Win 10 latest update ruined my graphics

Hi All
I don't often post but I do read a lot on the forums. Been playing ED since Premium Beta. Love the game, got over 40 weeks playtime logged. My PC is fairly high end.
Just two days ago there was a Windows update (as we often get). Allowed it to occur as usual. Afterwards my graphics performance was trashed. Previously it was great, most settings on high or ultra and game running as smooth as butter. Now I'm getting stutters, rippling effect when looking up/down and left/right and also quite a lot of frame skips.
I've tried many combinations of different settings but it makes no difference.
Updated all drivers i.e. nvidia etc.
Is anyone else experiencing this or does anyone know how to solve the problem?
ATM I'm not happy to play because the visuals just aren't good enough.
Best wishes to you all.
Martyn W - In game Cmdr Jack Lewis

Nvidia? Check the graphics settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. Maybe something changed there. Especially check that your GPU is still being used! Could be reverted to onboard graphics for some reason.

:D S

I wouldn't want to be chief windows update director, the variables for things going wrong with software and hardware are just mind boggling when you consider how many billion computers are out there (servers and desktops). Sorry to hear you are having troubles.

This may sound daft but I suggest you temporarily disable your antivirus and see if it makes a difference. Sometimes changes to Windows affect the way AVs interact with temporary files.
If this does work, you need to find out which folders are affected and turn off file scanning on them.

Nvidia? Check the graphics settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. Maybe something changed there. Especially check that your GPU is still being used! Could be reverted to onboard graphics for some reason.

Thanks for responding. Thing is my nvidia control panel is no longer available since the update, or it may be that it became inaccessible at some earlier time. Either way since ED has worked perfectly for the last year or so I've not had any need to access it. By the way I'm an old guy with almost no technical knowledge when it comes to PC issues such as configurations etc.

Thanks for responding. Thing is my nvidia control panel is no longer available since the update, or it may be that it became inaccessible at some earlier time. Either way since ED has worked perfectly for the last year or so I've not had any need to access it. By the way I'm an old guy with almost no technical knowledge when it comes to PC issues such as configurations etc.
you could rollback the update perhaps for now? I'm assuming it was a feature update or a hardware update.

Last edited:
This may sound daft but I suggest you temporarily disable your antivirus and see if it makes a difference. Sometimes changes to Windows affect the way AVs interact with temporary files.
If this does work, you need to find out which folders are affected and turn off file scanning on them.
Hmm, OK - my son has a bit of knowledge so I'll try that with I'm tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you right-click on your desktop, you will get a menu with Display Settings. Scrolling down a bit you get Advanced Display Settings, and there you can get a Display adapter properties. It should show your graphics card when you click there.

you could rollback the update perhaps for now?
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I've talked with my son about this and it's something we may try if nothing else works. He is worried that it may trash the entire PC so it's a last resort.

Just want to say thanks to you guys for the responses. I've now got some new things to try. Will do them tomorrow and report back.
A bit more background about me and Elite...
Played the original game back in the 80s and every one since. All I can say is Wow, what a game - loved every one of them.
Hope it never ends.
Going to bed now - night all

I did noticed that ED had changed to Windowed mode - and a tiny Window at that - the other day. There had been a Windows Cumulative update for build 1903, so perhaps that was the culprit? However, other than it dropping the resolution and making it Windowed mode, individual setting are fine I think - I'll double check though as I does look like AA isn't quite what it was, with things looking a bit more jaggy.

I might go and check all my settings to be sure.

Scoob.

I would also look and see what else is running when the game is running--look especially for things using the disk and cpu. Some AVs might not have a game mode and decide, "hey, I dunno what elitedangerous.exe is, but now would be a grrrreat time to do a full disk scan!"

The other thing that often eats cpu is...windows update scanning. Either one will cause problems like what you describe.

Barring that, I'd also be interested to see if something is overheating in your unit--either your GPU, CPU or both.

In that case what's almost certainly happened is that Windows Update has detected you are running an out of date version of the Nvidia graphics drivers and has helpfully updated you to the latest generic windows build of the Nvidia drivers, which of course are rubbish and won't have the nvidia control panel and advanced nvidia features, I suggest going to the Nvidia website and downloading the latest versions for your Nvidia card and installing them, it's quick and easy and should fix your problems.

These complex pieces of software can often act in unexpected ways. Finding out why is the trick, and there is no guarantee you will ever find the specific cause because of all the variables. I'm having my own problem with a sudden onset of microstuttering in supercruise. For the last two years I ran the game using a 750 Ti on high settings and encountered no issues in supercruise. Last month I upgraded to a 1050 Ti and now I have random microstutters in supercruise. The precise reason why is bewildering to me because there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to them. The only pattern I can seem to (possibly) identify is that they are more likely to occur when NPCs are in the area, and that they seem to become less frequent the more I play. But all that could just be coincidence. But even if those are valid observations, why upgrading to a more powerful GPU would trigger the issue is beyond me, and why they are limited to supercruise is another mystery. <shrug>

Well, I hope you resolve your issue. The fellas above all gave good answers worthy of a try. o7

Make sure that the NVIDIA drivers are still installed, if the control pnl is missing, it sounds like you are using the Microsoft default driver.

I do an annual reinstall of the operating system.
Wipe the SSD.
Start from scratch.

Kinda drastic if it’s not part of your routine, but if you do it once in a blue moon, just bring it forward to now.
For my part, when I have a clean and powerful installation, I make an image of my disk.

And if later I have an insoluble problem, I install the image on my disk.

It's fast, it's clean, it's ideal.

Make sure that the NVIDIA drivers are still installed, if the control pnl is missing, it sounds like you are using the Microsoft default driver.
  1. Uninstall your drivers: https://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html
  2. Restart your machine.
  3. Download the latest driver update for your card and OS: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
  4. Install the drivers.
  5. Restart your machine.
Try again.

Additional test: Repeat steps 1 through 5, only download a previous version at step 3: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx

It's what Heater said. Windows updates install their own graphics drivers if they are newer than the ones you have.
The missing nVidia menu is the clear giveaway.

Do what Red said.

Top Bottom