Wingman nav lock keeps wiping route

Hi guys got a quick question (hopefully). A friend and I just started an exploration trip in two similar jump range phantoms. Mine `62 his `64LY jump range so I'm taking point on the route. We're using the wingman nav lock for him to auto jump with me. The problem is every time he shows up to the system after me, I instant target him, and the route disappears from the Nav panel. I have to open the galaxy map real quick where it automatically re-plots the route and close it again to continue. Are we doing something wrong or is this just bugged/intended behavior? If I don't open/close the map the next system is still targeted but after that the route is wiped.

its part of the repeat process (grind) that we all know and luv so much
it is fun to do this but after a few hundred thousand replots it can get a little bit repetitive ;)
just another part of the not fully optimised MAP UI imo

Is it necessary to target your wingmate when he arrives in the system?
In other words, would this work if you didn't? I don't believe that the nav-lock should disengage.

no I don't think it will work if you intend on your wingmate auto following your jumps
personally I would plot the route then shout out via voip the next 20 jumps so he can plot them
drop a wing beacon if you want to get together again after that leg of your journey
but why are you targeting him?I don't think you have to no cant remember haven't winged up in a while now ..........................
when we do we always just link up last min via droping a wing beacon being in constant communication via a voip like teamspeak or steam chat etc is a priority when playing in a wing or solo but in same instance we constantly wing up and unwing

Last edited:
Is it necessary to target your wingmate when he arrives in the system?
In other words, would this work if you didn't? I don't believe that the nav-lock should disengage.

no I don't think it will work if you intend on your wingmate auto following your jumps
personally I would plot the route then shout out via voip the next 20 jumps so he can plot them
drop a wing beacon if you want to get together again after that leg of your journey
but why are you targeting him?I don't think you have to no cant remember haven't winged up in a while now ..........................
when we do we always just link up last min via droping a wing beacon being in constant communication via a voip like teamspeak or steam chat etc is a priority when playing in a wing or solo but in same instance we constantly wing up and unwing

Sorry for any confusion on the targeting. I'm not intentionally targeting him when he arrives after the nav lock jumps him in behind me. As soon as he arrives though my ship auto targets him for whatever reason. I thought I mentioned it earlier but this is in Odyssey if it matters. What we were expecting to do is just have me plot the course. He's nav locked to me, I jump, and the navlock jumps him to my next waypoint, repeat until we hit the end point.

What seems to actually happen is I plot the route, jump, as soon as he arrives behind me my ship targets him (in the left side holo target graphic), and I can still see the next system targeted out in space but the route itself is wiped from the Nav Panel on the left unless I open the galaxy map. At that point it auto-plots the route and it's back in the nav panel and I just close the map and can continue.

If I don't do that and jump to the next system anyway which was already targeted then the route is just gone at that point and I have to open the map, paste it back in and push the plot route button. At no point am I specifically trying to target him, my ship is just doing it when he arrives.

Oh, that is unfortunate. I was hoping to have a companion* on my next exploration jaunt (in Horizons). Seems like an obvious function to have someone follow from jump to jump...

* and that person was really hoping to accompany, being very new to the game.

Also to be more specific, we're doing a trip to Colonia and then eventually maybe Beagle Point with the intent to sightsee and explore along the way, so that's why we want to jump to the same systems and since his jump range is 2LY more than mine on average that could potentially put us in different systems. At this point I might just have to use a plotter website and get us a specific list of jumps to both use. Either way though that means opening the galaxy map a lot so it might just be easier to do the "toggle" method I was doing last night of opening/closing the map each jump assuming we don't just have something set up incorrectly somewhere.

Maybe we should test Horizons to see if it's an Odyssey bug? We were intending to do the trip in Odyssey though due to the, in our opinion at least, better lighting engine and textures.

Have you tried hitting or binding and using next target on route button, i know if i have a route set ican enter a system target a body in that system and map it i can then hit last\next target which will take me back to my plotted route, this does occasionally fail though and i have to go back to the G map. Naming may be off but it is in the targetting settings iirc.
This is in Horizons.

In Odyssey when I arrive in system, the route is still there. As soon as wingman arrives in system it auto targets him, leaving the next system targetted out in the "skybox" still as well, but the route vanishes from the left side "nav panel" until the galaxy map is toggled and it auto re-plots the route.

edit: This appears to not even be related to team nav lock now. He removed the nav lock and we independently jumped. In the next system my ship still lost the route.

Last edited:
I'm also having this problem. Makes doing trade routes in a wing a HUGE pain.... :rolleyes: Can't believe Frontier can't get anything right.
I saw there was some nav lock and map fixes in update 10 today. Hopefully it fixes it, but I won't be able to confirm for a bit as my friend that I'm making the trip with has been sick for a week+ so I'm waiting on him before continuing. Thanks to whoever added a confirmation to the issue tracker I created though :) At least if it's not fixed in the update, the issue has confirmation so it hopefully doesn't just get closed like the unconfirmed one I found from December.

Yesterday I did a wing mission in ody with two other cmdr's. Both Nav-locked to me and when I perform a system jump, both are just starting supercruise. They did not follow and jumped to the new system, just entering supercruise. By the way, yes the automated selection of wing members when entering a new instance still occurs.

Well, apparently creating an Issue Tracker thing was a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Multiple people joined in to add info to it, yet somehow it gets "expired" as "not confirmed in time". How it that a thing? They wonder why people are trashing Odyssey...............

As a work around, disabling Team Beacon can help. In your case, if you are leading the route, ask your teammate to disable their Team Beacon.

Top Bottom