You know you’ve lost your player base when.....

You are not hearing what I say. I am not saying cosmetic sales aren't important to FD. I am saying your cosmetic purchases don't matter much to FD.
Well, neither does my purchase of Odyssey, if it comes to that.

Which is just as well, as I'm of an age when there's a non-zero chance that I might not be here to buy Odyssey next year.🙃

But I strongly suspect that there are enough people sharing my attitude to the game for that attitude to be of concern to Frontier.

And while committed (or ought to be) long-term players such as ourselves account for only a small percentage of game sales, the whales among us (I'm no whale, but in the past I've been no tadpole either) account for a much higher percentage of high-profit cosmetic sales.

I bought 25000 ARX.

I want the HMS Wensleydale to look as spiffy as possible, 400 a week is OK for peasant paintjobs.

£12.99 is better 'value' for that amount of in game currency than most MT heavy games, including cosmetic only ones.....see Dead or Alive 6.

I bought 25000 ARX.

I want the HMS Wensleydale to look as spiffy as possible, 400 a week is OK for peasant paintjobs.

£12.99 is better 'value' for that amount of in game currency than most MT heavy games, including cosmetic only ones.....see Dead or Alive 6.
Nice, but a bit crumbly.

I can forgive you for preferring a different platform for ED.

But no ketchup on chips.......that's a deal-breaker, Commander. :eek::D

Never been to the Netherlands have you?
We've got over a dozen different sauces to go with our fries.
Ketchup is one of the least favorite I think, unless it's in combination with mayonaise and onions.

Never been to the Netherlands have you?
We've got over a dozen different sauces to go with our fries.
Ketchup is one of the least favorite I think, unless it's in combination with mayonaise and onions.
Keep in mind that if The Sisko is American chips = crisps not fries.

Pretty sure planet zoo is paying the bills for frontier too until elite comes up with something to say for itself

Who cares if Planet Zoo does? Every stable owner has one horse that outperforms another, that doesn't mean they're contemplating shooting all the others.

Elite, I suspect, is quite a niche game. I have 2 sons, 16 and 18 years old, they have never shown the slightest interest in it. None of their friends play it. Yet FD just released some content for it (FCs) and we know more content is coming (Odyssey). Someone at FD still likes it. As far as I can see, as long as Frontier are making money from whatever title, they'll keep Elite going.

One of the things I do not understand is this concept about the 'player numbers'. The fact is, the main transaction was completed when someone purchased the game, what they do with it after, is almost irrelevant. So what if a year ago someone paid £30 for the game and today is playing NMS, MFS, SC, Candy Crush or whatever today, FD got the money from the initial sale. (btw, I'm completely aware lots of people paid more than that, the backers for example, I'm just talking about 'average' gamers)

Further to that, I cant remember exactly but I'm willing to bet I paid between £10-£30 for the game. I just checked this week, I have clocked up over a thousand hours in this game. I can't think of another thing I paid £30 or less for that has kept me entertained for over a thousand hours. So even if the game got pulled tomorrow, although I would be extremely disappointed, I figure I have had my money's worth. What is this obsession, this expectation, that Elite must continue to be the winning horse in the stable, must keep trying to dominate the market? Accept it it for what it is, it is a game that most purchased for the same amount that they purchased most other games that they own, most of which they have long since stopped playing. So not only is it a niche game, it sits in a small band of games that people play for a long, long time. I suppose you could add others to that but not many.

Some people get called 'Whit Knights' on this forum no doubt I have been shoved into that group at some point but the mentality of some people that get on this forum just baffles me. Posts written, almost in glee, that others games, made by either FD or other studios, are out performing Elite in either player numbers or sales. If people just accept that that is the nature of these things, then their glee just looks stupid. Shows a basic misunderstanding of the world works.

Just to labour the point, in the UK we have 4 main football leagues. No one in their right mind expects one club to maintain top place, in the top league, all year, year after year. Even when a club resides in the lowest league for decades, the club still invests, the fans still go and enjoy it. What is wrong with that? I bet no one is on the Scunthorpe FC Forum, linking video popularity to YouTube content for other clubs, calling the club doomed because it is unlikely they're going to be in the Champions League final this year.

tldr:

Most people paid around £30 for the game and many get their money's worth, who cares that they're possibly playing different games today?

Who cares if Planet Zoo does? Every stable owner has one horse that outperforms another, that doesn't mean they're contemplating shooting all the others.

Elite, I suspect, is quite a niche game. I have 2 sons, 16 and 18 years old, they have never shown the slightest interest in it. None of their friends play it. Yet FD just released some content for it (FCs) and we know more content is coming (Odyssey). Someone at FD still likes it. As far as I can see, as long as Frontier are making money from whatever title, they'll keep Elite going.

One of the things I do not understand is this concept about the 'player numbers'. The fact is, the main transaction was completed when someone purchased the game, what they do with it after, is almost irrelevant. So what if a year ago someone paid £30 for the game and today is playing NMS, MFS, SC, Candy Crush or whatever today, FD got the money from the initial sale. (btw, I'm completely aware lots of people paid more than that, the backers for example, I'm just talking about 'average' gamers)

Further to that, I cant remember exactly but I'm willing to bet I paid between £10-£30 for the game. I just checked this week, I have clocked up over a thousand hours in this game. I can't think of another thing I paid £30 or less for that has kept me entertained for over a thousand hours. So even if the game got pulled tomorrow, although I would be extremely disappointed, I figure I have had my money's worth. What is this obsession, this expectation, that Elite must continue to be the winning horse in the stable, must keep trying to dominate the market? Accept it it for what it is, it is a game that most purchased for the same amount that they purchased most other games that they own, most of which they have long since stopped playing. So not only is it a niche game, it sits in a small band of games that people play for a long, long time. I suppose you could add others to that but not many.

Some people get called 'Whit Knights' on this forum no doubt I have been shoved into that group at some point but the mentality of some people that get on this forum just baffles me. Posts written, almost in glee, that others games, made by either FD or other studios, are out performing Elite in either player numbers or sales. If people just accept that that is the nature of these things, then their glee just looks stupid. Shows a basic misunderstanding of the world works.

Just to labour the point, in the UK we have 4 main football leagues. No one in their right mind expects one club to maintain top place, in the top league, all year, year after year. Even when a club resides in the lowest league for decades, the club still invests, the fans still go and enjoy it. What is wrong with that? I bet no one is on the Scunthorpe FC Forum, linking video popularity to YouTube content for other clubs, calling the club doomed because it is unlikely they're going to be in the Champions League final this year.

tldr:

Most people paid around £30 for the game and many get their money's worth, who cares that they're possibly playing different games today?
Point 1) Elite players are mostly "winner" types, so it's natural of them to expect their favorite game to win too.
(That was a joke)

Point 2) I'm from germany, in our Bundesliga Bayern Munich just got the eighth title in a row. I expect nothing less, and my favorite game must be top spot also forever...
(That was also a joke, apart from the sad reality of that eight titles in a row...)

Point 3) Kerbal Space Program is the only other game I have 4 digit hours in, for even less money (20€)
But that is not the norm I guess.

Point 1) Elite players are mostly "winner" types, so it's natural of them to expect their favorite game to win too.
(That was a joke)

Point 2) I'm from germany, in our Bundesliga Bayern Munich just got the eighth title in a row. I expect nothing less, and my favorite game must be top spot also forever...
(That was also a joke, apart from the sad reality of that eight titles in a row...)

Point 3) Kerbal Space Program is the only other game I have 4 digit hours in, for even less money (20€)
But that is not the norm I guess.

ED right now is like trying to navigate Paris with your wife. Confused, angry, hungry..all the time the fuel gauge hovers above zero.

One of the differences is that Dartford FC, who I watch two or three times a season, only ask for money at most a year in advance (to labour the point not eight), don't gladually feed players onto the pitch until you might get a full team (if they can afford it), and don't expect me to pay more at half time to continue the full experience.

And it's all in actual reality at launch , err KickStarter, no Kickoff :)

Last edited:
As the wise man I am, all the times I went to France with my wife I steered well clear of Paris.

I went to Parisian Disney and went the stressful way. On the return journey we realised it was on the edge of Paris and was like 'huh'.

But ED players are now in that car, the DVDs have been watched twice, the snacks all gone, stuck in traffic, beeping and gesturing.

rocks back and forward thinking of that day

Point 2) I'm from germany

Wildly off topic aside story.

I've been to Berlin a good few times, love the place. Anyway,. I was there one time and I purchased a shirt in a shop without trying it on. When I got home, I found it was too small. I'm not good with foreign languages but I like to try, please and thank you, excuse me. I know those words, they always serve you well. Anyway, I looked up the phrase for "I have made a mistake", it is, "Ich habe einen Fehler gemacht". So the next day, I get the shirt, walk into town toward the shop, all the time repeating the phrase, Ich habe einen Fehler gemacht, Ich habe einen Fehler gemacht, Ich habe einen Fehler gemacht.

I get to the shop, up to the counter, I say to the woman, "Entschuldigen Sie, Ich habe einen Fehler gemacht." (excuse me, I have made a mistake). She smiles, and starts speaking rapid German to me. I apologise (in English) and say that I didn't catch a word of that. She breaks into a big smile and perfect English to ask me what is wrong, we have the conversation, she tells me to just swap the shirt for the one I want.

This done, I thank her (Vielen Dank) and I ask her about my German speaking, "You understood me then?"

She says, "Yes, though it was a little confusing, you see, you said 'I have made a mistake but we Germans never say that, we say 'A mistake has been made'." I love the Germans for that.

One of the differences is that Dartford FC, who I watch two or three times a season, only ask for money at most a year in advance (to labour the point not eight), don't gladually feed players onto the pitch until you might get a full team (if they can afford it), and don't expect me to pay more at half time to continue the full experience.

And it's all in actual reality at launch , err KickStarter, no Kickoff :)

You support Dartford and play Elite? The courage of some people amazes me.

(FWIW I used to be a season ticket holder at Fulham, I tell everyone, Fulham don't have supporters, they have sympathisers.)

Unlike football, Ed isn't or more likely shouldn't be a religion.

The griping comes from the dark side of passion, obsession, and I think a lot of people could do with a nice cup of tea and a sit down. Maybe even a chocolate digestive.

What is sad is (as others have pointed out) peeps pointing out game x or y are doing well vs elite insinuating that ED players are mugs, along with the (misplaced) sense of entitlement about "taking my money elsewhere" or worst of all an open letter.

Still, makes for fun reading.

Top Bottom