Witch Head Sector survey July 3305

Hi CMDR's
11/07/3305: I've just started a quick survey for supposedly new ''barnacle'' rich planets, I will update as I survey (when time allows):
N.B. Please note I'm not at all conversant with ''Barnacles/Thargoids and there are better OP's and Google pages elsewhere!

WITCH HEAD SECTOR HW-W C1-8 A4 (13 Thargoid Sites) New not on Canonn List as far as I can tell
WITCH HEAD SECTOR XE-Q B5-0 B1 (10 Thargoid Sites) New not on Canonn List as far as I can tell
WITCH HEAD SECTOR XE-Q B5-0 B2 (13 Thargoid Sites) New not on Canonn List as far as I can tell
...150+ Witch Head systems scanned.... still truckin!

The Canonn ''Barnacle List'' for the Witch Head Sector as of 11th July 3305:

Last edited:
Lol. New....

Sorry... not meant as cynicism towards your post, just that barnies in the witch head sector (and california sector) have been known about for nearly 3 years, so it's kinda frustrating that the enclave II is only paying attention to this now.

I suggest doing some googling around the canonn barnacle resources first so you don't waste your efforts on already known systems.

EDIT : found a list with most known sites:

Last edited:
Lol. New....
Sorry... not meant as cynicism towards your post, just that barnies in the witch head sector (and california sector) have been known about for nearly 3 years, so it's kinda frustrating that the enclave II is only paying attention to this now.
No Worries Jmanis no offense taken... I'm just leisurely surveying/mapping generally (for relaxation/pleasure, turning all those red ''not visited'' systems to blue) and thought I'd post an ''updated'' (perhaps ''newly'' seeded) barnacle survey.
One I've hit on i.e. WITCH HEAD SECTOR XE-Q B5-0 isn't in the Canonn list or elsewhere to my knowledge (I could be wrong, I'll try to get a copy of Canonn's list)... Commanders can take or leave anything I post as they see fit. (I'm sure not the greatest ''explorer'' or ''xenologist''? by any means).... I'll keep pootling along scanning as I go... ;)

Last edited:
Maybe I'm an inveterate optimist, but I agree that this is worthwhile. Everyone knows that there are barnacles in Witchhead, but there's no way to know if the sites have been changed/augmented without some kind of survey.

Please do share what you find, especially in terms of any discrepancies from the Canonn list. One unlisted system with barnacles could be an oversight, but if we find a bunch that would really suggest something has changed.

...150+ Witch Head systems scanned.... still truckin!
I think you are going to find a third system with lots of new thargoid sites or none.

Why?

There are 3 superpowers.

Feds and Imps get one of the planets in XE-Q B5-0. Alliance gets the planet in HW-W C1-8.

Or... there is a third system with lots of new barnacles. The superpower with the highest reached tier gets the system with 2 planets.

Last edited:
I think you are going to find a third system with lots of new thargoid sites or none.

Why?

There are 3 superpowers.

Feds and Imps get one of the planets in XE-Q B5-0. Alliance gets the planet in HW-W C1-8.

Or... there is a third system with lots of new barnacles. The superpower with the highest reached tier gets the system with 2 planets.
Hi Alkibiades...good point... on your theory I'm wondering if I have now found the ''3'' sites... HW-W C1-8 has one planet with 13 Thargoid sites (?Possible new Imperial Station location), XE-Q B5-0 has two planets with 10 and 13 Thargoid sites (?Possible new Alliance and Federation Station locations)....

A bit worrying....I've been scanning (FSS) and jumping...jumping...jumping and suddenly decided to go back and actually check these ''Thargoid'' sites as they show on the FSS and Nav panel..... I landed and guess what...ALL the Thargoid ''Barnacles'' sites are there BUT...but they are ALL barren.... just Barnacle structure and stubs... NOTHING... No Meta Alloys... no materials.... I think FDev have NOT actually flicked the switch to activate these sites..........
perhaps we aren't meant to find them yet (worried and looking over my shoulder.....No!... No!.. don't FDev ! I didn't mea...........................................) TRANSMISSION INTERRUPTED

;)

Last edited:
Hi CMDR's
I've had a few ''negative comments'', telling me I don't know what I'm doing and that I'm wasting my ''and others time'' so I'm stopping survey/posting.
N.B. In my ''survey'' I didn't use any sources external to the game, as I have now been ''advised''.:unsure:
o7

Last edited:
Do whatever you feel like doing and post your findings. You might ALWAYS find something new.
This one.

