Game Discussions X4 this looks Very good

It's been awhile since I played X4 so I started a new game. Is it just me or has the performance improved? I seem to recall getting much poorer framerates.

Depends also on when you played last time, any new patch may also include some added optimizations (it usually does). On a new game start though there's also a lot less to keep track of (explored sectors, trading data, command scripts, satellites and so on) that probably counts even more.

No news on the horizon sadly.

I haven't been keeping track. I played the game extensively for about a month post release, then shelved it, figuring I'd dust it off after they released the dlc content and had time to patch the heck out of it. Brilliant potential in the game, but fatally flawed in it's execution. I've never seen such bad path finding in all the years I've been gaming. Truly, spectacularly horrible.

I'm an older guy, my first pre-purchase ever was X rebirth, I learned my lesson.
Still waiting on this game, and if it never becomes a good game, so be it.

I'd played X:btf, X2 (which had simple EVA), X3:Reunion. After that I was done with it where it seems with each iteration like the same type of station placing solo economy game under a pretty but illusory space backdrop with compass gates. Three times doing it was enough for me as it distracted well enough as somewhat of an Elite franchise stand-in alternative for a while.

Last edited:
I'd played X:btf, X2 (which had simple EVA), X3:Reunion. After that I was done with it where it seems with each iteration like the same type of station placing solo economy game under a pretty but illusory space backdrop with compass gates. Three times doing it was enough for me as it distracted well enough as somewhat of an Elite franchise stand-in alternative for a while.

But with rather excellent PvE mechanics and features. Once you strip the multiplayer from ED, there's really nothing there you can sink you teeth into. I'll take an X game any day of the week over that weak sauce.

Deleted member 110222

D
I've been thinking about getting this game again. How is it at present?

After playing it long enough and waiting for a few patches, X4 Foundations, like ED before it, will finally be tossed for good into my "it was a nice try, but failed spectacularly" rust bin.

PC has more games than console, but it sounds like many of them are crap. I think I'll keep my exclusives and let you keep yours. Now if only ED was a Playstation exclusive, it might actually be good 🤣

(TBH, ED is pretty good, especially on a top-end PC.)

After playing it long enough and waiting for a few patches, X4 Foundations, like ED before it, will finally be tossed for good into my "it was a nice try, but failed spectacularly" rust bin.
The problem for me with many space games currently is that even though they're fantastic with graphics, flight mechanics and whatnot, they still lack story lines, essentially content.

What I would like to play is a game not with just missions, but with more intricate quests and tied in to your character. Basically, I'd like to pick up a certain character in the world and play that person, with certain stories going with it, but at the same time have the vast universe to explore and open world. If someone would combine Mass Effect (for the story), No Man's Sky (for the space legs and fantastic planets), and Elite Dangerous (the vast and amazing universe and graphics) into one, it would be awesome, for me at least.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.

Like Jason, I played X4 to death when it first came out. I can't lie - I enjoyed it quite a bit. After a few dozen hours, though, I became less and less willing to put up with the game's shortcomings and it was increasingly obvious that the entire thing was rather half-baked. I, too, have shelved it until they inject some more content and personality into it. It's not even the bugs that turn me off, it's the incredibly lazy design in several key areas. The main campaign is so awful I don't even know why they bothered to release it. Coming from X:R I really miss having a story with actual characters. (And Rebirth is a very low bar!) The tutorials are terrible. The universe feels lifeless, despite all of the NPC activity buzzing around you. It's just boring after awhile. For me, once I make my first couple of million and have a basic economic engine going with a few ships I just lose interest. X:R kept things interesting with the main story where new sectors would open up and you'd meet new people, etc. X4 has none of that, to its detriment. I suppose if all you're after is a cold economic sim then you'll be happy, but I want more. X4 doesn't have a lot to offer beyond making money, though. Combat is a snore-fest. Exploration is basically finding a few stray crates and a ship every so often. There is no plot.

The problem for me with many space games currently is that even though they're fantastic with graphics, flight mechanics and whatnot, they still lack story lines, essentially content.

What I would like to play is a game not with just missions, but with more intricate quests and tied in to your character. Basically, I'd like to pick up a certain character in the world and play that person, with certain stories going with it, but at the same time have the vast universe to explore and open world. If someone would combine Mass Effect (for the story), No Man's Sky (for the space legs and fantastic planets), and Elite Dangerous (the vast and amazing universe and graphics) into one, it would be awesome, for me at least.

Well, Star Citizen is trying to be the end-all-be-all I guess. ;)

Rather "Star Kitchen Sink" :D

SC's goals might be too lofty, but seeing ME, NMS, and ED in one package is probably doable.

What's missing today in game, movie, and TV industry is good story writing. There are some great shows and movies, but a lot of it is crap. And in games it seems to be even less attempts of narrative excellence. I guess it's easier to craft something technical than to actually write a story that captures your mind and imagination.

Like Jason, I played X4 to death when it first came out. I can't lie - I enjoyed it quite a bit. After a few dozen hours, though, I became less and less willing to put up with the game's shortcomings and it was increasingly obvious that the entire thing was rather half-baked. I, too, have shelved it until they inject some more content and personality into it. It's not even the bugs that turn me off, it's the incredibly lazy design in several key areas. The main campaign is so awful I don't even know why they bothered to release it. Coming from X:R I really miss having a story with actual characters. (And Rebirth is a very low bar!) The tutorials are terrible. The universe feels lifeless, despite all of the NPC activity buzzing around you. It's just boring after awhile. For me, once I make my first couple of million and have a basic economic engine going with a few ships I just lose interest. X:R kept things interesting with the main story where new sectors would open up and you'd meet new people, etc. X4 has none of that, to its detriment. I suppose if all you're after is a cold economic sim then you'll be happy, but I want more. X4 doesn't have a lot to offer beyond making money, though. Combat is a snore-fest. Exploration is basically finding a few stray crates and a ship every so often. There is no plot.

I probably played it for about a hundred hours after release, but ultimately shelved it with an asterisk. I figure that another 1-2 years of patching and the release of the two planned dlc and I'll give it another go. Egosoft does have a good reputation for patching up their weak releases, so we'll see.

At the moment, my last big hope for a great space game is Interstellar Prime, but it's still far too early in development. https://store.steampowered.com/app/644000/INTERSTELLAR_PRIME/

Of course, there's Star Citizen that would be great if there was any chance it would ever be finished, but even that one, at least at the moment, the flight / drive models and general vehicle physics suck beyond belief.

This is why Wing Commander (the series) stands out in my memory as one of my favorite space games of all time. I was young back then, so maybe the story was rubbish, but back then it seemed brilliant to me, especially since it was the first game I played with integrated cinematic of that caliber. I think I loved Mark Hamill in this game even more than Star Wars! (He also voices an amazing Joker in DCUO.)

Top Bottom