Yet another Raxxla thread

I really think we need another clue in the codex before finding Raxxla is possible.

I am also sure the the person flying through the system and not scanning it is a myth (though I would love to be proven wrong)

My understanding of the toast in the codex led me to believe that it was out near the heart and soul nebula, but I couldnt find it

In the lore of Raxxla, it is reported to be the eighth moon of a gas giant.

What you are talking about is not Raxxla, but the Dark Wheel station

"Self-professed "people's journalist" and Dark Wheel expert Lyta Crane has created an extensive archive of information related to the Dark Wheel, and claims that the group was founded in and operated out of a disused starport orbiting the eighth moon of an unnamed gas giant. "

https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/The_Dark_Wheel

1. i think the dark wheel is exactly what has been stated it is ....a secret group of elite pilots who look for and covet treasure throughout the galaxy
2. i think the dark wheel is looking for raxxla, but is no closer to finding it than you are.
3. So i think looking for or caring about the dark wheel and the search for raxxla are two completely disconnected things ...except that fdev could write the dark wheel into the narrative to pursue and potentially intercept players who are getting close to raxxla to drive a larger story.
3. Raxxla must be near the bubble, as long voyages across the galaxy weren't possible with single pilot sized ships at the time.

5a. I think raxxla was a planet, emphasis on the was. I think after it was discovered, a self destruct sequence was either accidentally triggered or was automatically initiated. While not witness by the discoverer, the planet was destroyed. Upon retracing their steps, they couldn't find raxxla again because it was utterly gone, turned into an asteroid belt over time around it's host star.
5b. I think raxxla is a special kind of huge space station that is large enough to be mistaken as a small moon. This station jumps periodically from system to system due to existing in a kind of semi-hyperspace state. This is why after being discovered it couldn't be found again, as it had already jumped. Raxxla is labeled a rogue planet due to it's not really orbiting it's host star. It is always within an asteroid belt though (due to the limitations of the stellar forge). Discovering it requires dropping into the right belt (within visual distance). There is a pattern to the jumps, allowing players to estimate where it is and find it. Though it's more likely that pattern will never be discovered and it will be only found by chance.

In either case, i think the only hope of finding raxxla is going to by by chance. Other than restricting the search zone to the stars around the bubble ..that is.

Drew has specifically said that HE didn't know where Raxxla was, and that this was "content" reserved for Frontier's use only.

Doesn't seem to stop people scouring Drew's books for clues though.

"The Dark Wheel" was written by Robert Holdstock though, and packaged with the original 1984 Elite. I don't think it was ever in the game back then, and if Frontier has since added it to ED (and the Codex and the existence of the Dark Wheel faction imply that they have), it's unlikely that they would have told Holdstock.

I've hunted Raxxla off and on since 2015, posted a bunch in the main thread, but i'll add:

• timeline for Braben confirming it is in the game was before Horizons
  • ergo at that time not on a planet/moon

So unless been it's moved/changed, my theory is it's a POI like Voyager. Somewhere may be a clue where you head X direction for Y distance, and a POI pops up. Or a series of clues, aka personal journey, to get the directions.

I've done a bunch of targeted travels in Shinrarta Dezhra, like flying from main star towards Sol for 1mil Ls (or Lave towards Sirius etc), but nothing.

Could be like a comet too, but we know how hard they are to drop into, even when known. So it may just be sitting there in the dark, and very very hard to stumble across.

Yeah, I know it's all been done before. :)

So, last night, in between jabbering on the forums, I was thinking about Raxxla, and inevitably about the Dark Wheel.

What specifically got me going was the alleged toast of the Dark Wheel:

"To the jewel that burns on the brow of the mother of galaxies! To the whisperer in witch-space, the siren of the deepest void! The parent's grief, the lover's woe, and the yearning of our vagabond hearts."

To me, the "parent's grief" and "lover's woe" bits seem... Out of place. Yes, it could just be referring to, say, parents and lovers of those who have gone missing looking for Raxxla, but it could also be something else.

It could be hints to the location of Raxxla.

The "parent's grief" and "lover's woe" both could be references to the story of Andromeda, and meant to remind the toasters of that story, the stars of that constellation, or that galaxy.

