Will they fix the midnight black paintjob before Black Friday?

If you can't see the difference I can't help you.
No I can, I was just thinking aloud (not about EDO vs EDH as I said) that you cant get a jet black skin really, it needs to have value, it has to reflect some light. You said the current one is too brown, so presumably you prefer it has no other colour, ie dark shades of grey.

It can't actually be black is what I was saying.

No I can, I was just thinking aloud (not about EDO vs EDH as I said) that you cant get a jet black skin really, it needs to have value, it has to reflect some light. You said the current one is too brown, so presumably you prefer it has no other colour, ie dark shades of grey.

It can't actually be black is what I was saying.

This seems like you are descending into a semantic argument of the definition of words. The ship skins should match their colour and texture as they appear in Horizons (or possibly the shop images, which are different again).

I have several skins that I quite like the look of in Odyssey, but nevertheless they don't match their appearance in Horizons, or their store images. There should be consistency there, allowing for the differences in lighting engine.

I am misunderstood, this is obviously my fault, for which I apologise. I'm actually not arguing with anybody, or making points to be difficult. (I know, this is unusual for me).

I'm just saying a jet black skin won't look black, it must have value for detail to be visible. Piglet said the new one is too brown, if it's not going to be a colour (eg reds, blues etc) it needs to be grey shades for the areas where light is reflecting off the surface.

As I've said in each post, I'm not talking about the difference between EDO and EDH, just the principle that the skin can't be jet black, it must have lighter areas to see detail and look 'real', those areas can be grey or they can be colours.

That's all.

I think you're arguing with yourself at this point mate.
Nah, people have assumed I'm arguing with them, I was making an interesting point about the colour black.

Interesting to me, but to be fair I spend hours every day working with colours so ... I may not be representative.

Basically ...

fast-show-johnny.gif

Nah, people have assumed I'm arguing with them, I was making an interesting point about the colour black.

Interesting to me, but to be fair I spend hours every day working with colours so ... I may not be representative.

Basically ...

fast-show-johnny.gif

My current car is black. If I were to stop passers by & poll them on which colour it was, pretty well everyone would just say 'black'. Of course it isn't totally black & non-reflective, it's shiny painted metallic with a few matte black plastic bits. But during that poll of random passers by, a pedant might describe it as very dark red, or very dark purple, or very dark blue, or very dark grey. Their answer would not be a useful one within the context of paint colours no matter what the lighting conditions.

My current car is black. If I were to stop passers by & poll them on which colour it was, pretty well everyone would just say 'black'. Of course it isn't totally black & non-reflective, it's shiny painted metallic with a few matte black plastic bits. But during that poll of random passers by, a pedant might describe it as very dark red, or very dark purple, or very dark blue, or very dark grey. Their answer would not be a useful one within the context of paint colours no matter what the lighting conditions.
Yep. My initial response was to Piglet saying the courier in the image was too brown, and it should be jet black. My comment was it can't be jet black or there would be no detail. But it could be values that have no colour, so it would look grey shades.

That was all. 🤷‍♂️

Here's the same courier, grey, brown (original) and blue. I think they all look black, because really the colour should just be a result of the colour of the light that's reflecting from the black. Which is perhaps why the middle one is brown.

black.jpg

None of which has anything to do with the difference between EDO and EDH.

Is the problem people are seeing in EDO to do with the skin being lighter, or the colour? The image of the ASP on an earlier page was light, and blue. (from EDH afaik)

None of which has anything to do with the difference between EDO and EDH.

Is the problem people are seeing in EDO to do with the skin being lighter, or the colour? The image of the ASP on an earlier page was light, and blue. (from EDH afaik)

I think what people are seeing is that they had a skin they liked and may well have paid money for, and now it looks different. I don't fly a courier regularly, it's not one I have much of an opinion on either way but the Odyssey one in the pics above looks fine to me (all of them).

I just discovered this issue myself. I applied the "midnight black" paintjob to my Freeagle, and this is what it looks like in new condition:

rYHV25f.png

More of undercoat gunmetal than a "midnight black."

Edit: here is a clearer view inside a hangar:

z14ULKI.png

Last edited:
I just discovered this issue myself. I applied the "midnight black" paintjob to my Freeagle, and this is what it looks like in new condition:

rYHV25f.png

More of undercoat gunmetal than a "midnight black."

Edit: here is a clearer view inside a hangar:

z14ULKI.png
OMG that's disgusting! But clearly shows the difference, yeah hope they fix this pronto!!

Deleted member 182079

D
This seems like you are descending into a semantic argument of the definition of words. The ship skins should match their colour and texture as they appear in Horizons (or possibly the shop images, which are different again).

I have several skins that I quite like the look of in Odyssey, but nevertheless they don't match their appearance in Horizons, or their store images. There should be consistency there, allowing for the differences in lighting engine.
I bought the two dozen or so MNB skins based on what they looked in Horizons over the years. They now look different in EDO and certainly not for the better in my view.

Which is why I (and others) kept bringing this up in the forum every now and then in the hope that Frontier might do something to finally address them - it's interesting to see Sally's comment that they're now "chatting" about this only now, the fact the untouched skins are currently on (premium priced) sale is probably purely coincidental.

But since I see more and more "I prefer them in EDO anyways" or people who claim they don't see the difference it's probably pointless to keep bringing this up (more a note to myself as I used to over the last months but only a few others seem to give a ...), seems revisionism is slowly taking place and Frontier will probably get away with not doing anything given they'll drop off the sale in a week or two and with such a customer base if they wait long enough, especially once we don't have the Horizons client anymore to compare them with.

The fact that there are issues with a number of ship kits preventing firing of hardpoints, nothing is done about them but HEY LOOK a sale nothing to see here buy Arx.

It's a shame that Frontier doesn't (literally) keep their shop in order with regards to faulty items (personally I'd take them off until they're fixed but that's just honest and naive me) but they seem content with just keep selling these items as if everything is working fine. If people keep buying why wouldn't they I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 182079

D
Well they have nearly a year to fix them now.
Understand it's just another drive by post for the lulz but they haven't addressed them in the past six months in preparation for this year's sale so can't see why they would bother in the next twelve, especially with the Horizons client on its way out in the interim.

Top Bottom