Witch Head Nebula... Is that for real?

“Having analysed large amounts of exploration data, graciously provided by the galactic community, we can confirm that the Witch Head Nebula contains enough barnacle sites to meet the demand for meta-alloys. I am confident that these sites will offer a suitable alternative to the exhausted barnacles in the Pleiades Nebula.”

I expected that the target of phase 1 was to find real undiscovered barnacles sites and since many explorers were busy in the Pleiades (where Delphi is) and the nearby sectors I wonder if these new sites in the Witch Head Nebula were already there last week and actually discovered for real by some commander or if this is an event fully driven by Frontier

Barnacles were already present in the Witchhead. I googled one for a friend who was exploring out there a couple of weeks ago. Im guessing you can find same by googling cannons site.

Aegis obvs don't use search engines.

"is that for real?"

Yes? Thing is, the CG was for exploration data, for fdev to then base the next phase on something people might or might not actually have discovered? Nah. Makes no sense, and in fact if you want some sort of narrative, hey, someone has to actually make it up.

Witch Head Nebula is real - I've been there. Elephant Butt Trunk Nebula is also real, but some louse got his name on all the planets in that nebula before I could, despite my obvious right to this region of space.

Elephant Trunk Mine is one of my favourite places in game. It's really good for a photo Opportunity.

It is a bit flimsy (not Flimley) but I guess

phase 1 - barnacles are being depleted, go survey our current area to make sure

phase 2 - go ship a lot of stuff so we can build something elsewhere

I'm doing it for something to do - It's a little more involved than a normal CG. I didn't expect new gameplay this year so I'm happy enough

I expected that the target of phase 1 was to find real undiscovered barnacles sites and since many explorers were busy in the Pleiades (where Delphi is) and the nearby sectors I wonder if these new sites in the Witch Head Nebula were already there last week and actually discovered for real by some commander or if this is an event fully driven by Frontier

For this CG, i explored the Witch Head Nebula in its entirety, i found loads of Bark mounds.... not a single Barnicle.
So i would assume its made up.

However as we all know, just north of Bernards Loops is a massive permit locked region.
Could this be the first steps towards rattling that hornets nest.

Last edited:
I dont google my answers before i play, i just play.
All last week i pottered about the Witch head and other near by Nebula examining only Rocky landable bodies for Barnicles (as stipulated in the Codex... Nebula/Rocky)
I never found any. But space is big.

Rocky seems wrong
I thought they were on the Metal worlds
Cant check codex presently

This is April 3303

Screenshot-1152-1.png

Last edited:
Rocky seems wrong
I thought they were on the Metal worlds
Cant check codex presently

This is April 3303

Screenshot-1152-1.png

Im in game now.... Codex says.... Terrestrial Rocky, Terrestrial high metal, Terrestrial metal-rich.
HIP 23759 as posted by Ouberos, has the Witch Head research centre in it. I know of this place, i have it booked marked.
But i was looking for Barnicles in un-colonised systems around that area of space. Barnicles grow, so i was expecting new sites to have appeared even though that area of space has already been thoroughly mapped by other commanders going back years.

I never found any Barnicles.

Elephant Trunk Mine is one of my favourite places in game. It's really good for a photo Opportunity.

Mine too :)

For this CG, i explored the Witch Head Nebula in its entirety, i found loads of Bark mounds.... not a single Barnicle.
So i would assume its made up.

They exist. Look up CMDR Pan Piper's Google sheet.

Edit: Found some on Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/9vwybm Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/9vwybm/80_previously_undiscovered_barnacles_found_in/

Last edited:
I wonder if these new sites in the Witch Head Nebula were already there last week and actually discovered for real by some commander or if this is an event fully driven by Frontier

I can personally confirm they are there and weren't placed. I choose witch head to explore last week because I've never been there and I found several barnacle planets and even a thargoid "base". I do admit that most everything out there has been discovered already.

Well, this is the Witch Head Sector, this region spans far outside of the nebula itself. I only searched all stars and worlds within the actual nebula. The codex says that Barnicles are found within Nebula.
If these new sites are found near but not inside of, then isnt the Codex wrong?

Im not in game right now, so maybe i read it wrong.

Witch Head Nebula is real - I've been there. Elephant Butt Trunk Nebula is also real, but some louse got his name on all the planets in that nebula before I could, despite my obvious right to this region of space.

The Elephant Butt Nebula is on the opposite side of the galaxy from the Trunk. Don’t worry, I left you a few unscanned balls of ice out there.

Top Bottom