Why does Frontier always have a major sale for Elite Dangerous ($8.99 USD on Steam right now) immediately after an update? They did the same thing last September. Why not wait a few more weeks until they had a chance to patch the game? First impressions matter, and a lot of folk grabbing ED on sale will have some bad first impressions because of all the various inevitable bugs that come with every major update.

It just seems like really dumb timing, again. 🤷

Sale.png

Last edited:
It makes sense to have the sale at the time of the update, as that's when the game is likely to be noticed more. Having the sale a couple of weeks later would miss the boat - people want new toys now, and if FD can make the offer too good to refuse, they get more sales.

I'd have bought a new alt in this sale if not for (imminent lack of) VR. :)

Not necessarily. Guy buys game now, encounters lots of bugs, asks for refund, vs guy buys games three weeks from now after patches, enjoys games, asks for Arx.
I know. It's just you can invest the cash you have now and have return on it. So that's why cash now is worth more in a clean model without any other factors.

I think the "New Release" section was clogged by old EA titles. Who knows, maybe that's a way to ensure the title got some attention despite the new games section getting swamped by EA oldies.

Probably because when marketing departments get an idea into their heads, only an apocalypse resulting in the destruction of said marketing department will result in a re-evaluation of that decision.

"The product isn't working yet"

"The business plan says we release today, full steam ahead".

They got so much money from commanders buying ARX to buy FC livery that they had to discount the game itself to prevent having a positive Ebit and ending up paying taxes.

Seriously, I don't know. I don't even know the bugs you are talking about. There are fewer than ever. There has never been none, why should they wait for THIS to happen?

I just wish they reflected those sales in the frontier store again.
Right, they only sell through Steam. Depending on the volume, Valve takes 20-30% fee depending on revenue. I wonder why FDev did that, considering they run their own store anyway.

Why does Frontier always have a major sale for Elite Dangerous ($8.99 USD on Steam right now) immediately after an update? They did the same thing last September. Why not wait a few more weeks until they had a chance to patch the game? First impressions matter, and a lot of folk grabbing ED on sale will have some bad first impressions because of all the various inevitable bugs that come with every major update.

It just seems like really dumb timing, again. 🤷

Because the media articles written about the update is free advertising for FDev and they take advantage of it by discounting the game to encourage sales.

At the risk of appearing cynical, FDev's marketing department don't care about bugs.
All they care about is turning interest in ED into sales.
Once somebody's bought a copy of the game, then it's up to the code-monkeys to provide new customers with an experience that'll retain their interest.

It's no good putting the game on sale in 3 month's time, when all the bugs (however many there might be) are fixed, because the free publicity - in the shape of media articles - is happening now.

If ever there was an update not aimed at new players, it's the Carriers update. Even with magic money, a newbie can't get to own a carrier in less than a few weeks. A few months, without help.

If ever there was an update not aimed at new players, it's the Carriers update. Even with magic money, a newbie can't get to own a carrier in less than a few weeks. A few months, without help.

True, but still, Stealthie has a point. It's about the publicity. Even if the new player has to find out later the price tag of the newly released content that one gamer magazine was talking about. As long as he cashed in, a vendor doesn't give a damn.

Not now it's 250 LY to reach "New Borann" and 400 LY on average to sell LTD at a decent price. lol. And Tritium hauling has been cut to 46k T profit, for 80 LY routes that i can see. Less profit is you want a short under 20LY route.

Gonna be a be shock for those starting "now", compared to a month ago.

It makes sense to have the sale at the time of the update, as that's when the game is likely to be noticed more. Having the sale a couple of weeks later would miss the boat - people want new toys now, and if FD can make the offer too good to refuse, they get more sales.

I'd have bought a new alt in this sale if not for (imminent lack of) VR. :)

Anyone know if Legacy Lifetime pass holders can get a cheap alt account direct from FDev? or is it best to grab this deal, £5.99 in sterling? Edit, £11.99 is you want a Horizons Alt account.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Guy buys game now, encounters lots of bugs, asks for refund, vs guy buys games three weeks from now after patches, enjoys games, asks for Arx.

I doubt there are a significant number of people asking for refunds on that basis. Or likely any basis. And FD would take any such figures into consideration.

As mentioned previously, it's because a new content update functions as additional marketing material. A few review sites will cover the new update, potential players will hear about the game and then these potential players will see Elite is on sale -> therefore some of them will impulse-buy the product.

Top Bottom