Would you use an exploit in Elite Dangerous?

What egg???

??? Is that mat trading? or using less mats for engineers?
Not interested in doing it, or knowing how to do it...just interested in what it relates to.

This!
I never even used cheat codes back in the day of 8 bit tape loading games.
I don't understand why people want to cheat or exploit games.
...and like Speedcuffs said, any hacking, modding etc should be a perm or shadow ban, these people are the lowest of the low and I have 0 respect or time for people who do this.
Egg was an exploit where there was an extremely profitable subsurface depot rock which you could reset by parking your SLF 20 klick out, switch to
it and reset the depot by this. Extremely exploitative imho.

The 5 to 1 engi exploit was a thing where you could generate grade5 upgrades for the mats of g1.
It was kept secret by the PvP players (and others propably) and was subsequently fixed and the modules
got taken from FD. All of them? No idea...

Egg was an exploit where there was an extremely profitable subsurface depot rock which you could reset by parking your SLF 20 klick out, switch to
it and reset the depot by this. Extremely exploitative imho.

The 5 to 1 engi exploit was a thing where you could generate grade5 upgrades for the mats of g1.
It was kept secret by the PvP players (and others propably) and was subsequently fixed and the modules
got taken from FD. All of them? No idea...
Oh yes, I should have had that on my list. FD purposefully fixed it, so I think they regarded it as exploit.

I disagree 100%.

I think, quite the contrary, that web third party tools are the root of the problem. These tools are akin to data mining in my opinion as they are TOO performant. They are the reason you don't get word of mouth gold rushes that Braben envisaged in the early Dev diaries....
Very interesting point!
I don't think I agree (players will always collect and disseminate information - even without data mining/scraping, it'll just be far more slow!)
But I find myself wondering....would that actually be a bad thing?
I suppose that's why I visit the forums - thought provoking!
More 'secrets' hidden in the Elite Galaxy could only be a good thing!

As far as exploits go - I don't care if people log continuously for whatever reason. (I figure it's just a time saving measure for most Cmdr's) The question is - can one Cmdr beat another Cmdr over the head with an exploit?
At what point does time saving give a Cmdr an unfair advantage....?
There's some grey area here....I don't have the answers 🤷‍♀️

I don't play Elite like it's multiplayer, so yeah, exploits ho! Mostly credit exploits, I still can't be bothered to build that ridiculous invincible ship getup for PVE activities.

Some of my favorite memories of Elite were finding ways to beat the slow credit grind in the early days when credits were hard to come by. Those were cool. Today, ehhh, not so big a deal. Might be a way to pad my carrier balance, but there's no joy in them like before.

As far as exploits go - I don't care if people log continuously for whatever reason. (I figure it's just a time saving measure for most Cmdr's) The question is - can one Cmdr beat another Cmdr over the head with an exploit?
At what point does time saving give a Cmdr an unfair advantage....?
There's some grey area here....I don't have the answers
I liked this response... Nice thinking material (y)

For me it depends on the game and the exploit itself, but I quite like looking for them just out of curiosity rather than cheating.

I've found & used the occasional exploit in a lot of games, ED included, but ultimately exploits are usually just a fast track through gameplay and end up making it boring in a lot of cases, so I usually leave them alone once I've worked them out.

That being said, I have found a few exploits in games that can make things interesting.
For instance there's an exploit in Fallout 4 that allows you to build structures in your settlements indefinitely, regardless of your "build limit" bar. However it can & will eventually cause serious lag/crash issues on consoles as they only have a fixed amount of memory, which I'm guessing was the purpose of the build limit.

I disagree 100%.

I think, quite the contrary, that web third party tools are the root of the problem. These tools are akin to data mining in my opinion as they are TOO performant. They are the reason you don't get word of mouth gold rushes that Braben envisaged in the early Dev diaries.

It does show some degree of naivety from Fdev, on the early days, that they would spend so much time and energy to develop the BGS the way they did, a fantastic achievement by the way, only to see it spoiled and rendered purposeless because of web third party tools.

They have since acknowledged the issue by embrassing those tools (implemention of the API player journal), which in my mind, is a form of capitulation. It reminds me of a video I saw on Youtube on how the developers of Ultima Online had this groundbreaking ecosystem in place that players instantly ruined by slaughtering all life on the map in order to grind loot.
Without third party web tools probably less than one third of the actual playerbase will be still on ED (comprised the talibans who state the contrary), but to each his own.

that they would spend so much time and energy to develop the BGS the way they did, a fantastic achievement by the way, only to see it spoiled and rendered purposeless because of web third party tools.
We must have two different games then, in mine BGS is an unfinished mess and third party tools have nothing to do with it.

I'm not a big RP person, but if an activity doesn't fit the context of the game I don't do it, regardless if its an exploit or not.

Example:
  • I change my ship's livery at a station that offers it. Not through the main menu.
  • I don't relog, unless a game is locked up and there is no other choice.
  • If I found an outpost giving away unlimited engineering mats, I might take 10 of each G5 (reward for my discovery) and leave.

If a game has too much nonsensical stuff then I just don't play it. I just don't see the point. Example: ingame stores with P2W stuff. IMO blatant exploit removing the "game" aspect of a game.

Edit:
  • I do look stuff up on internet if I'm stuck on something. It does seem like a cheat, it breaks immersion, I don't like it. But I do it.
  • I use 3rd party tools like EDDB and INARA, but I don't think of it as a cheat. In my mind CMDRs would have access to these tools. (It fits into the context of the game).

Last edited:
I have relogged between laps around Dav's Hope and at the space tankers.
I have relogged at Guardian sites and at several crash sites as well.
I have taken advantage of how some NPC ships typically behave to get myself a headstart in a fight.
All of these could be considered as exploits.
I have mined LTDs at the Borann triple hotspot but didn't use any non standard mining techniques.
I haven't done any of the other gold rushes I heard about before they were fixed.

I have used walk throughs when stuck to get through single player games and in the Half Life games (and others) I have played used cheat codes when I wanted to play through the game again, it wasn't as if there was going to be anything new other than me having access to different weapons thanks to the cheats.

After I have finished Elite and done everything I might consider using cheats to go through it again but not until then.

Is logging out and back into a site to farm mats because of broken mechanics a exploit? 🤔
If you feel like you have to defend yourself by calling mechanics "broken," you already answered your own question.

I disagree 100%.

I think, quite the contrary, that web third party tools are the root of the problem. These tools are akin to data mining in my opinion as they are TOO performant. They are the reason you don't get word of mouth gold rushes that Braben envisaged in the early Dev diaries.

It does show some degree of naivety from Fdev, on the early days, that they would spend so much time and energy to develop the BGS the way they did, a fantastic achievement by the way, only to see it spoiled and rendered purposeless because of web third party tools.

They have since acknowledged the issue by embrassing those tools (implemention of the API player journal), which in my mind, is a form of capitulation. It reminds me of a video I saw on Youtube on how the developers of Ultima Online had this groundbreaking ecosystem in place that players instantly ruined by slaughtering all life on the map in order to grind loot.

This. Like the Civ designers said, "Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game." Or, as I like to call it, The "GIVE ME THE CANDY NOW MOMMY" effect.

The reason why I am alright with the third party tools is that they are all community based opt in data sharing. They are automated, but they are still entirely crowdsourced and regardless of the effect it has had on the game, it is a fascinating achievement in itself. I'm just over all of the people who think that FDev should invalidate all of those fine people's hard work by "putting those features into the game," because apparently using a website breaks their "immersion." 🤮🤮🤮

Last edited:
Would you use an exploit?

Honestly, it'd depend.

Firstly, it'd have to be something that wouldn't cause me to break FDev's T&Cs.

Secondly, and more subjectively, it'd have to be something that "fixes" something I consider to be unrealistically shonky.

For example, the game's navigation system is kind of, erm, "basic" so if somebody was using a mod' that allowed them to, say, type in a set of coordinates and it'd display a compass that pointed the way to those coordinates I wouldn't get upset about it.
Equally, it could be argued that using a 3rd-party route-plotter for FCs is an "exploit" but I just see it as providing functionality that 34th century ship nav-systems would probably have.

I guess it could also be argued that in the 34th century it's likely that spaceships will be autonomous so it's also okay to have bot-ships but that's where personal subjectivity creeps in and I just wouldn't endorse the level of advantage that would provide.

they regarded it as exploit.

No, they regarded it as issue.
And nobody was punished for using it

However, that was not the case for Rockforth fertilizer that was regarded as a Unintended Exploit and after it was fixed, people that used it had their money taken back (actually more than they got, because of SLF crew wages 😂 )

Edit: So i guess we have the answer... if it's regarded, by FD, as an Exploit, it is also punishable.

Last edited:
No, they regarded it as issue.
And nobody was punished for using it

However, that was not the case for Rockforth fertilizer that was regarded as a Unintended Exploit and after it was fixed, people that used it had their money taken back (actually more than they got, because of SLF crew wages 😂 )
Oh yes, that's another on the list. How would I describe it? Making a profit by buying and selling in a single station?

Top Bottom