Sorry if my post dissuaded you at all... it was genuinely 99% angst that the Witch Head Nebula is being painted by FD as the "new" source of MA's... when it's been known about for years. Maybe this is all a by-product of getting just Tier 1 in that CG (which was never going to get higher, but I digress). Personally I think the fact you've checked and recorded over 150 systems in that region is amazing, and was keen to watch if anything else fell out.

So, if you were enjoying yourself, don't let salty old dogs like me dissuade you :)
Maybe you found other sites that originate from the first seeding.

I found a system that has perfect candidates for barnacles but there are none. https://www.edsm.net/en/system/bodies/id/11664124/name/Witch+Head+Sector+AV-Y+c1

I mean look at that

Slaps planet's polecap This planet can fit so many barnacles in it.

Problem is it's not in the nebula, which is a requisite according to the Codex. MB, back when he regularly posted on the forums, also attested to the fact they appear in nebulae being significant.

"Within Nebula" seems to relate to a box that might stretch out to quite some systems outside the actual nebula. At least that is what I observe for Bark Mounds (I hate those things with a passion...).

Yeah...
The thargoids have withdrawn from the bubble. That means that anyone in the witch head sector can expect company.

Also, is it just me that thinks the loss of ripe barnacles was a deliberate attempt by the thargoids to get rid of humanity's only defense against them?

Yeah...
The thargoids have withdrawn from the bubble. That means that anyone in the witch head sector can expect company.

Also, is it just me that thinks the loss of ripe barnacles was a deliberate attempt by the thargoids to get rid of humanity's only defense against them?
But barnacles aren't the only source of that defence? They only:
  • counter UA bombing, which is permanently dealt with
  • provide corrosion resistant alloys

Most weapons systems are sourced from Thargoid studies/components (unrelated to MAs) and guardian tech right?

But barnacles aren't the only source of that defence? They only:
  • counter UA bombing, which is permanently dealt with
  • provide corrosion resistant alloys

Most weapons systems are sourced from Thargoid studies/components (unrelated to MAs) and guardian tech right?
Yeah but apart from guardian tech, which isn't readily accessible, meta alloys are the source of the only real defence against thargoids (for independent pilots I mean).

Yeah but apart from guardian tech, which isn't readily accessible, meta alloys are the source of the only real defence against thargoids (for independent pilots I mean).
Still not following what you're saying.

• AX Fighter
  • AX Multicannons
  • AX Missiles
  • AX Flak Launcher
... are all readily accessible without the need for Meta Alloys, nor was their introduction preceded by the need for Meta Alloys, and they're freely available to all independent pilots. The only thing Meta-Alloys were needed for (both for introduction and unlocking) are:
  • CRCRs; and
  • Meta Alloy Hull Reinforcements
The fight can still happily be brought to the Thargoids without that tech.

I'd disagree Guardian Tech isn't readily accessible, but would concede that's a subjective opinion.

Sorry if my post dissuaded you at all... it was genuinely 99% angst that the Witch Head Nebula is being painted by FD as the "new" source of MA's... when it's been known about for years. Maybe this is all a by-product of getting just Tier 1 in that CG (which was never going to get higher, but I digress). Personally I think the fact you've checked and recorded over 150 systems in that region is amazing, and was keen to watch if anything else fell out.

So, if you were enjoying yourself, don't let salty old dogs like me dissuade you :)
Hi Jmanis, not a bit of it, your post was quite tongue in cheek. I think I even gave it a Rep+1/thumbs up.... I've had a few acid comments in a private group I'm in and on Discord ... nothing said on forum (Directly)... so no worries mate. I hit perhaps 200 Systems scanned, I skirted the entire boundary of the Witch Head Sector and the permit locked Col 70 System; but now I've pootled back to ShinR to do something ''more constructive'' lol.... Thanks for your input (I'll laugh if the three planets I ''found'' actually turn out to be the sites of the new Interstellar Initiative Space Stations!!!!.... probably not.)😜

"Within Nebula" seems to relate to a box that might stretch out to quite some systems outside the actual nebula. At least that is what I observe for Bark Mounds (I hate those things with a passion...).

I concur, seems more about 100 light years around a nebula from other "within Nebula" codex items

Top Bottom