Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2 thoughts

I just personally dislike the texture of rubber grips on a pad, always have. It's been one of the things keeping me away from the elite.

Deleted member 110222

D
I just personally dislike the texture of rubber grips on a pad, always have. It's been one of the things keeping me away from the elite.
This is why I maintain that the Razer Sabertooth is the best gamepad ever. No rubber grips to fall off, and has two extra re-mappable buttons over the Xbox Elite. Can also be configured on the fly during gameplay.

Steam Controller comes a close second, but you know, you kinda' need Steam for it.

Rubber grips burst apart on my Elite. Took less than 6 months for it to happen. Now they have decided to increase the rubber coverage, so, more damage will occur to the new version than the last, no thanks.
My first thought was about the rubberised grips. Had mine couple months too before it started to peel off so i wont be buying another and also i found that the centre position on the left stick kinda droops forward after it gets warm (yes im a human radiator) so unless they have sorted that out il be keeping my cash under my pillow for a better investment.

Have you ever looked into installing those in a standard controller yourself? You can buy the same interchangeable sticks and D pad for pretty cheap and you can install it yourself pretty easily. Theres lots of tutorials on YouTube that show how to do it.

I did look at this, but more out of laziness than anything else, dismissed it. Thanks for the reminder, could be an interesting project.

Deleted member 110222

D
How do, sir. Is that not a XB360 device. Fine for a PC but not sure it'd work on a XBOne?
I know. Which sucks.

Honestly you can take my post as a comment on the overall lack of quality on Xbox One controllers.

I got about 3000 hours out of my first one and was very pleased with it.
I acttually prefer it to any hotas, but ultimately would prefer dual joysticks and pedals.
Throw in voice attack and headlook and we would have competative parity cross platform.

I love my elite controller but if we could map macros to those back paddles that would be awesome. The real game changer though would be if they allowed us to bind keys on chatpads. The system recognizes all those keys when you type something in, why not while we are flying?

Like my Elite 1 and hopefully the Elite 2 is even higher quality. I'd still be rolling Elite instead of trying to switch over to hotas if the paddles can be allocated to be their own unique buttons. My goal is to master this game with 0 flight assistance, something I could not do with Elite 1. Still need more dedicated axis controls that do not require me to take my hands off the thumb-sticks.

Edit: reread the OP and almost tempted on sending my Hotas back to amazon now. If the Elite 2 does support the shift to give new button options for greater axis control, that would be amazing.

Last edited:
I have two Elite One controllers. The first one the rubber padding on the back starting peeling off and it was only a year old. I called Microsoft and told them about it, sent them pictures and they shipped a brand new Elite One Controller.

I still use the one with the rubber peeling (just bought a rubber cover for it) as it still works fine. The brand new one they gave me is in a nice case as a backup. I would like to get the Elite Two Controller, however as you can see I have no need at this time.

I might, however, get a HOTAS...but like someone said, playing on the couch or on the bed is grand.

Like my Elite 1 and hopefully the Elite 2 is even higher quality. I'd still be rolling Elite instead of trying to switch over to hotas if the paddles can be allocated to be their own unique buttons. My goal is to master this game with 0 flight assistance, something I could not do with Elite 1. Still need more dedicated axis controls that do not require me to take my hands off the thumb-sticks.

Edit: reread the OP and almost tempted on sending my Hotas back to amazon now. If the Elite 2 does support the shift to give new button options for greater axis control, that would be amazing.

The way I read the original article they indicated the shift key may be just an example they used. So its possible we could have up to 4 new button modifiers to work with.

Here is the original quote from xbox com

"Experience limitless customization with the Xbox Accessories app. Utilize exclusive configuration options such as button mapping to voice commands such as “record that” or “take a screenshot”. Assign a button to act as a ‘Shift key’ to enable alternative inputs for each of the other buttons."

Here is the original quote from xbox com

"Experience limitless customization with the Xbox Accessories app. Utilize exclusive configuration options such as button mapping to voice commands such as “record that” or “take a screenshot”. Assign a button to act as a ‘Shift key’ to enable alternative inputs for each of the other buttons."

Would want "Shift + button " to actually be mappable to single paddle as if its own completely different command. That would be lame if it still required specified "shift" buttton pressed every time but combination there-of not directly mapable. Would be no different that what elite ingame mapping already does for us then.

What I mean is that maybee well get the option to use the shift key as mappable option along with other keys. Perhaps F1, F2, /, etc for example. If would be useful but underwhelming if the only alternative key you could map was the Shift key and nothing else.

Mine only has 2 months, i did read those reviews and i'm a bit worried, but with it i could finally bind everything* i wanted and i still have room for several other binds.
I don't think i can return to the standard controller.

* throttle on upper paddles, lateral thrusters on lower paddles, 75% throttle, 0 throttle, heatsink, scb, chaff, slf orders (attack, follow, dock)

Hey, how did you bind those paddles, I’ve tried it but they didn’t work.

I still use my 2 Elite controllers fairly extensively...one for PC and the other for the Xbox. My original 3 year old one had the rubber grips fall off a while back...but a bit of Araldite sorted that out after removing them totally and refixing them.

I have a very good gaming mouse/KB for the PC but 10 years of controller muscle memory for FPS and action RPG's on the Xbox makes the controller more Mole friendly... never used the flappy paddles though, having small hands made them a nightmare for accidental presses so off they came never to return...they're still in the fancy hard case the controllers came in.

As for flying stuff...can't do it without my X56 HOTAS any longer...tried firing up Xbox Elite the other day for a bit of Outspan orangeness nostalgia... and I was like a monkey on a piano with the controller, no Tobii eyetracker and no Voice Attack :rolleyes:

As for the Mk2 Elite controllers...they can shove it until they cost less than a Logitech X56.

Last edited:
Hey, how did you bind those paddles, I’ve tried it but they didn’t work.

Map the LB/RB to upper paddles - so you have easier throttle access
Map Lateral Thrusters to Push LS/RS then map those to lower paddles
THen you can use the lower paddles as combo with D-Pad
So Lower Left Paddle (also Push LS) + D-pad means 4 combos - in my case Heat sink, SCB, chaff and head look
Then Lower Right Paddle (Also Push RS) + D-Pad means another 4 combos - i used them for SLF commands and still have one free

You can also combine Paddles with themselves, although the first 2 combinations can be bad sometimes, especially when you want to use laterals extensively while adjusting throttle (so i might change them):
Both Left paddles = 0 throttle
Borh Right paddles = 75% throttle
Both Upper paddles = 100%
Both Lower Paddles = -50%

Top Bottom