Will space legs be more like x4 or rebel galaxy outlaw?

Given we're getting more examples of space games with the concept of a person being in them for inspiration, felt like wondering whether space legs for elite will be better done as one way or the other.

Maybe a mix of both, the ship freedom of x4 combined with the limited scope rebel galaxy outlaw?

After seeing rebel galaxy outlaw, my gut feeling is it will be exactly like that... every time I see some footage I can't help but map the lite station services ui to the exact matches in their game.

The leak mentioned fps combat, so I'm guessing its going to be instances spawned from the mission board the will be tied to, or just thargoids with health bars littered all over the bases, that drop sparkling loot we'll have to collect for some mission objective. Actually no they'll probably be identical to skimmer missions and only spawn when a player comes in range. Bet thats exactly it.

The last two x games have more proven what's wrong with believable fps setting than what's good about it, but I think id still prefer that to what we'll most likely get, freelancer / rebel galaxy hopefully with ship interiors.

With new data what do you all think?

I'm keeping my expectations really low for space legs, treating it nothing more than a rumour, but if it were true, ED will have SC checked there somewhat. Although i can't see it happening since i'd imagine they may have alot more prioritized. Although wouldn't put it past then, they've managed to stay ahead in workable content compared to SC like actually seeing passenger missions done quite well.

But if it did come to pass, i think they could do something quite different here with the missions & to other games, especially for RvR/PvP that could give passenger ships or big transport ships a more combat specific auxiliary role. For example using Passenger ships to drop marines (picked up from a station/carrier) into a conflict zone to assault a base, while ships like the Type 10 etc could be dropping in the heavy hardware like 'tanks' etc. All this while fighter pew pew above the raging battlefield for air superiority.

If doing ship boarding, it could be made simple via the hatchet breaker limpet system, with the limpets instead being boarding pods that infiltrate through the ships hatch. Could add another element to multi crew / NPC crew both in offence & defence.

Overall though its all quite complex & mostly a pipe dream in that regard.

Last edited:
I actually think the better example of space legs is ... Star Citizen* - as it's an MMO, and has legs. I look forward to all the CMDRs standing around looking incongruous and calling for attention by jumping up and down and running around ... oh dear.

* yeah yeah, I know, but the ideas are cool even if the implementation isn't great.

I actually think the better example of space legs is ... Star Citizen* - as it's an MMO, and has legs. I look forward to all the CMDRs standing around looking incongruous and calling for attention by jumping up and down and running around ... oh dear.

* yeah yeah, I know, but the ideas are cool even if the implementation isn't great.
Some vanish tho, when they fall through the ground. It's a pretty diverse experience from a gameplay perspective.

Can someone demonstrate to me how to enjoy Space legs..... (joke)

What space legs? Nothing has been confirmed or denied concerning next year's "Big Update", why get expectations high to have them dashed by content one has convinced oneself is going to arive not being on the menu...

perhaps, not to mention you can spend up to 10 minutes before you even get your ship on the landing pad which is a pain., plus all the bugs & not much to do while space walking atm. But then when you stand back from it, its quite surreal that your buddy can be flying while you'r running around the ship jumping into turrets, repelling hostile borders. If SC ever got half those bugs sorted out& improved the ship UI with more quality of life/ease features, they'd be formidable. atm SC is frustrating to play, where with ED you can see alot of thought was put in before hand on simplicity where its matters while maintaining depth elsehwere, UI that can be used with Voice Attack, while ED seem to get things implemented & working reasonably well compared to SC. I mean there isn't even any supercruise in SC, so you are basically moving from point to point. Which shows ED game designers had thought of this long before to there credit. The same with FD, if they ever got their skates on, they'd do extremely well. But FD must keep the grind down where possible if wanting new players to get into the game easier.

Last edited:
I prefer Star Feet, mainly as it means I can doctor this and relive fuzzy memories:

More seriously, I see starfeet being a blend of both with Mass Effect Mako mixed into it. The sheer size of landing pads, stations etc is far too much for unfocused wandering before everything looks empty. A landing pad is the size of a football pitch, aside from the first walking under your ship moment, the other times will be skipped or 'why am I running for 2 minutes doing nothing?' thoughts appearing.

For example using Passenger ships to drop marines (picked up from a station/carrier) into a conflict zone to assault a base, while ships like the Type 10 etc could be dropping in the heavy hardware like 'tanks' etc. All this while fighter pew pew above the raging battlefield for air superiority.

If doing ship boarding, it could be made simple via the hatchet breaker limpet system, with the limpets instead being boarding pods that infiltrate through the ships hatch. Could add another element to multi crew / NPC crew both in offence & defence.

Both of these sound awesome, now my hopes are up, damn you ;)

The sheer size of landing pads, stations etc is far too much for unfocused wandering before everything looks empty. A landing pad is the size of a football pitch, aside from the first walking under your ship moment, the other times will be skipped or 'why am I running for 2 minutes doing nothing?' thoughts appearing.
yep that a major drawback of SC space legs there, summed it up well.

As an explorer I hope I'd be able to hop out of my SRV and go collect samples manually, explore craters and canyons by foot. And when doing core mining, would be nice to EVA to the rock and place the charges myself then go back to my ship and detonate the buggers.

But I have set my hopes up to zero. The pessimist in me says it's most likely going to be a badly designed, badly implemented bug ridden pile of cow dung, everything being just teleholopresence nonesense in the end.

I expect Space legs to be space legs a 1st person experience, but I also suspect that some of it will be heavily instanced for things such as missions and some internal areas which I can see limited to your wing mates only, which in my view is not a bad thing. I am sure there will be some common areas too, but again will be limited to the (I think) 32 commanders we get on screen at a time. I suspect that they method of transport inside a station will be via a turbo lift of some kind which will also act as a loading screen for the next area.This makes it more accessible, with less poinless/aimless running around (looking at you star citizen) and will hopefully provide a more streamlined experience.

I am hoping ships will be explorable, hopefully with some gameplay reasons for it too. No reason why they can't.

Have you played RGO? No space legs is what I heard* - any you've seen are cutscenes.

* as ever I stand ready to be corrected ;)

You're absolutely right. I think I was combining the human avatars with the least effort expectations and the close similarity of menu options. Easy target given elites standard ambition.

Here's a good question for it,
how is different planets' gravity going to affect bullet drop and resistance and so forth? I bet no one even thought of that but just think of the difference between a really low gravity planet and really high gravity planet when you're just using your SRV. Now consider a .45 caliber bullet might drop about an inch to 2 at something like 60 yards on Earth. not a lot of landable planets are exactly the same gravity as Earth a lot have low gravity or high. What about the lack of an atmosphere? That would be an awful lot of extra physics to code wouldn't it?

Or not. realistically, I have absolutely no idea how that works.

Can someone demonstrate to me how to enjoy Space legs..... (joke)

What space legs? Nothing has been confirmed or denied concerning next year's "Big Update", why get expectations high to have them dashed by content one has convinced oneself is going to arive not being on the menu...

Hey I only made a harmless request for information. It was you guys who kept talking about it for 109 pages.

Also I'm ground raw from the bottom of the barrel regarding expectations. Going from what we've got. Given theres more than a year of development to go for space legs maybe frontier are curious at what we're.... oh never mind.

When first time I started X4, I went to NPCs ship and flew away. I did not know how to return. So I started new game after that.
They promised high quality content in ED. If the legs will be added that should be cool.

Top Bottom