Your most insane price for any ride you have?

while looking on the steam workshop, I found a little track ride and put it into my park and it has the most prestige and theme of any ride and I've had to raise the price cause the guests kept saying it was a good deal.

and the weird thing is, they still think is a good deal....for a track ride. It has also broke my other rides in getting any guests, like I placed a launch coaster and no guest can see it for some reason, even if its got high prestige and what not and and very small queue size....

what has been your most insane price on your rides that guests still pay after the fact?

I once managed to charge 20 bucks for a ride that was nothing but going around in a circle and looking at copies of the same tree. That totally beats the exciting coaster I built. No, it's fine, just keep sitting as your car slowly goes in a circle. I hope you like the Alpine Fir Tree.

I once managed to charge 20 bucks for a ride that was nothing but going around in a circle and looking at copies of the same tree. That totally beats the exciting coaster I built. No, it's fine, just keep sitting as your car slowly goes in a circle. I hope you like the Alpine Fir Tree.

Nothing wrong with a nice Alpine Fir Tree. I'd totally pay for that.

I saw a similar thread for the river rapids, career/challenge mode seems so unbalanced, I guess theres not much that can be done about this sort of thing.

As was demonstrated by Brothgar on YouTube, the highest price you can charge without having anybody complain about it is (ride's prestige) / 37.6. You can charge more but you get lost sales and some negative thoughts.

The highest prestige I've ever had for a ride was 1386. Thus, I charged $36.86 for it and nobody complained.

However, charging high prices for anything is not IMHO in your best interests. Then peeps run out of money too soon and wander around the park for a while as angry ghosts cursing that they can't afford anything., So, having demonstrated Brothgar was right, I set the ride back to my usual thing:

* really pimped rides: $15
* average coasters and track rides: $10
* flat rides: $5
* park entrances: $10 ($8 for families)
* food, drink, and gifts: default

Last edited:
the pre-built coaster on the first scenario (pirate battle) has a ride prestige of 871, and you can charge $24 without complaints (which is #1 more than prestige / 37.6) and I was also able to raise the price to $27 with only a few complaints. Where did 37.6 come from? Either way I think you got the right pricing bullethead, though you can easily raise prices a tad on shops

Last edited:
i don't think that is as profitable, unless you have a ton of guests and shops

it's not but i can't handle charging 10 bucks for a single ride, you would get broke before you could ride half the rides. And who goes to a theme park without riding the best rides at least twice?

the pre-built coaster on the first scenario (pirate battle) has a ride prestige of 871, and you can charge $24 without complaints (which is #1 more than prestige / 37.6) and I was also able to raise the price to $27 with only a few complaints. Where did 37.6 come from? Either way I think you got the right pricing bullethead, though you can easily raise prices a tad on shops

I got the 37.6 from Brothgar's video on the subject of ride pricing: https://youtu.be/fk4ErtvK5yA

He discovered that the relationship between ride prestige and no-complaint ticket price is linear, related by a factor of approximately 37.6. That's a bit on the conservative side as you demonstrated, but close enough.

However, as mentioned, I think it's counterproductive to charge inflated prices for anything. Peeps seem to spend a certain amount of time in the park before wanting to go home so I try to time things so they run out of money just as the urge to leave hits. That way they stay as happy as possible during their whole stay and I don't get a lot of angry ghosts.

* really pimped rides: $15

really pimped rides = ? (I'm guessing anything over about 750 prestige?)

I have a classic log flume with Prestige 1444. Without doing calculations I was getting $35 without a problem I guess I could have charged $38.40. [shocked] I changed it to $20 but now I will change it to $15. Thanks for the ride pricing Bullethead. that is a very useful observation.

Here is a pic of all the peeps bunching at the log flume. The queue is long, too long really (IMO queue preference decision has been nerfed incorrectly) and you can see the swings (also classic) in the bg are not bunching up and not popular . Most everywhere else in the park its a desolate wasteland. To the peeps, The Fortune Bay Logging Co. is the only thing of any importance. Wood must be highly sought after. Maybe we should have a log and wood crafting shop to help fill the peeps needs?

