Yet another Pimax 5K+ topic :)

Both, outside edges very distorted, but lines that are supposed to be straight, for example, Chaperone bounds, are not, but move all over the place if my head moves. Makes you feel sick very quickly.. Starts from around about halfway to the very edge of each eye's vision arc..

Last edited:
Both, outside edges very distorted, but lines that are supposed to be straight, for example, Chaperone bounds, are not, but move all over the place if my head moves. Makes you feel sick very quickly.. Starts from around about halfway to the very edge of each eye's vision arc..

I have to tighten the DAS up a lot to ensure i get the correct proximity for the distortion profile to be effective.

If you havent tried already tighten the DAS up aggressively and see if it eliminates the straight line warping on axis.

Last edited:

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
The DAS, and a new set of foam pads arrived today.

And the 3d printer has just finished the adapters - looking forward to the results!

Please let me know what you think as I was not impressed etc... I wound the adapter in all the way, added further cushioning to the face plate as well as the DAS, tried both short and long side clips and still could not get a comfortable fit. The pro, I simply throw on and wind in and is good..

Last edited:
Please let me know what you think as I was not impressed etc... I wound the adapter in all the way, added further cushioning to the face plate as well as the DAS, tried both short and long side clips and still could not get a comfortable fit. The pro, I simply throw on and wind in and is good..

Yeah, people moan about HTC charging the earth for the Pro but when you get an HMD specific distortion profile - unit calibration not some generic implementation - you start to appreciate it..

Even with the aspherics in the stock fresnel distortion profile works incredibly well, its not perfect but that is to be expected when you look at the precision of the polynomial distortion coefficients in the firmware profile.

Last edited:
But as soon as you replace the fresnels with the Gear Vr lens, you really get to see what VR can be :). My Pro has deep blacks, zero light leakage and extremely clear visuals. I am using it pretty much as a monitor replacement ( Virtual Desktop ). Don't get me wrong, the Pro still has some issues, like the on-board cameras, whilst a great idea is an incredibly poor implementation due solely to the incredible LOW res of the cameras.... Love how it works with Chaperone, just not clear enough...

I am pleased with my 5K+, but I think I won the panel lottery as my blacks are as good as my Rift. I also cannot see any edge distortion. I thought my glasses might be blocking it but even with contact lenses I see none.

The fov and clarity is not that big a leap at first. It is in the going back that you get the impact. The first day not too much but a week later and my Rift is closing in on me bigtime. I still play In Death and Dirt Rally on the Rift and once in the action I can live with it for now (can't stand In Death with Vive wands).

I actually had to re-engineer the button logic for the steamvr-undistort application when i was recalibrating the firmware distortion profile because the Vive wands were so terrible and it was driving me nuts.

The info panel kept toggling because the center button event kept firing when i was actually pressing the directionals so i just brute forced it on lol..

Last edited:
I actually had to re-engineer the button logic for the steamvr-undistort application when i was recalibrating the firmware distortion profile because the Vive wands were so terrible and it was driving me nuts.

The info panel kept toggling because the center button event kept firing when i was actually pressing the directionals so i just brute forced it on lol..

I simply don;t use them for Elite, not in anyway.. Use the joystick and throttle and keyboard. If I need to do any typing this is the only time the wands come out to use the onscreen keyboard, and even then it is as minimal as can be LOL

I know what you mean about the blacks. Have you played with the gamma. Sliding to the right doesn't improve blacks but does increase the differentiation between colours.
I still think the text clarit and fov even on small still makes up for it. Comfort is an issue though. The rift is soooo comfy

I know what you mean about the blacks. Have you played with the gamma. Sliding to the right doesn't improve blacks but does increase the differentiation between colours.
I still think the text clarit and fov even on small still makes up for it. Comfort is an issue though. The rift is soooo comfy

yup tried just about everything... I have gone back to the Vive pro ( lens mod ), much better in everything except fov... I actually found the txt just as clear in the Pro, mainly due to the no god rays etc..

I have been banned from the Pimax forum because I don't think the device is any good... and PimaxUSA does not like that fact at all....

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
I got the DAS fitted last night with the 3d printed connectors (which worked/fitted perfectly).

Huge improvement on comfort!!! I'll need to try the DAS with the Vive itself at some point, but it's already much better for the Pimax. I also bought 2 foam liners to add to the existing one, and if I can get them secured in place (need to buy some velcro tape), that should be perfect. The additional space takes the Pimax off my nose solving the hard lenses issue (although I'm still going to fit some padding around there as I don't trust it).

It leaves a little light gap, but I find that useful for finding the odd key on the keyboard now and then, and it's not a problem visually.

With the new foam also, it pushes my eyepoint back a little and removes the distortion effect around the sides of the view - It's pretty much not detectable now.

So all in all, a win!

The only thing I need to do now is re-print the adapters in black PLA rather than white!

I got the DAS fitted last night with the 3d printed connectors (which worked/fitted perfectly).

Huge improvement on comfort!!! I'll need to try the DAS with the Vive itself at some point, but it's already much better for the Pimax. I also bought 2 foam liners to add to the existing one, and if I can get them secured in place (need to buy some velcro tape), that should be perfect. The additional space takes the Pimax off my nose solving the hard lenses issue (although I'm still going to fit some padding around there as I don't trust it).

It leaves a little light gap, but I find that useful for finding the odd key on the keyboard now and then, and it's not a problem visually.

With the new foam also, it pushes my eyepoint back a little and removes the distortion effect around the sides of the view - It's pretty much not detectable now.

So all in all, a win!

The only thing I need to do now is re-print the adapters in black PLA rather than white!

I wish I had a 3d printer lol ...I had to order mine online... Got 4 instead of 2 and the first one attached broke lol

If you are having comfort issues i would highly recommend trying counterweighting any HMD by just attaching somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 of a lb or 125 to 250 grams to the back of the strap before shelling out for expensive upgrades/mods such as the DAS or ordering 3d prints.

Ive gone DK2 to Vive on release day to kickstarter Pimax5k+ two weeks ago, when when i got my vive i had serious comfort issues as compared to the very light DK2 but after figuring out that i could put my long hair into a bun and that through the hole in the headstrap i found i could go all day without any discomfort.

Before i figured this out i spend cash/time on buying a recommended welding mask harness and 3dprinting adapters to fit it to my vive but it wasnt much better and a pain to put on properly.

The Pimax headstrap is pretty much the same as the OG Vive headstrap so i can just do the same.

The extra weight(or in my case, my hair) prevents the back of the strap from sliding upwards from the pull across the top of the head by the hanging HMD, making much more of the weight be supported on the top of your head by that strap.

As for 5k+ love, ive got it, enough of it that i moved furniture around to make my elite setup permanent, before this i had my flight chair (an old car seat with rumblers mounted) and 2x modded ikea svartåsen hotas stands in my roomscale playspace, costing almost a third of it if i didnt want to the stuff out for playing roomscale games.

Last edited:
Chaperone bounds, are not, but move all over the place if my head moves. Makes you feel sick very quickly.. Starts from around about halfway to the very edge of each eye's vision arc..

the wobbling you describe is sign of pimax not processing tracking correctly, turn it off and on again using the button and hope it goes away. it's a software issue and a nuisance, probably will get fixed at some point. Nothing should wiggle when you move head around. It sometimes happens when you put your pimax away then pick it up. Teething problems.

Top Bottom