Wow this is saying something from Forbes..

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
"Going into the ‘Jurassic Park’ island, being surrounded by dens jungle, and then boarding a ride. Or wandering down cobblestone streets, finding an old, creepy gate, snaking your way through a graveyard, before riding ‘Haunted Mansion’. These are undeniable experiences. Richer and more satisfying. And this is what Frontier is showing us for Planet Coaster."

​I couldn't say it better.

This was a very good account of what a Theme Park should be. Attracting people to come to your park for an out of the world experience, not just to ride on coasters that may be the tallest or the most number of inversions, but rides that have something extra. Take a mine ride coaster for instance. Yes you need that mine ride to weave in and out of a rocky landscape and to be able to go into something replicating an old mine shaft. To achieve this you need the tools to create scenery like this, rather than just to be able to build something that just weaves its way around a few hills is not going to be very exciting.

Creating themed landscapes and adding a replica mine tunnel, is everything we will be able to make for our Mine Train Coaster to run through. Planet Coaster is giving us the tools to be creative and make our parks attractive for our guests to enjoy. This is what a true Theme Park game needs to be, one that emphasises on the enjoyment of our park guests and giving you the creator, something to attract as many guests as possible, keeping them amazed at what you can provide for them. This will be a game that will not only allow you to create fantastic coasters, but one that you can theme to your hearts content and manage the running of your creation with some of the most delightful characters, that have been created for this game. He was comparing Six Flags to Disney of the real world and the difference of RCTW to Planet Coaster in the game world and I couldn't agree with him more

This will be the game we have all been waiting for, for such a long time.

Last edited:
Disagree with the Tycoon part. The original RCT was intended to be a tycoon game over a coaster builder. It's why there was no sandbox mode.

Disagree with the Tycoon part. The original RCT was intended to be a tycoon game over a coaster builder. It's why there was no sandbox mode.

Arid Heights was pretty much our "sandbox mode" for RCT1. It still had the value challenge, but other than that the player could do what they wanted and create their own dream park in it.

That may be me but ... It looks like he is in contradiction with himself between the first and the second part ...

I like RCT3 more than RCT1/2 (even if the "nostalgia effect" can sometimes disrupting my judgment) because that RCT1 is more for "managers", and RCT3 is more for "designers". And if "Planet Coaster" is on track to replicate Disney Parks like he said, it is precisely because the game seems to offer a lot of creative freedom, just like his little brother, in his time.

This is my 2 cents. I've played every RCT title since inception when originally released. My sole intentions were to make awesome rides and parks and I never really cared about park management. When RCT3 was released I was ecstatic to say the least. I wasted too many hours creating rides and parks and even more time when custom content was cracked open. I think if Frontier or Atari want to succeed they will need to cater to both the creative crowd and the business management crowd. I am very worried about RCTW because of the length of time and number of developers that have worked on it. I too like so many paid to get early access to RCTW and I was disappointed when I played the “Beta” weekend. I only recently found out about PC and I am so happy now! At this point I have given up on RCTW and will most likely only play PC. [big grin]

Hi sixfootgeek. How old are you, going off your avitar if that's you, you beat me at 72 and I thought I was the oldest guy on here.

There have classically been two general types of playors of all RCT games: those that focus on gameplay and management, and those that focus on aesthetics and sandbox mode (putting the people that like to finish scenarios in the best/aesthetically pleasing way in the first category). From experience, I'd say the first category is the largest for RCT1, and the last category is the largest for RCT3. I think this is the biggest point the author of the Forbes article has sort of missed, but it's a great article otherwise.

So far, "personality" really only shines from the videos that we're shown, so I won't conclude too much about it until I see actual unfiltered gameplay. But I have to say, the way the dev diaries are presented show far more passion for PC than the amateuristic shows and marketingspeak of RCTW. And whereas RCTW doesn't seem to cater to people who play theme park sims for the management aspect at all, PC seems to hit a very nice balance of gameplay and creativity, catering to the different fans of this genre, I think.

This is my 2 cents. I've played every RCT title since inception when originally released. My sole intentions were to make awesome rides and parks and I never really cared about park management. When RCT3 was released I was ecstatic to say the least. I wasted too many hours creating rides and parks and even more time when custom content was cracked open. I think if Frontier or Atari want to succeed they will need to cater to both the creative crowd and the business management crowd. I am very worried about RCTW because of the length of time and number of developers that have worked on it. I too like so many paid to get early access to RCTW and I was disappointed when I played the “Beta” weekend. I only recently found out about PC and I am so happy now! At this point I have given up on RCTW and will most likely only play PC. [big grin]

Well glad you have decided to join us sixfoot, I too am disappointed with the other game and I just cancelled my pre-order after I found out about PC, just after the New Year. I would like to see the other game do well, but for some reason, it's not in the same style as PC, which I much prefer. I never joined the forums over there, because there didn't seem any enthusiasm from the developers, like Frontier, who are putting a lot of passion into this game, they are interacting with the community and showing us things on a regular basis, which is something that is lacking with Atari. Planet Coaster has put a spark back in me, because I know it's the game I will want to play, more than the other, even if it does turn out to be a decent game.

RCT3 was a so my favorite, as in that I didnt care for the management aspect of 1&2.
Thankfully I didn't pre-order RCTW, but I still plan to buy it. But PC will be the Best.

1. This is a Forbes contributor, not Forbes itself. Is relatively easy to do this things and various videogames forums have banned Forbes contributor articles because they are nothing that mere opinions and most of the time they are wrong.

2. He is also wrong about the RCT franchise. You really couldnt create a lot of themed lands with the first, because there was no piece by piece building mode. There were some themed pieces and bushes, but it was not enough to create something convincing. The meat and potatoes of RCT1 was the management apsect.
Funny because he is talking about creating better theming in these types of games while he forgets that the BIGGEST addition RCT2 brought to the table was the piece by piece system where you could actually create real park in an isometric view.
And even more ironic, he backhands totally RCT3 when it was the summum up until now of the theme park simulation builder. While the management gameplay, the most casual friendly aspect of the RCT franchise, was not the best. Take out the management part and it was RCT2 in 3D, so now, it wasnt much different at all. And talking bad about the cartoon style, of course. He also adds, and this is why the article is really bad for a Frobes one, becuase that's what is important for Forbes, that the last RCT game that sold "relatively" well was RCT3. Excuse me? "relatively" No. Its the best selling game in the franchise. That si not "relatively".
And then he talks about the beta of RCTW being good (yeah right) but generic (this is probably one of the only correct statements of the whole article).
And how Frontier, the guys who got it wrong, according to him, the first time, and that they are actually trying to modernize RCT3, using a similar, but better done, cartoon style he hated so much becuase it was "casual" are doing now the perfect game for him.

If he liked so much RCT1 I think he is going to dissapointed when this game comes around, maybe he find a better game for him if someone points to him Parkitect. Yeha, he likes how is looking but we have gotten to a point where Frontier can actually recreate pretty well the real world of theme parks, but its going to have the same "casual" problems for him, that RCT3 had.
And Im sure the management gameplay of Planet Coaster its going to be better this time around, if just becuase of the new guest AI, that it was one of the biggest problems (the family AI) that RCT3 had.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom