XB1X 1080p vs. PS4 Pro

I know some of you own both platforms, so how does ED compare, graphically-speaking? Specifically, PS4 Pro Quality Mode vs XB1X 1080p Quality Mode.

Also, is the XB1X HOTAS basically the same as PS4's, quality-wise?

And final question, do you folks have any XB1-specific bugs that are super annoying? You know, kinda like my EBL but different.

I ask all this because I might be in the market for an XB1X this Fall if the Black Friday price is right.

I'd personally wait for the next gen consoles next year but that's just me.

The hotas is exactly the same save for a little different paint on it.

I cant speak for the ps4 but I do know of some people who are having a problem with the game freezing on them. Idk if that's all systems of just an xbox problem. Most people are fine from what I can tell.

There's no inverted headlook option with the Xbox hotas. That's my biggest gripe
Does pushing forward (away from you) look down or up? Also, can the hat be remapped to lateral thrusters using the alt flight controls? I'm assuming the hat is a 'digital' (all or nothing) controller.

I agree with waiting for next gen consoles. Not to say the 1X is not gorgeous even at 1080p like, it is.
If I were to grab an XB1X, I'd do only do it if it were a heck of an amazing sale. Normally I wait at least a year before buying a new (as in, just released) console in order to give time for the bugs to get worked out. Y'all remember that ring of death on the older XBox? PS4 has something similar if I recall, but I never had any of these problems because I always waited for the Slim version to come out. I can probably get a few more years out of my PS4 if I have something better to play ED on in the meantime, be it an XB1X or maybe even a PC...

Or Frontier could just fix these shadows on PS4 and save me the trouble!

If I were to grab an XB1X, I'd do only do it if it were a heck of an amazing sale. Normally I wait at least a year before buying a new (as in, just released) console in order to give time for the bugs to get worked out. Y'all remember that ring of death on the older XBox? PS4 has something similar if I recall, but I never had any of these problems because I always waited for the Slim version to come out. I can probably get a few more years out of my PS4 if I have something better to play ED on in the meantime, be it an XB1X or maybe even a PC...

Or Frontier could just fix these shadows on PS4 and save me the trouble!

they'll fix the shadows right after you transfer your account from PS4 to XB1. just to twist the knife.

they'll fix the shadows right after you transfer your account from PS4 to XB1. just to twist the knife.
I won't transfer, I'll start from scratch. Still, that would make me double-plus irate.

Speaking of, nobody has answered my original post - how does XB1X compare to PS4 PRO. If Sony finally lets the Pro go on sale like they do the Slim, that would be the obvious upgrade. I actually bought the Pro last year, but for the price the improvement over the base PS4 just wasn't worth it IMO. I'm under the impression that XB1X is lightyears better than the Pro when it comes to ED (Frontier apparently doesn't understand the PS4 that well), but I know somebody out there has both and can give me a straight answer. Heck, post a couple of comparison screenshots!

Where is Digital Foundry when you need them?

The XB1X version is hands down graphically better than the PS4 Pro version, even when the Pro is set to quality mode. If it weren't for the fact that all my purchases are on the PS4, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to play the XB1X version over the PS4 version. The only thing you miss are the extra four buttons from the DualShock 4 touchpad.

It's not even a question, the graphics are just better on the XB1X.

For me the community is more important than performance. I talk to some PS4 players on various Discords and they're a great bunch, but there's not really that many of them.
I don't think there's much to choose from between the consoles TBH. PS4 does have PSVR (not with Elite though) which could be a swinger for you.
I'm happy with my XB1 X on a 1080p screen in 4K performance quality mode, it's gorgeous with no issues at all.

Last edited:
The XB1X version is hands down graphically better than the PS4 Pro version, even when the Pro is set to quality mode. If it weren't for the fact that all my purchases are on the PS4, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to play the XB1X version over the PS4 version. The only thing you miss are the extra four buttons from the DualShock 4 touchpad.

It's not even a question, the graphics are just better on the XB1X.
Yeah I'd probably get a HOTAS, as my muscle memory is too programmed for the DS4 to switch to a similar yet different controller, at least for a game like this.

For me the community is more important than performance. I talk to some PS4 players on various Discords and they're a great bunch, but there's not really that many of them.
I don't think there's much to choose from between the consoles TBH. PS4 does have PSVR (not with Elite though) which could be a swinger for you.
I'm happy with my XB1 X on a 1080p screen in 4K performance mode, it's gorgeous with no issues at all.

It should be time the console players get crossplay with each other to fill up our space a bit better. No PC.

I used performance mode for some time. Its hard to let go of those silky smoothe frames. I did let go though because I love the extra graphics in quality mode.

I used performance mode for some time. Its hard to let go of those silky smoothe frames. I did let go though because I love the extra graphics in quality mode.
Are you able to switch back and forth with relative easy? I personally would likely use Quality for my "slower" flying around cool assets (trade, site-seeing, etc) and Performance for those big battles in a CZ or rings. I'm betting your performance mode looks way better than my performance mode, however.

Are you able to switch back and forth with relative easy? I personally would likely use Quality for my "slower" flying around cool assets (trade, site-seeing, etc) and Performance for those big battles in a CZ or rings. I'm betting your performance mode looks way better than my performance mode, however.

When I do switch modes I do it from the main menu, ED needs a reboot when you do.
I always play in quality mode though, the extra effects you see are to nice to miss, like heat blur from the engines etc.
When you play in 1080p you can just pick quality mode, it runs smoother than in 4k or supersampled 4k on a 1080p tv.

When you play in 1080p you can just pick quality mode, it runs smoother than in 4k or supersampled 4k on a 1080p tv.
What's the framerate in 1080p quality mode? Also, I'd love to see some screenshots! I'm particularly interested in shots with lighting that really emphasizes shadow quality (sunset at a planetary base, a sunlit station at different distances, etc). Links to existing screenshots would be fine, as long as they are XB1X quality mode.

Last edited:
I
What's the framerate in 1080p quality mode? Also, I'd love to see some screenshots! I'm particularly interested in shots with lighting that really emphasizes shadow quality (sunset at a planetary base, a sunlit station at different distances, etc). Links to existing screenshots would be fine, as long as they are XB1X quality mode.
I don't know about the framerate to be honest.
All of my screenshots in this thread back to November are 4K quality mode downsampled to 1080p:

Top Bottom