Wot I did at Lavecon 2019!

Lavecon 2019

What a weekend that was. First of all, let me thank Allen and Karen for organising it again. Kow, Si-Moof and Dillan for the fantastic sound, video and Hi-jinks around the main stage. My Fellow Lave Radio People; Fozza, Cmdr Thane, Mr Stabler, Eid-Le-wise, Shan, Dr Toxic. The Legend that is Cmdr Wotherspoon, the Hutton truckers (MUG), Cmdr Whingin Pom, Jon and Oliver from Spidermind, Drew Wagar and, of course, every single developer from Frontier who came down to visit. I apologise to everyone there who I missed out on but I did feel pulled from pillar to post all day (in a good way!!)

My duty for the day was really to oversee the games room. So we had spider mind games in the corner, running RPGs and Battlecards, HCS Voice-packs (who I had a very nice conversation about the passing of Paul Darrow), Asmodee who had brought along a selection of their games and there was me in the corner with Elite Miniatures set up and ready to go and several plain models with a set of paints next to them on the bar.

ctgINvT.jpg

The Elite Miniatures ready to Explode

I thought I’d do something different this year. Instead of the good old, let’s get ready to rumble, deathmatch. I thought I would try a scenario and this would be the first test in anger, of the medium size ships. In this case the T-6 and the Asp Explorer. The scenario is quite simple. The ASP must defend the T-6 (piloted by one certain Psykokow) against a Cobra and 2 Sidewinders. In the first match, a Sidewinder and the cobra was overwhelmed by the ASP but they damaged the T-6 that badly it couldn’t really continue and the ASP killed poor Psykokow (thanks Whingin Pom). So one of the Sidewinders was replaced by a viper instead. The next match, I think poor Psykokow had a death wish and the T-6 lasted only 5 turns before being turned to dust. So after taking part in the Lave Radio ‘Care Home’ show, there was the third and final match where The ASP got it’s act together and poor Cmdr Dobo, not only lost his sidewinder, but the Viper he inherited as well. One Victory for the Defender and two victories for the pirates overall.

The good news is that these games proved that the new rules, I’ve created for the Medium size ships work and they don’t overbalance the game in their favour. However, some useful feedback was gained. I need to create a Special Actions card which list all the special actions available to a pilot when their turn comes. I forgot the ‘High-G’ tokens and they’re really important for some of the manoeuvres and people wanted tokens to represent their ship’s hull rating. So thanks to everyone who took part. It was one of the best Elite-Miniatures sessions so far and I hope you enjoyed it.

tNGZNIn.jpg

Packed room for the Frontier Panel

While all that was going on, there was the Frontier Panel as well, Dav’s explanation about the back end BGS was an eye opener, New Tutorial stuff for newbies, The new cash shop and Fleet Carriers at the end of the year. Well, they did warn us that they’re smaller updates than the Beyond year but I’m hoping that there will be a little bit of other stuff for the veteran commander that they haven’t announced yet. Still It’s better than Maintenance mode and that little message from Michael’s Uncle certainly had the onions chopping somewhere….

Finally, I do have to say thanks to everyone who painted a model. Especially Cmdr BeatleJude, Cmdr Diablere00070 Paige and Steve Kirby who helped do some of these fantastic models below. So roll on next year, thanks to everyone who’s made it.

Ui0T68W.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great time!

Just pointing out the obvious here but is there anyone in that room under 40 yrs old?...hell anyone under 50?

I'm in that bracket as well but it does bring it home just who plays ED....I mean I knew it was dads but I was expecting to see a little more of a demographic balance...I think I spot 4 or 5 women?

Well i'm in the majority I guess and this game is definitely aimed at me.

Just pointing out the obvious here but is there anyone in that room under 40 yrs old?...hell anyone under 50?

I'm in that bracket as well but it does bring it home just who plays ED....I mean I knew it was dads but I was expecting to see a little more of a demographic balance...I think I spot 4 or 5 women?

Most definitely - I'm 36 and was sat behind someone who I'd say is late teens/early 20s (I'm pretty much dead centre of the picture).

I'd also say that at ECM there was probably a bigger/wider age range

I had an absolute blast at Lavecon and can't wait for next years

Last edited:

I'm a lot younger.....in my mind ;)

Lavecon was excellent and my thanks go to the Crew for organising the event and putting on the shows/panels...can't wait for next year already...

I've downloaded the Lave Radio podcast for the train home tonight, can't wait to hear all the updates from Lavecon.

You all do a great job with this stuff, and it's really appreciated.

Maybe next year I'll get along, looks like I'd fit right in...

Oh, and the models look ace!

Hey, I'm under 50 for goodness sake. Thanks for that!

I would say that Lavecon is probably a bit more expensive to go to because of the hotel rooms and so probably the Dad's can afford it (or there will be alot of explaining about high credit card bills to the Mrs). There were some younger people there but I will admit that the over 30 age bracket was the vast majority. I'm not sure about the game's demographics are on the Male / Female split, I heard rumours that only 2% of the player base was female, so that would probably be about right.

Asp is not an acronym!

And I don't care. That Model was so cool it needed to be in ALL CAPS.

Hey, I'm under 50 for goodness sake. Thanks for that!

I would say that Lavecon is probably a bit more expensive to go to because of the hotel rooms and so probably the Dad's can afford it (or there will be alot of explaining about high credit card bills to the Mrs). There were some younger people there but I will admit that the over 30 age bracket was the vast majority. I'm not sure about the game's demographics are on the Male / Female split, I heard rumours that only 2% of the player base was female, so that would probably be about right.

Wasn't trying to be mean...especially as I'd fit right into that bracket...and that picture for that matter. It just brought home who the majority of players are. I'm sure like you said it's a bit skewed towards the older player with more disposable income...still quite revealing.

Very cool, but FYI, it's spelled: What. And if you want to be both classy and mocked at the same time, you can pronounce the H as well.

Cheers.

;)

Top Bottom