XBOX PLAYERS PLEASE READ! You may not realize you don't have the full game installed.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
PLEASE READ!!! your game my not actually be fully downloaded. I have spoken to many xbox one Elite Dangerous players and have found that when the game is purchased it often only downloads the physics engine and not the full game BUT it is still playable. which prevents them from knowing that only a portion of the game is actually downloaded. For example if you look up Elite Dangerous in the Xbox store and find the standard edition it will say it includes 3 things, the physics engine, Elite Dangerous, and the arena. However I have had many friends who were having issues and i had them go into their "games and apps" on the xbox and then go into "manage game" for Elite dangerous. What they found was that the physics engine was installed but that Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous Arena were not installed, but sitting in the "ready to install" position. I myself found that i also only had the physics engine installed and immediately installed the remaining 2 files. This was after a good month or so of playing the game. I instantly noticed the game improved in many ways. Im very conserned that this is a much more wide spread issue then xbox players realize due to the fact that the game will still function with only the physics engine installed. Im no coder but it would seem to be wise to make it so the game can't function in any degree until all three parts are properly installed. I'm concerned that this may be a root cause to other issues. I really want to get this resolved because i love the game and want to see it flourish on the xbox. Thanks.

UPDATE
Thanks for the clarification Gary. I'm relieved to hear everything is in good order. Sorry everyone if i started any confusion. I Love the game and want to help where I can. I may have been a little overzealous but that's only because I care.
As for those asking how I felt it improved the game id be happy to explain. And based off of the Light Gary has shed maybe these were just coincidence. I was able to find Arena matches. My Galaxy map felt like it loaded quicker and super cruise transition felt smoother. A friend of mine before he installed the remaining 2 items was getting messages in game that said Something along the lines of "there are too many people playing online with unofficial versions of the game and you might get kicked". And he did get kicked a lot. When he installed the remaining 2 items it stopped happening. Maybe people hadn't downloaded the latest patch or something.

Anyways I appreciate the quick reply and explanations.

Last edited:
PLEASE READ!!! your game my not actually be fully downloaded. I have spoken to many xbox one Elite Dangerous players and have found that when the game is purchased it often only downloads the physics engine and not the full game BUT it is still playable. which prevents them from knowing that only a portion of the game is actually downloaded. For example if you look up Elite Dangerous in the Xbox store and find the standard edition it will say it includes 3 things, the physics engine, Elite Dangerous, and the arena. However I have had many friends who were having issues and i had them go into their "games and apps" on the xbox and then go into "manage game" for Elite dangerous. What they found was that the physics engine was installed but that Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous Arena were not installed, but sitting in the "ready to install" position. I myself found that i also only had the physics engine installed and immediately installed the remaining 2 files. This was after a good month or so of playing the game. I instantly noticed the game improved in many ways. Im very conserned that this is a much more wide spread issue then xbox players realize due to the fact that the game will still function with only the physics engine installed. Im no coder but it would seem to be wise to make it so the game can't function in any degree until all three parts are properly installed. I'm concerned that this may be a root cause to other issues. I really want to get this resolved because i love the game and want to see it flourish on the xbox. Thanks.

Thank you for your concern, but if you install the Physics Engine, you actually DO install the whole game.

I agree that its a bit confusing though.

I hope Gary can explain a bit with this picture.. Because i dont fully understand it as well..

Ow1Wa5j.jpg

I can confirm there are two ''DLCs'' under Elite Dangerous physics engine in the ''My Apps & Games'' menu.

Might be worth downloading as it's only 20mb.

Thanks for the heads up. Everything is downloaded for me no problems, but I still think if anyone is unsure about themselves they should do a quick check.

Gary Richards

Executive Producer
Frontier
We are looking to update the Store details when we release Horizons to help clarify this, its slightly complicated because there are Bundles we sell which contain Licenses to unlock parts of the game.

Anything with 'Edition' is a Bundle. The ED Arena Edition allows people to purchase just Arena, ED Standard Edition allows people to purchase the current 1.x game. We'll be releasing some Horizons Bundles to allow people to purchase Horizons.

