X52 pro not picked up by Elite at all, but fine in Windows?

I know there are various issues around certain buttons on the X52 not being able to be used in Elite unless the setup in Windows is correct. Hell, I wrote one of them on this forum a good few years back. But now I'm having my own issue:

I recently (like in the last few weeks) upgraded my PC with a new motherboard/CPU/RAM. I haven't played Elite since then, so in the same time period the latest update has dropped. Today I tried to play, and none of my controls worked. No problem, thinks I, the update will have wiped them and I always keep a backup. Except the binds file is still in the relevant directory. The BindingLoadingErrors.log file claims that the binds couldn't be loaded because the device SaitekX52Pro is missing. If I try to rebind anything using the joystick the game just doesn't notice that any buttons have been pressed at all. I can load up the Windows Control Panel for the stick and see that it is registering the correct button presses. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, still no dice.

Anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: Worked it out. I had been playing with Steam home-streaming to an Amazon Fire TV Stick sideloaded with the Steam App. To be able to configure stuff there (it doesn't have drivers for XBox One controllers, so they just detect as generic android controllers) I had turned on configuring of generic controllers in the Steam settings. This was 'stealing' the X52 to make it detect as a regular gamepad, but I'd not bound any buttons within the Steam configs, so the game wasn't seeing it. I turned off allowing configuration of generic gamepads in Steam, and it suddenly started working in Elite.

Also I discovered that my Steam Controller (which I use for the SRV) wasn't being picked up correctly/all the time when it was connected via my USB 3.0 hub. Connected it to the same USB 2.0 hub as the joystick (built into the monitor), which goes into one of the only 2 USB 2.0 ports on my new motherboard, and suddenly it was also working fine while still also being configurable via Steam.

Last edited:
Top Bottom