V8LI9cA.jpg

The queue is long, too long really (IMO queue preference decision has been nerfed incorrectly)

I agree, so many people complained their lines were too short, but I never thought that was a problem. And the water rides have also been known to be wayyy too popular among guests

I got the 37.6 from Brothgar's video on the subject of ride pricing: https://youtu.be/fk4ErtvK5yA

He discovered that the relationship between ride prestige and no-complaint ticket price is linear, related by a factor of approximately 37.6. That's a bit on the conservative side as you demonstrated, but close enough.

However, as mentioned, I think it's counterproductive to charge inflated prices for anything. Peeps seem to spend a certain amount of time in the park before wanting to go home so I try to time things so they run out of money just as the urge to leave hits. That way they stay as happy as possible during their whole stay and I don't get a lot of angry ghosts.

I haven't done a ton of research to figure out the formula but I can say that it's not a simple prestige/37.6 because the park entry fee discounts the amount that guests are willing to pay for rides tickets.

Prestige/37.6 doesn't seem far off with a $0 entry fee though.

really pimped rides = ? (I'm guessing anything over about 750 prestige?)

No, I try for an average of about 800-1000 prestige for the bulk of my rides. The carousel and similar simple, non-exciting flat rides, are hard to get much over 600 without making their durations just stupid, so I've given up trying. They can't compete with anything else anyway and just serve the niche market of really timid peeps who are afraid of everything else. So why waste time really decorating them? I just try to keep them from being eyesores compared to the rest of the park and only have but a couple such things. "Really pimped rides" to me are anything over 1200-1300.

Thanks for the ride pricing Bullethead. that is a very useful observation.

Brothgar discovered that, not me :)

Here is a pic of all the peeps bunching at the log flume. The queue is long, too long really (IMO queue preference decision has been nerfed incorrectly) and you can see the swings (also classic) in the bg are not bunching up and not popular . Most everywhere else in the park its a desolate wasteland.

Yeah, the prestige system really favors track rides. They have medium (5-ish) excitement with no trouble, plus relatively long duration, plus mondo scenery, so it's quite easy to make them with prestige well over 1000. And their relatively low fear (usually < 4.0) makes them appealing to about 80% of all peeps. So if you give them very much queue space, they become tar pits that glom onto most of your customers at the expense of everything else. So these days, I don't put any zig-zags in track ride queues, just a straight run in from the main path. Many peeps are disappointed the queue is full but that doesn't last---they go ride something else and get happy again.

BTW, the chairs-on-chains flat ride can be tweaked to have steady business. I forget exactly what I did (other than about double its duration) to it in Misfit Toyland, but it usually ran a slight profit. It's exciting enough to get pretty decent prestige if you make it last long enough. The flats the struggle the most are those with relatively high and relatively low fear. The low-fear ones have no excitement and thus low prestige, and the high-fear ones have to compete with the middling-fear things like the chairs-on-chains so are also something of a niche market. I haven't studied them all yet, but right now I consider the Hellion Ring to be the biggest loser. You can't make it exciting without also making it scary and nauseating, so its prestige is always on the low side even with a long duration, and its fear and nausea keep most customers away.

Yeah, the prestige system really favors track rides. They have medium (5-ish) excitement with no trouble, plus relatively long duration, plus mondo scenery, so it's quite easy to make them with prestige well over 1000. And their relatively low fear (usually < 4.0) makes them appealing to about 80% of all peeps. So if you give them very much queue space, they become tar pits that glom onto most of your customers at the expense of everything else. So these days, I don't put any zig-zags in track ride queues, just a straight run in from the main path. Many peeps are disappointed the queue is full but that doesn't last---they go ride something else and get happy again..

That's for sure! After 25 years its even more apparent. Bitter Jeweler brings this up in a thread he started which I found very interesting and has some great ideas here: https://forums.planetcoaster.com/sh...solution-for-the-ride-aging-prestige-mechanic

In short, I think prestige/aging does not work properly and the game is better without it.
I started Fortune Bay Park in challenge mode, hard, with reputation turned on because I wanted to play the game the way the devs intended, but once the track rides hit 25 years it was obvious that that system is horribly broken or at least, not working the way it was intended. Recently, I began a new challenge park with age/rep tuned off, and find it so much more enjoyable.

Even without age/rep turned on the queues can be just ridiculous peep parasites... Escpecially track rides. I too have made queues short to workaround this badly, nerfed, peep thought process. I liked it better before they devs "fixed" it. I hope that this issue is addressed in the April update.

