bunch of T9s, jump in their 50+LY Asp, go to the destination and transfer them all over in one go. That'd be a pretty big exploit, magicking tens of thousands of tonnes of cargo across the galaxy without actually flying it over or using an FC... noting cargo haul mechanics (and in particular mission rewards related to it) are tied to the distance needed to be traversed, this would circumvent that entirely.

Herr's a simple solution... you don't allow ships with cargo to be transported, or you charge a fee that would make it unprofitable to engage in the activity.

Herr's a simple solution... you don't allow ships with cargo to be transported, or you charge a fee that would make it unprofitable to engage in the activity.
And therefore unprofitable to transfer ships at all. Might as well remove ship transfers at that point. And sure, don't allow ships with cargo maybe, then wait for the wail of posts just like this one wondering why it can't be done and how stupid it is that it's not.

And like i said, this is just one of many exploits which could be achieved.

But that's an invented exploit. You have to deliberately design the exploit in by not associating ship transfer costs (or queue times) with the commodities they hold.

Top Bottom