Newcomer / Intro Ye Newe Myssilles, and of his usage.

Back in the olden days, ye olde missile was a highly potent weapon, which would either destroy a ship on contact or at least severely damage it to the point that any further damage was likely to finish it off.

Being a bit new to combat still, I was therefore “somewhat perturbed” when “Incoming Missile” flashed up on the screen last night. However, it must have been dealt with by my point defence, which was nice :)

But I have rarely seen missiles in action, and they seem very easily dealt with, so are they as lethal as they used to be? Are they worth carrying, or are they relegated to nuisance factor rather than “certain death to my enemies”? :)

It is certainly not like the original's "Press M for missile". ;)

I don't use them any more but I did carry them in the class 1 slots of AspXs and 'condas before I finally admitted to myself that I was rubbish at combat.

Missiles have a high piercing rating and high single shot damage.
They are natively quite effective against the hull as they deal explosive damage.
Hull's modified to absorb kinetic or thermal will have a reduced explosive resistance.
Standard hull armor is naturally less capable of absorbing explosive damage, Reactive surface composites being the best armor designed to reduce explosive damage.

The main draw back of a missile is that it is not a one shot kill as you may think, when we compare it to the idea of modern day missiles. Though it may have high native damage the rate of fire reduces it effectiveness compared to other weapon types who apply less damage quicker.

On the other hand a rapid fire missile modifications from an engineer nearly doubles a missiles effectiveness in a dog fight, laying down a volley of explosive damage onto a target.

It is more a matter of expectations when using missiles. Don't expect them to be the final blow to end a battle quickly. They are balanced with other weapons and have a place in a dog fight situation. Missile lock is not disrupted by chaff and the seeker versions will track after firing. Missiles do not have a damage fall off point like most other weapons, Their damage remains constant regardless how far they fly until they expire. Think of missiles as a cannon that fires really big bullets but are slow to reload.

I have flown many combat ships vs PVE with Missiles as a secondary to kinetic weapons. They act as a supplement in combat to continue stripping off the opponents hull. The pack-hound power play versions are simply fun to watch as you unleash entire clips of missiles at a target.

Once you have their shields down, missiles can be effective. The more the merrier to get through the point defence.

A T-10 missile boat can be very fun.

The biggest drawback is the limited ammo. You'll need to rearm after a short time.

Once you have their shields down, missiles can be effective. The more the merrier to get through the point defence.

A T-10 missile boat can be very fun.

The biggest drawback is the limited ammo. You'll need to rearm after a short time.
The most fun is probably the Gunship with full pack hound load.
But firing a couple of salvos makes my Vega 56 scream in pain. :LOL:

Oh for ye olde energy bombe!

If I'm flying a trader, I'll typically have 2 sets of seeker missiles (engineered), plus lasers/machine canons.
That manages to see off most interceptions - missiles take down the shields, canons for the rest...

I do tend to fit a couple of point defence hardpoints as well!

Top Bottom