You can now link your PSN account to EDSM.net to log your journeys!

Welcome aboard the Dangerous ride.
Friend me in game (same User ID) if you need any in game help.
...and prepare yourself for a long (enjoyable) journey.
Congrats! Truth to be told, i had an EDSM account before the frontier auth was implemented and i had my account several times erased and new linked before i got from the forums the very same advice, just to wait to let it catch up. So, don't worry, you are not alone with your confusion.

Question - I quite like the idea of discovering stars and having my name up on the board. What's the easiest way to find a star that hasn't been discovered so I can plan a trip to it?

Don't use the beaten path to sag A or Colonia. Just pick a random star up the cygnus arm and head in the black. I did deep space exploration once and went 6500 LY out and did some discoveries.

Question - I quite like the idea of discovering stars and having my name up on the board. What's the easiest way to find a star that hasn't been discovered so I can plan a trip to it?

head a couple of hundred light years out from your current location, go above or below the galactic plane and you should find plenty of candidates.
you are only a few days into the game and probably won’t have the most suitable ship.
start to work on unlocking Felicity Farseer, she’ll be able to boost your Frameshift drive jump range which will help

Yeah we have discovered only a tiny fraction of the galaxy. Finding unexplored places isn’t difficult. As others have said, avoid the Sol-Colonia and Sol-Sag A* routes, and get off the galactic plane. You’ll soon find yourself in the unknown.

Be careful about connecting up to the wrong platform.
There are two levels of authentication.
Top layer - 1) login to EDSM to retrieve you commander profile - i.e. what EDSM knows about you, which expeditions you attend, what systems you visit

Secondary layer - 2) Elite Dangerous server authentication. - i.e. what the game knows about you. This is platform specific. If you link to the wrong platform, everything will report successfully but you wont get your details to populate the EDSM profile. For PS4, you should be click on playstation logo and using your sony credentials. If you get this wrong, you will be pulling back either Xbox or PC commander details (which will be empty).

I originally signed up from my PS4 account at the start of Distant Worlds II and it was a lot clunkier then. I can't speak for a new user, connecting now but it looks a lot more straight forward. For example - in the early days, you needed to have the console updater active on a second screen (iphone or Ipad) for updates to be imported. At least now, historic information is periodically pulled through.
(You may need to disconnect a previously validated authentication if you have, for instance, connected up to the Frontier servers as a PC commander instead of a PS4 commander.)
Good to know that you don't need the page opened parallel to the gaming session to import the data. Also joined for DW2 right after the feature became available, and that was really annoying.

is anyone else having problems getting it to update?

everytime i login, i see - Last synced message (UTC): 17 Aug 2020 19:42:32
it heads off to fetch the logs and reports refreshing dashboard, but only ever jumps to 17/08/2020, 20:47:41
i've tried my phone, my laptop... even tried internet explorer 11 🤮

my guess is something happened that session that it doesn't like.

thanks

Youll have to ask the admins of EDSM in the Tools and CAPI section of this forum to look at your logs as they import them manualy...
Theres a high chance theres nothing wong its just that youll need to refresh your tokens during import and it can't with out dropping connection...
AnthorNet
won't read this PS4 section much...
Its been updated to only run every 5 mins now. It actualy runs in background tabs and windows a lot better now..

Last edited:
Stupid question time, anyone have any idea how long this takes to sync, I created an account and logged in fine, but the data it is showing seems to be from about 3-4 weeks ago and then only seems to be partially correct (no ships, balance wrong, exploration data wrong and more)?

It goes in fits and starts (probably something to do with indexing).
I didn't sync for a while after the Fleet Carriers came out and thought similarly - i.e. that my login wasn't working.

I persevered and it finally caught up.

I eventually resorted to plugging an ipad in, disabling screen-saver and letting it run on an active tab whilst I went about my day, checking back every now and then to make sure it hadnt crashed.

Quick update in case anyone else is interested, watching EDSM sync it takes the data one day (sometimes part of a day if there is lots of activity) at a time. I had about 6 weeks of data so it took a good few hours, I just kept a tab open with it running in the background. What I will say it is well worth the wait, now I can plan and pull together information in one place, I'm even using the log entries to add information I pick up from various youtube channels :).

Quick update in case anyone else is interested, watching EDSM sync it takes the data one day (sometimes part of a day if there is lots of activity) at a time. I had about 6 weeks of data so it took a good few hours, I just kept a tab open with it running in the background. What I will say it is well worth the wait, now I can plan and pull together information in one place, I'm even using the log entries to add information I pick up from various youtube channels :).
Yea, its kind of a nuisance. I have to use a phone for edsm and it stops syncing if the screen closes or if I do anything other than let it sit. I've basically given up on edsm because of this. I guess they don't want any of my secrets of the galaxy 😉

Top Bottom