Elite / Frontier Your Elite Questions

David's been fairly busy recently, hence there are some unanswered questions in this thread - hopefully a few were answered with the Twitter Q&A. I'll be taking a selection from this thread and giving them to David.

When the crap are you going to properly confirm or deny Elite 4?

Questions like this aren't going to get you answers any sooner. Please keep questions clean.

David's been fairly busy recently, hence there are some unanswered questions in this thread - hopefully a few were answered with the Twitter Q&A. I'll be taking a selection from this thread and giving them to David.

While your at it, Ask him if he will open source Frontier First Encounters and put up any old design notes, code or game flow charts.

Cheers,
Oz.

I would like to ask David if any of the many thoughts in the massive Elite IV ideas thread have impressed him and are any of them under serious consideration for inclusion in the eventual release. I am not asking which ones, although I admit I would love to know.:D

While your at it, Ask him if he will open source Frontier First Encounters and put up any old design notes, code or game flow charts.

That is very good question! Russians did a great job changing visual aspect of the game. Perhaps with a little help from FD modders would be able to do real modding. New missions, places, equipment, ships and better game balance. Modding posibilities seems to be limitless.
:D

Hello again.

I don't want to sound impolite (excuse me if I do) but there are two frequent questions returning from time to time on this forum:

"will David Braben open source Frontier First Encounters and put up any old design notes, code or game flow charts?"

Or

"Why didn't he"

Thank you.

Last edited:
I have started a new game tutorial - Hopefully to be entitled "Elite - Recreating a legend", which will be a step by step process in building a space trading adventure game, making use of a modern 3D physics engine. It would be great to use the Elite universe, and the ships from the original Elite game; and recreate the classic, to also share the nostalgia and beauty of untold hours of fun.
My question is: Will I be be infringing on copyright, or should I rather use another universe and ships? There are many to pick from, but then it would lose its nostalgia angle for me.
http://jestermon.weebly.com

Last edited:
An admirable aim, but are you aware that there is an excellent modern take on Elite called Oolite already available?
No reason not to do your own thing, of course, but you might not get the level of interest you're hoping for :(

An admirable aim, but are you aware that there is an excellent modern take on Elite called Oolite already available?
No reason not to do your own thing, of course, but you might not get the level of interest you're hoping for :(

It's more a challenge to get the thing done, than anything else, and share the experience in the process. But your reference to Oolite answers my actual question. I wont be infinging on copyrights by going ahead.
Thanks for your reply.

My question...

As far as I remember, the C64 version of 'Elite' had only three special missions: buying some Trumbles, hunting down the Constrictor and delivering secret Thargoid plans.

In other versions of the game there is also a mission where you have to destroy a cloaked ship, which is not visible on the radar. According to my online searching, the ship type is called 'Cat' or 'Cougar' (see http://www.neilwallis.com/elitejava/yardbbc2.htm for a 3d image)

Over 20 years ago I played the German version of 'Elite' on my C64 and know for sure that I met this exact ship there, invisible and everything... however I didn't get a cloaking device after destroying it (dropped container only had normal cargo in it).

Now I wonder if anyone else has ever found this ship in the C64 version, and/or if the existance of this ship in that version has already been mentioned anywhere?

hi guys every where i look i keep geting told that i can download frontier final encounter here at this site can some one plz tell me im dieing here trying to find the download because if it has an instal directory i can download thes files with beter grafix for it but most of all i just whant the game so can some one plz help :(

In my posting history
;)

I bow down to your superior necromancy skills!

iu

I also bow down to Sir TJ, the only person I recognize on that first page.

David, it possible to open permission for systems without permission currently? do they contain a secret? why block access to them? example polaris, col 70, triton ....

My entry for today's necro competition.

Ooh noice!

Wayback Machine has a nice little cache of the Elite 25th Anniversary website as it was back in the day. (2009)

Found some very interesting FFE terrain pics included on its Media page, such as this one that appears to show a 640x400 SVGA mode, massive cliffs and what appear to be polygon clouds with shadows! 😎

Frontier-Elite2-pic019.jpg

I wonder what the story is behind these images?
It seems a little odd to have included what are clearly WIP images rather than screenshots from the released version of FFE... :unsure:

David, it possible to open permission for systems without permission currently? do they contain a secret? why block access to them? example polaris, col 70, triton ....

Errr... you may be a little late to be asking DB questions in this thread!

[edit] The 2009 thread for the selected Questions and Answers can be found here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-25th-anniversary-twitter-q-a-with-db.1393/

Last edited:
Top Bottom