Xbox one X 4k Quality settings stutter/low fps

This has probably already been discussed but has anyone else experienced this? I don't mind playing on performance settings but it is annoying that quality settings run this bad

That's what i play on and i haven't really noticed anything out of the ordinary. Is it all the time or only under certain circumstances? I play in Open fwiw, so i might just have normalized a certain level of jank in my mind due to networking issues.

This has probably already been discussed but has anyone else experienced this? I don't mind playing on performance settings but it is annoying that quality settings run this bad

There's a few little tweaks that can make a difference. It worked for me with my X. I run 4K Q full time, with little or no issues.

Have a rummage around in the options. Look for: Disable hand animations, switch them off. Then look for headlook smoothing and switch that off too.

HTH

I'm not surprised, both xbox and ps4 use AMD graphics chips. Only nvidia has smashed the 4k and 60 FPS limit.

Consoles cannot really play 4k at a decent FPS, unless AMD full their fingers out the next generation may have the same problem.

I made a bug report of the poor performance on the Xbox One X in 4k.
They gave the usuall tips to clear the cache, something that doesn't help at all.
I don't have much hope that Fdev will or can improve the performance though.
Strange thing is, ED is the only game that runs this bad in 4k, all my other 4k games run very smooth and they're quite graphics heavy.

I'm not surprised, both xbox and ps4 use AMD graphics chips. Only nvidia has smashed the 4k and 60 FPS limit.

Consoles cannot really play 4k at a decent FPS, unless AMD full their fingers out the next generation may have the same problem.

Not helpful or relevant. Flex elsewhere buddy

I'll try a few things people have suggested. It is only Elite that is having this issue and it doesn't matter where I am, station, planet, open, private or solo. Its like 10-15 fps. Internet is fine, plus once I changed to performance settings with 4k it was smooth again.
Cheers peeps o7

Last edited:
It is only Elite that is having this issue and it doesn't matter where I am, station, planet, open, private or solo. Its like 10-15 fps. Internet is fine, plus once I changed to performance settings with 4k it was smooth again.
Cheers peeps o7

I play on 4k quality setting and usually dont have the poor 10-15fps performance like you described, aside from driving around in Davs Hope, which is a kind a bit laggy.
The only thing I turned off was the iddle hand animation.

Last edited:
I made a bug report of the poor performance on the Xbox One X in 4k.
They gave the usuall tips to clear the cache, something that doesn't help at all.
I don't have much hope that Fdev will or can improve the performance though.
Strange thing is, ED is the only game that runs this bad in 4k, all my other 4k games run very smooth and they're quite graphics heavy.

It's not that strange. Frontier decided in the past to make their own ingame engine, that's one of the reasons why we sometimes have problems in the game. Frontier is a small company with low money to spare. ED was and still is to big a project for Frontier. Patience is the keyword with ED and hope they not gonna loose all their players...

o7

It's not that strange. Frontier decided in the past to make their own ingame engine, that's one of the reasons why we sometimes have problems in the game. Frontier is a small company with low money to spare. ED was and still is to big a project for Frontier. Patience is the keyword with ED and hope they not gonna loose all their players...

o7

I don't know if I can agree with your statements, one thing I know for sure though, they're not gonna loose me as a player over this.
In fact 3.3 renewed my enthusiasm considerably.

It runs terribly in 4k quality. 4k performance is better, but still not what I would says is "optimized" for the X. I run at 1080p performance now to get the highest frame rates but it's a shame when there are so many other games that can do 4k, look great, and have 30+ constant fps without stutter.

It runs terribly in 4k quality. 4k performance is better, but still not what I would says is "optimized" for the X. I run at 1080p performance now to get the highest frame rates but it's a shame when there are so many other games that can do 4k, look great, and have 30+ constant fps without stutter.

It runs fine for me and has since the patch for the X, with a far better frame-rate compared to my original Xbox One, while pumping out x4 the pixels and extra effects on top.

I know that on the original XB1 games and related textures loaded faster off external drives, but I don't think that's the case for the X.

It runs fine for me and has since the patch for the X, with a far better frame-rate compared to my original Xbox One, while pumping out x4 the pixels and extra effects on top.

I know that on the original XB1 games and related textures loaded faster off external drives, but I don't think that's the case for the X.

Well I must admit that since I've got a 4k tv the performance is better than running 4k quality on my old 1080p tv.
Probably because the One X doesn't have to supersample everything before putting it out.
Still there is some very noticeable stutter but not consistently, not enough to keep me from enjoying true 4k Quality though, it just looks to good.
I've got my 4k tv for about a month and a half now and already on my second one, I first had a Samsung Qled but it suffered from severe backlight bleeding, now I have a little bit more expensive Panasonic Oled and it's fantastic.!!
I'll never go back to 1080p that's for sure.

I was thinking, perhaps loading your entire ED game to an external SSD might help, somehting like Samsung T5 comes to mind. I know people reporting increased performance with such setup. I am going to get an X after we moved and whack a T5 on it right from the start.

I was thinking, perhaps loading your entire ED game to an external SSD might help, somehting like Samsung T5 comes to mind. I know people reporting increased performance with such setup. I am going to get an X after we moved and whack a T5 on it right from the start.

Imho I don't think it's a loading issue, with a slow external hdd you might get some initial loading stutters when entering a system but in this case I think it's a fps issue due to strain on the graphics card or inefficient texture usage.
ED is the only game having this issue so far other 4k games run perfectly smooth.

Well I must admit that since I've got a 4k tv the performance is better than running 4k quality on my old 1080p tv.
Probably because the One X doesn't have to supersample everything before putting it out.
Still there is some very noticeable stutter but not consistently, not enough to keep me from enjoying true 4k Quality though, it just looks to good.
I've got my 4k tv for about a month and a half now and already on my second one, I first had a Samsung Qled but it suffered from severe backlight bleeding, now I have a little bit more expensive Panasonic Oled and it's fantastic.!!
I'll never go back to 1080p that's for sure.

Same here.

Odd how some people have this issue with 4K/Quality and some don't. I'd be tempted to try a re-install but I doubt if that would fix it. I remember a previous update which had frame-rate issues, in the end that was network-related at Frontier's end. Maybe try a hard-wired connection to your X, if you're not using one already.

Same here.

Odd how some people have this issue with 4K/Quality and some don't. I'd be tempted to try a re-install but I doubt if that would fix it. I remember a previous update which had frame-rate issues, in the end that was network-related at Frontier's end. Maybe try a hard-wired connection to your X, if you're not using one already.

It has been better since I originally posted. I always play with a hard wired connection. Every other game runs amazing just elite has its days. Yesterday no stutter, it ran really well. Today, stutter is back. I'm at a loss as to what it could possibly be. As some have said, some people get it, some don't.

Top Bottom