Elite / Frontier Your Elite Questions

Ah spit, still, can't exactly say i'm crushed (at least not any infinite gravity wells anyhoo. (Probably just as well)).

Contact binaries were a-plenty in FE2 tho, 'specially towards the galactic center. I'll have to dig out some old notes, if i can find 'em.

Ah spit, still, can't exactly say i'm crushed (at least not any infinite gravity wells anyhoo. (Probably just as well)).

Contact binaries were a-plenty in FE2 tho, 'specially towards the galactic center. I'll have to dig out some old notes, if i can find 'em.
And what happened when you entered such system?

<hint>Beta Lyrae</hint>

Time Dilation

David

When playing Elite on my Commodore 64 and firing on a space station, which led to the launching of dozens of police Vipers, was the slowdown I experienced, caused by an accurately programmed simulation of time dilation that the commanding pilot would have experienced due to high levels of adrenaline coarsing through his body, or was my 6510 CPU just maxed out?

Buellpilot

And what happened when you entered such system?

<hint>Beta Lyrae</hint>
Wow, found it on Jong's FFE StarSys... a contact binary! Only one i've seen labelled as such.

So.. umm, before i spend the next hour missioning it out there, it's gonna cause a CTD, right? :rolleyes:

Whatever, i had a txt file i'd noted with various stars fused into well-formed figure eights, but can't find it now. Typical.

I did however find these three practically s***ping spit (or would be if the game modelled accretion discs):

Andwave C & D -1640, 1046
Ololan C & D -1825, -1337
Iobear A & B 672, -2933

As well as these four completely merged, one inside the other:

Edhomi C & D -1822, 1321
Quaa C & D -1821, -1321
Inlami C & D -1821, 1311
Ladami C & D -1817, -1319

Seems to be some kind of pattern there, albeit all unexplored / no data available. Ho hum... so anyway, do i make for Beta Lyrae, or make dinner?

ETA: checked it out... crashed. Bummer.

Last edited:
Wow, found it on Jong's FFE StarSys... a contact binary! Only one i've seen labelled as such.

So.. umm, before i spend the next hour missioning it out there, it's gonna cause a CTD, right? :rolleyes:
Yes.

Whatever, i had a txt file i'd noted with various stars fused into well-formed figure eights, but can't find it now. Typical.

I did however find these three practically s***ping spit (or would be if the game modelled accretion discs):

Andwave C & D -1640, 1046
Ololan C & D -1825, -1337
Iobear A & B 672, -2933

As well as these four completely merged, one inside the other:

Edhomi C & D -1822, 1321
Quaa C & D -1821, -1321
Inlami C & D -1821, 1311
Ladami C & D -1817, -1319

Seems to be some kind of pattern there, albeit all unexplored / no data available. Ho hum... so anyway, do i make for Beta Lyrae, or make dinner?
Wow, how'd find it? External app?

Could you doctor a save in one of the systems?

@DraQ - sure, you can have the lot, they're all PC FE2 btw.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ARQJBUJC

Plus a couple more in there i found interesting (how many Reidquats out there? I'm up to 3 so far!) You'll find one or two of the ships are hacked for unlimited range, the only trick i used to find em... just exploring on the cheap basically.

edit: i couldn't get them working in GLFrontier unfortunately, so had to use DOSBox.

Last edited:
@DraQ - sure, you can have the lot, they're all PC FE2 btw.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ARQJBUJC
Many thanks. :D

Plus a couple more in there i found interesting (how many Reidquats out there? I'm up to 3 so far!)
I don't know (Reidquat is one of the "old systems", so I'm not sure if the FE2's algorithm can come up with such name like Elite algorithm did), but if such name can be generated by FE2, there should be around 15,000 Reidquats as the algorithm can only generate 32,768 unique names (according to the site I linked earlier).

edit: i couldn't get them working in GLFrontier unfortunately, so had to use DOSBox.
I prefer DOSBox anyway (textures!) and I know that saves are not cross-compatible - GLFrontier is reverse engineered Atari version, after all.

Ha! and we all thought we'd completed the thing years ago... :eek: So 3 down, 14,997 to go..

there's life in the old girl yet eh.

Any plans for a global launch campaign? If this new Elite were online, I'm sure many people from across the globe would like to join in.

My questions would be about First Encounters.

If you load firstenc.exe into a text editor, you see quite a bit of readable text, which never appears in the game.

I know that many features were cut due the problems with gametek, but that the text was written already suggests, that they were already plans how implement some of those features.

Could you comment on some of the following features that were cut? I think many in the community would like to know how those features were supposed to work.

From firstenc.exe:

"FOR SALE!!! His Excellency's QUEST class ship is on display at Capitol (Achenar) at [Da(30,30). Lottery tickets on sale HERE! Cost $500. The [Sc Civic Council regrets to inform you that you have not been selected in the Lottery to view His Majesty's QUEST ship but wishes you well in your future endeavours."

Was this supposed to come up, when your elite ranking was not high enough to get the offer at mic turners funeral? Were you supposed to steal the ship?

"Information is requested on the location of [MiR(Pn or NPC) or the ship 'Argent's Quest'. Good prices paid. WANTED [MiR(Pn or NPC) For HIGH TREASON and crimes against the state. Reward offered for accurate information leading to arrest or positive ID: $50,000 **check format for mission**"

You could hunt for mic turner? Or yourself (!?) Would it work like the Dentara Rast missions?

