X-Box wireless controller - how to get it recognised by Elite?

Just that really - got a new laptop and I splurged on a wireless controller for Forza but I cannot get Elite to recognise it (I don't play Elite via Steam). I can assign the buttons and axes in Elite controls page as if it were a joystick (s) but unless I connect the controller to the laptop with a usb cable Elite doesn't see a controller to give me the option in the drop-down box.

There must be a way of doing this surely? Any help gladly received, thanks.

Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10. REWASD is also highly recommended. Live long and Elite!

Thanks but:

1. My controller is recognised by Windows so why not by Elite?

2. If I want to re-map I can do so if I connect via USB.

I really don't understand why an actual Microsoft Wireless X-Box controller is recognised by windows as such but Elite thinks it is joystick(s). Why should this need me to use a "wireless dongle"? I might as well just have bought another wired X-Box controller.

I might just try to return it for a refund and get a wired one.

Known problem (check Google resp. the MS forums) of the XBox controllers in Windows 10. Yes, they are recognized while you use them. But depending on your Bluetooth hardware, the respective drivers and whatever MS borked in the Windows version you're currently using, they seem to be silently dis- and reconnected at the drop of a hat. Any hat.
Some games can work with that, as these will just grab the gamepad whenever it becomes available again. A lot of games won't - especially not ED.
The workarounds are to use either a wired connection or the MS Xbox wireless adapter.

INaeem

Elite Greeter
For me (in-game) the Xbox Controller is working perfectly (wireless). Previously I had so many issues which the dongle alleviated, every Windows update broke my Xbox Controller. In-game the Xbox Controller will be listed with 'Control Pad'. Also the 'BindingLoadingErrors' file in Elite Bindings folder will also indicate any missing peripherals linked to your current control scheme. Take care and Elite!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies - yes I did make sure the controller was recognised (and responding) in windows before launching E D.

Looks like I either give up a USB connection to a cable or a dongle. Such a shame really as the controller works fine in other games like Forza and MSFS but since the laptop is not my main gaming kit (it is mainly for other stuff) I'll just live with it for the few times I want to play games on it.

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated. (y)

if it is a 2nd pad thats been attached you may want to see if its is pad 1 or 2 it needs to be pad 1.
i have this issue with both 360, DS4.. i have not had a issue with my new pad.
to fix remove all gamepad devices from device manager also click on view and tick on show hidden devices and remove them.
then goto bluetooth/wireless settings and if there are any pads showing remove them.
then add device again. once its registered as pad 1 it will be picked up.

that's odd op helped make that guide and is mentioned within it
I aint got no Bluetooth controllers (wired only) so I aint gotta clue...….
but if I had just bought one I would backup the binding folder first and create a new one(nb method) then reboot to see if the device is picked up with just the new pad on its own is connected on one of the default presets then copy the device id over to old binds.
also ensuring steam big picture mode controller settings etc is not running or interfering as that has intrim control software

Last edited:
try understanding. if a pad has been plugged into pc. it registers as pad 1. play elite game pad works.
take that pad out and plug in another pad and try to play elite again, because the pad is registered as pad 2. elite does not see pad 2. it only see pad 1 and its waiting for you to plug it in. so you have to remove the registry. only way i found to do that is to do as i have already suggested!
BDM

Last edited:
Just to finalise this thread, I succumbed and forked-out £20 for a Microsoft "XBox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10" and sure enough Elite does now recognise the controller as a controller. This is a flipping rip-off, the Wireless XBox controller should be recognised properly as a controller without needing a dongle, obviously it is a side-swipe at the PC master race by some disgruntled console designer at Microsoft. ;)

Apologies ... there were posts I had not seen. Fact remains it was nowt to do with binds, other controllers, bluetooth or anything other than the fact that Elite does not recognise what the laptop sees (something like bluetoothhiddevice - not got it on at the moment) as a controller. It does see the axes and buttons of the controller as if they were a joystick. Other games seem to accept the controller no problem but Elite doesn't. By using the microsoft £20 dongle - Elite recognises the controller as a controller and offers it in the drop-down list of preconfigured control schemes.

BTW - forgot to say: Thanks to @INaeem for the heads-up on this.

Just to finalise this thread, I succumbed and forked-out £20 for a Microsoft "XBox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10" and sure enough Elite does now recognise the controller as a controller. This is a flipping rip-off, the Wireless XBox controller should be recognised properly as a controller without needing a dongle, obviously it is a side-swipe at the PC master race by some disgruntled console designer at Microsoft. ;)
The wonder of Bluetooth is that it works at all.

Try explaining to a manager whose technical understanding extends to "if I press this button, the blue light blinks" why, in combination with his in-car phone system
  • one headset runs music in stereo, phone calls in mono and accepts calls when pressing the button (as it should do)
  • one headset only runs phone calls
  • one headset runs phone calls in stereo, but only if he has the right phone connected
  • one headset plays the music from the phone, but the phone only (because it is paired to that phone, not the car system...)
  • one headset (the one with the most expensive audio processing) doesn't run phone calls
  • on one headset, cabin audio isn't muted when accepting a phone call, while it is on the other
... and so on.

Top Bottom