Everyone gets the Elite Dangerous Physics Engine (which on Horizons launch will be changing name to Elite Dangerous Core) and controls the flight simulation and physics behind all Elite Dangerous titles.
Elite Dangerous: Arena gives people access to the Arena content - this will appear in your My Apps & Games.
Elite Dangerous gives people access to the current 1.x content - this will appear in your My Apps & Games.
Elite Dangerous: Horizons (when it launches) will give people access to the 2.x content - this will appear in your My Apps & Games.

So long as you have the Elite Dangerous Physics Engine installed and the others 'ready to install' you should get access to which ever flavour of the game you purchased.

We'll put an FAQ up on our Support pages when Horizons launches.

We are looking to update the Store details when we release Horizons to help clarify this, its slightly complicated because there are Bundles we sell which contain Licenses to unlock parts of the game.

Anything with 'Edition' is a Bundle. The ED Arena Edition allows people to purchase just Arena, ED Standard Edition allows people to purchase the current 1.x game. We'll be releasing some Horizons Bundles to allow people to purchase Horizons.

Everyone gets the Elite Dangerous Physics Engine (which on Horizons launch will be changing name to Elite Dangerous Core) and controls the flight simulation and physics behind all Elite Dangerous titles.
Elite Dangerous: Arena gives people access to the Arena content - this will appear in your My Apps & Games.
Elite Dangerous gives people access to the current 1.x content - this will appear in your My Apps & Games.
Elite Dangerous: Horizons (when it launches) will give people access to the 2.x content - this will appear in your My Apps & Games.

So long as you have the Elite Dangerous Physics Engine installed and the others 'ready to install' you should get access to which ever flavour of the game you purchased.

We'll put an FAQ up on our Support pages when Horizons launches.

Thank you Gary.

In what ways did you notice the game improve, OP? What changed after you installed the other two bits sitting in your ready to install section?

Hmmm.

Look up other uses of 'Core' in software product naming. In my experience, it refers to the minimal *usable* feature set, not a runtime which is not usable without additional content. You might be creating more confusion there.

I believe the main issue is that when you buy the bundle, it isn't installing all 3 items automatically. As mentioned, it is an easy thing to manually install the content when you own it. Some people just wont even realise that it isn't installed when they are entitled to it.

As for what OP said about game improvements etc. I can not confirm or deny because I manually installed mine before I had played the game.

Last edited:
Hello chaps,

Going to be a bore and ask for some clarity here, what. I am afraid that I imbibed rather too much port lastnight and can't quite wrap the old grey matter so to speak around this, what what!

What is the difference between 'Elite Physics Engine' and 'Elite Dangerous'?

Terribly sorry if I am missing something as obvious as the nose on a belgium pin up, what?

Hello chaps,

Going to be a bore and ask for some clarity here, what. I am afraid that I imbibed rather too much port lastnight and can't quite wrap the old grey matter so to speak around this, what what!

Terribly sorry if I am missing something as obvious as the nose on a belgium pin up, what?

I just can't with you sometimes!!! Where do you get it all??!!

I'm as English as Fish and Chips and bad weather. But I could not for the life of me come up with half the lines you come out with!!!!

Gary Richards

Executive Producer
Frontier
Hello chaps,

Wot ho, I guess the bally comms got intercepted - pigeons struggle to hit their targets in zero-G.

Not to worry, here's an update which should see you back on course - The 'Elite Dangerous: Arena' and 'Elite Dangerous' add-ons are used to unlocked the game content within the 'Elite Dangerous Physics Engine'.

Wot ho, I guess the bally comms got intercepted - pigeons struggle to hit their targets in zero-G.

Not to worry, here's an update which should see you back on course - The 'Elite Dangerous: Arena' and 'Elite Dangerous' add-ons are used to unlocked the game content within the 'Elite Dangerous Physics Engine'.

Bally decent of you old bean, what.

Tatty bye

I'm as English as Fish and Chips and bad weather. But I could not for the life of me come up with half the lines you come out with!!!!

+1 with that.
There is a "bally" good reason English people do not talk like that any more.

Hello chaps,

A pox on my forefathers for ever leaving England for a land of maple syrup. Seriously, granddad, I could have been this classy, ya hoser.

VampyreGTX

Volunteer Moderator

And I'm 'American' and actually understood him... :p

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom