Will ps+ be required to play Elite Dangerous?

How is that a "bold claim to make"?

ED on Xbox One requires Xbox Live Gold for Open and Private, so why wouldn't the PS4 version require PS+ for the same modes?

Destiny only requires ps+ for raids, versus etc so it's a safe bet it'll work similar to the xbox version which only requires gold for open and private groups (coop)

Deleted member 110222

D
How is that a "bold claim to make"?

ED on Xbox One requires Xbox Live Gold for Open and Private, so why wouldn't the PS4 version require PS+ for the same modes?

Okay, my hooves up.

I am going by hearsay here. A friend of mine told me that PS+ isn't needed for a lot of games.

For mp games it is needed now. Used to be before the ps4 u didn't need it to play mp but now it is required for most if not all mp games. MMS is one of games that doesn't require it though, there are some that don't need it but not a lot I think

Source? Quite a bold claim to make.

I've bin looking. Can't find it, must have bin my mistake.

I though I was sure I read it on a Playstation website somewhere. but.. nope...

Till proven otherwise, I must retract my answer.

I don't know if PSN+ is needed for open mode.

Okay, my hooves up.

I am going by hearsay here. A friend of mine told me that PS+ isn't needed for a lot of games.

Free-to-play (F2P) games such as World of Tanks (generally?) don't need PS+ (unlike on Xbox One, where XBL Gold is actually needed for World of Tanks).

But PS+ is needed* for online multiplayer on non-F2P games on PS4... i.e. most the vast majority of MP games.

Given that PS+ is a standard requirement for MP on PS4, as XBL Gold is for MP on Xbox One, and given that Gold is needed for the MP components of Elite: Dangerous on Xbox One (Open and Private), it is a natural and logical assumption that PS+ would be needed for those same modes on PS4.

As above, it makes perfect sense for it to be needed, and no sense for it to not be needed.

Xbox One needs Gold for MP, and ED on Xbox One needs Gold for MP modes.

PS4 needs PS+ for MP, so surely ED on PS4 will need PS+ for MP modes...

-------------

EDIT

* Quote from the link:

SONY said:
Online play without a subscription

You don’t need to be a PlayStation Plus member to play online on your PlayStation 3 or PS Vita, but we recommend subscribing as it allows you to take advantage of all the extra features you receive when you join.

You also do not need to be a member of PlayStation Plus to play non-synchronous games on the PlayStation 4. Synchronous games are games where two consoles need to be synched up to communicate with each other in real time - for example if you are playing co-op or competition mode on a shooting or racing game. Non-synchronous games mean that the two consoles do not need to be communicating in real time – for example when playing turn based games like chess.

Last edited:
Follow up question about the difference between solo and open. Is open pvp or just co-op?

Solo is solo, just you and npc's.

Open mode is.. whatever you want it to be, some people you meet will be of a friendly disposition, others not. The most dangerous mode, but also the largest population & chance to meet other players (space is a big ol place and there's not a big population density except around a number of hotspots at a given time).

Private groups - sometimes set their own 'rules' like no or restricted pvp, which are not enforced via the game engine per se but by the group owner who is responsible for moderating the membership; those that break any special rules may be reported to the owner, who can investigate / ban them if they choose to do so.

Last edited:

Gary Richards

Executive Producer
Frontier

Have faith, you are correct, PS+ will be required for any game mode that has direct multi-player interaction, such as Open Play, CQC, Private Groups, etc....

Solo will be available to everyone.

It mirrors the Xbox Gold and Silver account structure.

Solo is solo, just you and npc's.

Open mode is.. whatever you want it to be, some people you meet will be of a friendly disposition, others not. The most dangerous mode, but also the largest population & chance to meet other players (space is a big ol place and there's not a big population density except around a number of hotspots at a given time).

Private groups - sometimes set their own 'rules' like no or restricted pvp, which are not enforced via the game engine per se but by the group owner who is responsible for moderating the membership; those that break any special rules may be reported to the owner, who can investigate / ban them if they choose to do so.

Thanks. If private groups exist on the ps4 that's probably how I will play the game. Now I guess I need to find a ps+ card on sale somewhere.

Thanks. If private groups exist on the ps4 that's probably how I will play the game. Now I guess I need to find a ps+ card on sale somewhere.

You can usually get them discounted at CDKeys.com, or buy discounted PSN credit there and buy it with that.

Have faith, you are correct, PS+ will be required for any game mode that has direct multi-player interaction, such as Open Play, CQC, Private Groups, etc....

Solo will be available to everyone.

It mirrors the Xbox Gold and Silver account structure.

This is what I was hoping it would be :)

Top Bottom