"The Department of Alien Studies of the Ghandi Institute (Wicca's World, Alioth) will run the following seminars nightly at 6 pm: Thargoid Culture, Thargoid-Human Interactions, Alien Psychology. Tickets available at the door. Maximum numbers: 300 The Department of Alien Studies of the Ghandi Institute is running a number of adult study seminars on Aspects of Thargoid Culture and Inter-species Harmony. All welcome. Please apply to the bursar on arrival in Wicca's World. Extra-mural studies courses available through the department of Alien Studies on Wicca's World (Alioth). Distance learning courses available. Applications to the Bursar at the Ghandi Institute. The Bursar of the Alien Studies Department invites you to a seminar tonight on Alien Development. All Welcome. Welcome to Wicca's World - the site of the Ghandi Institute. Feel welcome to attend any of our Alien Studies Courses. Modules run daily at 10:00am and 6:00pm. Attendance free. The staff of the Ghandi Institute cordially invites you to attend our selection of Alien Studies Continuing Education Courses."

Were you supposed to interact with the thargoids somehow? How so? I guess this was supposed to appear after you finish the thargoid quest?

"JOIN THE NAVY!
Become an Elite pilot in under two months. You too can train under some of the best fighter pilots the Galaxy has ever seen. Join us and save the human race. JOIN THE NAVY!
Take part in the greatest war the Galacy has ever witnessed. You too can pull your weight. Make your mark on the Alien and the Alliance. Fight with the Federal Navy. YOUR EMPIRE NEEDS YOU!
His Excellency's Navy offers places to new recruits. The best ships, the best guns - and the best trained pilots in the Galaxy. You could be one of them. Join now. YOUR EMPIRE NEEDS YOU!
Fight in defence of your Empire."

Now this is especially interesting. Looks like a war between the empire and the thargoids/alliance? WOW! The wet dream of every elite player I guess. Cursed be gametek. How was this supposed to work, though? Would you get special missions from the military BBS? Would it feel like a real war, or more like the average military missions? (were your "enemy" forgets you, as soon as you pay your bill)

"This month only. Join us and Know Your Future is Bright (this ad paid for by the Luminaries of Leeance) Can YOU speak Tharg?? Why take the risk? Join the Age of the Saved NOW and never worry again. Who Loves ya Babe? Not the Aliens. The end is truly Nigh. (Doom Laden Warnings Inc. brings you this interlude) Apocalypse NOW!! Neutron bombs had nothing on this. Get out there and live your last few moments Shave NOW or the Universe dies. The future lies in your hair (this ad funded by the Church of Kumbyar) REMEMBER!"

More interesting alien news.

"Have your battle cruisers serviced HERE (single month low price offer. See ship yard for details) GOING into BATTLE?? WHEN did you last have your ship SERVICED?? See Shipyard for this month's amazing low offers on full battle-re-fit. Do you Trust your lasers?? Low cost servicing for all fighter pilots available at the shipyard. Contact through the usual channels"

BATTLE CRUISERS!?!

"Fed/Imp truce - any pilot breaking truce will be subject to court-martial in their absence and sent a message informing them of new OUTLAW status. Federal pilots are reminded of the alliance with the Empire. Any pilot showing hostility to our allies will be court-martialled and outlawed Imperial pilots are reminded of His Excellency's truce with our new allies, the Federation. Any pilot known to have broken the truce will be OUTLAWED by order of the High Legislate."

Fed/Imp alliance? Against the aliens I guess?

"All Federal Commanders are warned of the increase in hostilities with the Empire. Any sightings of the Imperial War Fleet should be reported to the local FSS Captain"

More wow. A war between the federation/empire? When was this scheduled to take place? And is the previously mentioned fed/imp alliance a result of the war?

"INSURANCE: Could you afford it if your ship was damaged?"

Insurance sounds interesting. I guess your repairs would be free of charge, if you paid a monthly fee?

Last edited:
Is next gen under your nose already?

Mr Braben,

Hello, And thank you for your informative talks and insights so far.
What does it take to be next gen.... I think we already have the tools,
We just need the imagination. And the understanding of what is next gen.
I think Next gen is split into two areas,
1) Is the progress made in games like "Outsider"
2) Is the visual immersion of TRUE 3d. (NOT Stereoscopic 3d)

You have already made the 1st step with the production of Outsider.
I believe you should release a lesser (CPU Intensive) title with TRUE 3d.

My question is - Would you be prepared to take the SECOND step into next gen and release a concept True 3d Elite game before the next BIG elite release?

The tools to do this would be a Port or Rewrite of Frontier First Encounters or something similar for the Wii under the WiiWare banner. We are aiming for a Small game footprint (40mb). The Wii controller and Nunchuck should give a nice control system.
Then using a similar technique to Johnny Lee Wii 3d for visuals and True 3d immersion.
Two controllers and One set of Glasses is all you'd need.

You could sell "Offical" HUD glasses or a Cap and 2nd controller stand via an online store,
With Elite/Frontier logos - Something like this would be cool:
image.php

Last edited:
As well as loving space sims,
I'm a big Formula 1 fan.
I can definitely say that is not Michael Schumacher.
An image search for a young Michael does show he looks similar,
but that's not him in the video.

(Plus she says his names Marcus, listen carefully)

Nice try tho :D

edit : I could be wrong, of course. I'll ask some other F1 fans and i'll let you know.

Last edited:
(Apologies if this is double posting)

I have a couple of questions for Mr D. Braben,
Q : Are remakes like Oolite what you and Ian envisaged Elite to be even though it wasn't technically possible at the time ?
Q : How do you feel about remakes like Oolite being more popular than the original versions of Elite 25 years later (i.e. now) ?

Top Bottom