In that vein, the "mother of galaxies" could also be Andromeda, given it's relative size to ours, which could mean that the "jewel that burns on [its] brow" could refer to M32, or to an especially bright star or nebula that appears "on" Andromeda, when viewed from a specific angle.

I'm king of on an Andromeda kick, and that will make Andromeda "appear" more frequently to me, but it does seem to be cropping up a lot.

Like how the codex entry for Raxxla references similarities to a children's story, that conspiracy theorists insist are intentional clues. What else in-game does that remind you of? Andromedaries, the childrens show that some insisted had deeper hidden meaning?

And why is the Andromeda system - which I know people have gone to and it apparently contains nothing unique, so distinctly misnamed?

I know misnamed systems are not uncommon in Elite, but this one seems... Prominent.

Anyway, I fired my SFL pilot, he was new, and wasn't yet Elite, and am taking my triple-Elite self on a journey to as many of the stars that make up the Andromeda constellation that I can.

Looking for... I don't really know. Likely nothing. Maybe everything. But it'll be fun doing it. :)

Do you have any in-game theories of Raxxla, or adventures hunting it or the Dark Wheel?

Let's hear 'em!

(Naysayers who just want to talk about to what degree it's in the game or not can make your own thread)
Cool. If you're going with the usual layout of the Andromeda constellation, "the jewel that burns on the brow " would be Alpheratz.

• timeline for Braben confirming it is in the game was before Horizons
  • ergo at that time not on a planet/moon

Heh FWIW I would conclude the opposite from the same data :) In Braben's shoes pre-Horizons I might name a planet Raxxla (planets have been named since before day one) because not only does it then exist to be found with no special dev work needed to create it, but you're free to take your time building deeper content for it because even if it is found it can't be investigated until you're ready for it to be investigated. With the release of Horizons, I might ensure the planet had atmosphere so it still couldn't be investigated so I could kick the can further down the road. If I was a meanie I might permit-lock it. ("meanie" is a euphemism, but game designers sometimes have to be meanies)

Pre-Horizons Raxxla seems like the sort of thing that you can't afford to spend production time on until a lot more of the fundamentals are taken care of. In the early days of building a game, a thing that can be discovered but not further engaged with may be the best solution for what dev time you can afford to spare at the time. Early focus is on improving content that all players are currently engaged with often.

That said, I don't like trying to solve in-game puzzles by thinking instead about the game-production process because it totally rips up the fourth wall (and it often robs you of the puzzle that was crafted for you by handing you a cruder route to the solution), but people do it because it's so often effective :(

Last edited:
Even far out in the black, any system having one or more gas giants with 8 or more moons is investigated by me, even if 'lore' suggests the DW station should be in, or very close to , the bubble - just because we don't know for certain :)

Love the main Raxxla thread, and happy to jump on the new ones as they spring up, just because each new perspective on the mystery is welcome :)

Heh FWIW I would conclude the opposite from the same data … because even if it is found it can't be investigated until you're ready for it to be investigated. With the release of Horizons, I might ensure the planet had atmosphere so it still couldn't be investigated
I wouldn't consider it "in the game" (Braben's implication to Drew) if it couldn't be interacted with by players.

Hence (disclaimer as before) it was something available with the assets at that time. It may be permit locked, but there is/was some way of getting that permit.

Ah, "mother" of galaxies, I didn't think of that.

In that case, harder to say which star is on her brow. Not one of the five bright ones.
I've seen pics where one of the stars in her head is on her brow. It depends on the art used. I'm not sure which star is which. I don't know much about constelations.
1579470668760.png
<- Can anyone read the text?

Particulary ones like this where she is on her torture chair thing. There seems to be two stories depecting how she is depicted. Unless I'm messing something up.
1579470592683.png

1579470415485.png

1579470472728.png
<-Nose star!

This one literally in the brow:
1579470521521.png
<-Does anyone know which star is on her left eyebrow?

Attachments

• 1579470193982.png
    1579470193982.png
    954 KB · Views: 204
  • 1579470394181.png
    1579470394181.png
    41 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Top Bottom