As for this thread: I think Squablo wins!

That is by far the most insane (and hillarious) and has inspired me to make my own fir tree ride.[up]

In short, I think prestige/aging does not work properly and the game is better without it.

That's a bit harsh. I think you misunderstand what prestige is and why it's there. Aging is a separate issue, or at most a spin-off, so it's best to discuss these things separately.

So, prestige... You have a park with a large variety of rides: coasters, flats, and tracks, with the full spectrum of EFN and every other way where rides can be different. Peeps somehow have to decide which one of all these rides to go on next. Fear and nausea tolerance shorten the list some but odds are, there will still be quite a few rides suitable to every individual peep, so there must be some sort of tie-breaking mechanism. Problem is, the rides are so physically different that you can't just compare their individual attributes. And you can't use their straight EFN values because then coasters would totally dominate things like track rides that simply are incapable of having high EFNs. So, we have prestige, a composite of several different attributes, the idea being that a given type of rides would be strong in 1 or 2 of these areas but weak in the other(s). Doing this allows rides with vastly different physical characteristics to be compared directly together and thus compete on hopefully an equal footing. IOW, the idea is to take apples and oranges and turn them all into plums.

IMHO this basic idea is a simple and elegant solution. It's a good thing and I think the game is much improved since it was introduced. Now, can the prestige system be improved? Certainly. But that's a balancing issue, not a systemic problem. Maybe change the relative weighting of the things that go into the prestige score, maybe add 1 or 2 additional factors to the mix, but on the whole. However, regardless of how you tweak the system, it will still work the same way. All that will change is something like the relative popularity of track rides, but that just means something else will probably take their place.

So the main thing, IMHO, is that players need to have an overall prestige plan for their park. You need to build rides with a park-wide average prestige value in mind, and understand that rides with prestige significantly higher or lower than that will get disproportionately more or less business. This is in addition to providing enough rides with various fear ratings to give each demographic some variety.

Now, we get to ride aging. Aging is just a complication on this because it makes rides' prestige vary over time. This adds a layer to the prestige plan because now you have to schedule new construction to fit into the ever-changing prestige situation. Before starting a game, therefore, it's essential know the rates of prestige change, so you can space out construction to match both your revenue and the prestige situation. Or you can just turn aging off.

I started Fortune Bay Park in challenge mode, hard, with reputation turned on because I wanted to play the game the way the devs intended, but once the track rides hit 25 years it was obvious that that system is horribly broken or at least, not working the way it was intended. Recently, I began a new challenge park with age/rep tuned off, and find it so much more enjoyable.

LOL! Sorry. I just find it amusing to hear folks say they chose hard or harder difficulty, then claim the game is broken because it wasn't easy :D

Seriously, if the devs had intended the game to be played with the "hard" settings, they'd have called those settings "normal" and "hard" would be more difficult. When making a game, you put your balancing efforts into the "normal" level. The other difficulty levels are by definition imbalanced---that's what makes them easier or harder, the lack of balance found at the normal level. And because of this lack of balance, any imbalances at the normal level will be amplified at the other levels, so you should always expect strange results. That's the nature of game design.

That is by far the most insane (and hillarious) and has inspired me to make my own fir tree ride.[up]

And anybody can always find a way to game a game. Such things have zero relevance, for several reasons:

1. This is a single-player game. Thus, such exploits have zero effect on any other player.

2. Nobody seriously trying to play the game as intended will do such things in their real parks.

3. What people do in the privacy of their own single-player games is their own business. If getting Steam achievements is a big deal to somebody, and he finds an exploit to get an achievement quickly and easily, that's his business. Nobody else should care.

That's a bit harsh..
[rolleyes]
I think you misunderstand what opinion is and why people have them. (now because I can't be bothered to exhaust a subject to the upmost extent as you can... please pretend (I know that may be hard for you) that now I go off on a full page post telling you what an opinion is.... Blah Blah Blah... more windbag regurgitation... blah blah blah....)

Now I will give you a very harsh opinion of your opinion and why you are so completely and totally wrong..

and to follow up, If you don't think that this thread has any relevance and that Squablo's post is not worth caring about why are you taking place in this thread about insanity to begin with? Oh.. wait please don't answer the question... I don't want to read your exhaustive, diatribe about how very brilliant you are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom