Wolverine Vs. Ratel

Hey everyone! So I along with others in the forum REALLY REALLY want a land mustelid in PZ. The two best candidates in my eyes and the eyes of most of the community are the Wolverine and the Ratel (aka Honey Badger). I really wish we could have both but with the way dlc is going it might be tricky. So I wanted to lay out pros and cons of each and ask which one would you prefer in the game if you could only have one.

Wolverine: would give more representation to the lacking Holarctic realm in PZ. It’s also bigger than the Ratel and would be something different than our NA animals in the game. Plus it gives us more EU and Arctic options!

Ratel: Slightly smaller more aggressive with fun behaviors. Also a much needed rep for the Middle East and west and Southern Asia while also fleshing out or African sections. Gives us some biome diversity as well as you can potentially spread it to deserts if you’re really liberal about semi arid environments.

As I said earlier I would love and prefer to have both but if I had to choose only one at this point I’d go with the wolverine because of PZ’s need for northern representation. Plus it seems more likely as a NA pack is likely on the way. The Ratel missed out on the Africa pack but still has more opportunities IMO. The Ratel is my slightly more favored animal IRL out of the two however. Which one would you go with? And what other mustelids do you want to see?

Polecat

1631646807842.png

I think both the black footed ferret or the european polecat would work, but i would prefer the later for its superior range and more commoness in global captivity, but i would gladly take the blckfooted ferret as well.

To show my point, here are the distributions of the european (red), the steppe (green) and the blackfooted polecat (spots in america) Ofcourse its kinda not fair to compare them like that, but just speaking of their range, both of the other species, which also look very similar to each other and can be easily imagined as the other, are more favourable, with the european polecat being by far the most common in captivity (EAZA), especally when remebering that ferrets are just domestic european polecats and could easily bereferenced to by one or two colorshemes without making them their own animal.

1631647237248.png
1631647255829.png

1631647339115.png

I think both the black footed ferret or the european polecat would work, but i would prefer the later for its superior range and more commoness in global captivity, but i would gladly take the blckfooted ferret as well.

To show my point, here are the distributions of the european (red), the steppe (green) and the blackfooted polecat (spots in america) Ofcourse its kinda not fair to compare them like that, but just speaking of their range, both of the other species, which also look very similar to each other and can be easily imagined as the other, are more favourable, with the european polecat being by far the most common in captivity (EAZA), especally when remebering that ferrets are just domestic european polecats and could easily bereferenced to by one or two colorshemes without making them their own animal.

View attachment 262508View attachment 262509

View attachment 262510
Yea the Eurasian species are definitely more realistic. I guess as an American I have a bias towards the fauna I’m more familiar towards. I also really love the predator prey dynamic between black footed ferrets and prairie dogs but the European polecat and steppe polecat are definitely more realistic and I wouldn’t object to them either

I would go for the wolverine to increase the European/Nordic/boreal representation.

For the same reason I would love to see a pine marten. They are lively and arboreal and would make a great addition with potentially interesting enrichment items.

GettyImages-612035490_Richard-McManus-d4d5a9e-e1570191073976.jpg

To add conversation how likely do you guys think the wolverine is too a potential NA pack? I’m pulling for them and beavers most! If it’s just a 4 pack then I hope it’s moose cougar wolverine and beaver but I don’t think it’s likely. I could see the Ratel being in a grassland, small carnivore or Asian pack of some kind in the future if they get added

I'd be fine with them in an animal pack, but I think space is far too limited in a scenery pack to squeeze them in. I think my ideal 4+1 at this point is cougar, sea lion, alligator, and peccary.

To add conversation how likely do you guys think the wolverine is too a potential NA pack? I’m pulling for them and beavers most! If it’s just a 4 pack then I hope it’s moose cougar wolverine and beaver but I don’t think it’s likely. I could see the Ratel being in a grassland, small carnivore or Asian pack of some kind in the future if they get added
They're in my personal pick for a 4+1 pack, but realistically I think they're the least likely of the four I want (the others Sea Lion, Cougar and Moose seem much more likely). I'd say there's maybe a 3 to 1 chance they make it in.

If it's a 7+1 pack I think the odds are closer to 50/50 if not 2/3 odds.

I agree I think it’s going to be tough if it’s a 4 pack ... hopefully we get these mustelids some other way if we don’t get the wolverine in the NA pack

I agree I think it’s going to be tough if it’s a 4 pack ... hopefully we get these mustelids some other way if we don’t get the wolverine in the NA pack
That and I can't be lucky enough that my four picks would be the four picked. I've managed 3 out of 4 and that's probably as close as I'll ever get.

That and I can't be lucky enough that my four picks would be the four picked. I've managed 3 out of 4 and that's probably as close as I'll ever get.
😂 I get that I’ve gotten pretty lucky. The babirusa, giant otter, anteater, koala, dhole all felt pretty unlikely at some point or another and I got them! Still hoping for my beaver, black rhino, mustelid, and sea turtle one day!

Definitely the wolverine for me! Not only to increase the animals from the Northern hemisphere, but also because I like it's appearance more.

I would prefer the Wolverine. But hopefully it will come in a North America Pack because I fear it would be even more likely to not get one of the European Animals that I want really badly if it would appear in a Europe Pack.
But the Honey Badger would be really awesome too, even by thinking about possible Enrichment Items because it might get some kind of Beehive Enrichment, which could probably also be used by Bears

Top Bottom