Will turning off high precision timer improve VR performance?

I've been reading that turning off the HPET timer increases framerates in gaming. Has anyone tried this with VR to see if performance improves?

Don't think it would make any real difference as mine is already set to 1ms... I feel that turning off Windows Fast Start is a better option, so your pc actually truly shuts down, thus not increasing your 'uptime' values and causing floating point precision issues etc..

Don't think it would make any real difference as mine is already set to 1ms... I feel that turning off Windows Fast Start is a better option, so your pc actually truly shuts down, thus not increasing your 'uptime' values and causing floating point precision issues etc..

Do you think that will actually make a significant difference? I've never heard of fast start making any significant effect on performance through that but then again, you learn something new everyday. Out of curiosity, could you elaborate? The nerd in me is itching to learn. Lol

Nah, nothing significant, Fast Start is basically and form of hibernation, when enable and your PC starts it is not from a real shutdown but more of a resume, great for starting up quickly, but can cause some side effects, obviously, not going to happen everytime but I prefer to start with a clean slate, not from a resume as any errors that may have occurred may persist etc... I also sometimes wear tin foil on my head, but only when playing Elite :)

That's the impression I had, about it mainly affecting older systems. I'd venture to say it is situation dependent, but an occasional manual "normal boot" of about once a week should be more than adequate. If it actually makes a difference, your system likely has some instability, such as from overclocking or malfunctioning hardware, and you should do some testing.

As far as always leaving it that way, I personally use fast boot because I sometimes need to quickly do stuff, but if you have the time for a normal boot, it's generally better for your system as it also allows a full POST (Power On Self Test) sequence to run, but it shouldn't make a major difference in a healthy system. (If any at all other than boot time and the such.)

Nah, nothing significant, Fast Start is basically and form of hibernation, when enable and your PC starts it is not from a real shutdown but more of a resume, great for starting up quickly, but can cause some side effects, obviously, not going to happen everytime but I prefer to start with a clean slate, not from a resume as any errors that may have occurred may persist etc... I also sometimes wear tin foil on my head, but only when playing Elite :)

Me too, what's your favorite tin foil hat? :)

Top Bottom