YOUR name in Elite! Tourist Beacon competition

I present to you Ausain DA-A d4 for your consideration! The 4th planet is a ringed Earth-like world in co-orbit with a gas giant. It has space-dwelling life in its rings, and a landable moon with a great view.
44m0pczx4m141.jpg

Last edited:
@Bruce G : is it the ELW itself that is more important than what else can be found in the system? For example, I could submit an ELW that orbits a ringed gas giant as its moon very close, on an inclined plane, and it's also inside a nebula - but there isn't much else of interest in that system.
Meanwhile, my first post here has plenty to visit in the system besides the Earth-like. Since we're allowed only one submission that will be considered, which is better: a system with a more rare ELW but not much else, or a system with a rare ELW but other stuff to see too?

Last edited:

Bruce G

Senior Community Manager
@Bruce G : is it the ELW itself that is more important than what else can be found in the system? For example, I could submit an ELW that orbits a ringed gas giant as its moon very close, on an inclined plane - but there isn't much else of interest in that system. Meanwhile, my first post here has plenty to visit in the system besides the Earth-like. Since we're allowed only one submission that will be considered, which is better: a system with a more rare ELW but not much else, or a system with a rare ELW but other stuff to see too?
Great question! We're most interested in systems that have a lot going on - the idea is that the whole system should act as a tourist destination. The focus doesn't need to be on the ELW specifically, but we do require that the submitted systems have at least one.

@Bruce G
Sorry if this is a dumb ass question, but seeing as Odyssey is only on PC, will you be considering Horizons images from consoles too even though the graphics quality won't be as good or if Odyssey itself changes the system in some way. I know that a few Horizons systems do look different in Odyssey.
Thanks.

No this isn't a dig at us console users not having Odyssey lol.

Last edited:

Bruce G

Senior Community Manager
@Bruce G
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but seeing as Odyssey is only on PC, will you be considering Horizons images from consoles too even though the graphics quality won't be as good or if Odyssey itself changes the system in some way. I know that a few Horizons systems do look different in Odyssey.
Thanks.

No this isn't a dig at us console users not having Odyssey lol.
Absolutely! Horizons/console entries will be judged equally along with Odyssey/PC ones.

System: Nyeajeau XF-T c5-9

Commander: Maolagin

Just a few hundred light years below Eagle's Landing on the Colonia highway, I found this rare example of a triplet of ELWs in a complex three-body orbit. As I wrote for the Galactic Mapping Project at the time:

Not only does this system feature a rare triplet of earth like worlds, but the three planets orbit close enough to be mutually tidally locked, and all three skirt the lower limits of mass and temperature for Earth-like habitability. Inhabitants of the inner binary would see a blue-green marble appearing larger than Earth's moon hanging motionless in the sky. Meanwhile those living on the world that orbits those two would see two brilliant little blue beads juggling together in a never ending dance, their common center likewise fixed in the sky. There would be plenty of time for stargazing too, since thanks to the tidal lock, all three planets have days and nights that last for weeks. For those interested in exploration a 4th water world is also found here. Named "Al-Qūhī Oasis" after Abū Sahl al-Qūhī, a great mathematician and astronomer of 10th century Baghdad, who is said to have first developed an interest in parabolic arcs while juggling in the market.
2019-02-02 04-21-39 Nyeajeau XF-T c5-9-Nyeajeau XF-T c5-9 3.jpg

Might see if I can get out there and take a new screenshot this week. It looks like the planets are currently in a good alignment to get all three in a single frame from the perspective of the inner binary.

EDIT: I was right about the alignment, huzzah. Good thing I didn't wait, a couple days later and I wouldn't have been able to get this shot, including the Eagle Nebula itself in the background! CMs, please consider the following image as my entry for this system:

2021-09-24 23-06-10 Nyeajeau XF-T c5-9-Nyeajeau XF-T c5-9 1.jpg

Last edited:
CMDR Kissamies
System: Cat's Paw Sector OI-T C3-51
Description: Planet 6. Has a terraformable (Edit: and landable) moon and planet 5 is also terraformable. This planet orbits a 200 million years old T Tauri star and still has managed to already become an Earthlike. Viewed from Sol, the system is just behind the Cat's Paw Nebula, which dominates the skies on the planet. The distance from the Bubble also makes it a nice destination for CMDRs looking to fulfill Professor Palin's travel requirement.
Cat's Paw Sector OI-T C3-51 6.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't qualify for this but can I be cheeky and re-submit the very first ever submission for Frontier's original round of requests for tourist beacon suggestions.

It's been over 5 years, the suggested location is still in the game, still a hugely popular tourist destination, and still, sadly, un-sign-posted.

Source: https://youtu.be/r8Q773nxiJ0

Located in the Epsilon Indi system, Mitterand Hollow is one of the true wonders of the galaxy and an absolute "must see" for any budding tourist. It's a landable rocky world with an Earth relative gravity of 0.09G and a composition of 80% rock 20% metal, however what sets it apart from any other known planetary body is the fact that it orbits its parent water world of New Africa once every 80 seconds. Just landing on Mitterand Hollow is a challenge in itself and a real thrill ride for pilot and passenger alike. Indeed, its ferocious orbital speed has led to it being called "the moon that lands on you". Once safely on the surface the endless cycle of alternating night and day while the awe inspiring body of New Africa rolls majestically across the sky is something few will ever forget.

Whether you consider it to be an insult to the laws of physics, a freak of nature or final proof of the existence of god, Mitterand Hollow is unquestionably somewhere to be seen, even if it cannot be fully comprehended.

Cmdr Alec Turner

o7

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders,

Explorers venture into the depths of space and discover beautiful systems that most will never see. We would like to offer you the opportunity to share your best discoveries and be immortalised in Elite Dangerous.

Our plan is to place approximately 50 additional Tourist Beacons throughout the Milky Way. Therefore, we’re running this competition in-line with this week’s exploration-based Community Goal.

To enter, reply to this post with an in-system (not System Map) screenshot of the most interesting unpopulated systems containing an Earth-like world you can find! When the Community Goal ends on 30 September, we’ll choose our favourites and add Tourist Beacons to those locations. Each beacon will feature the entrant’s Commander name in its text!

To qualify, submissions must:
  • Feature a screenshot of an unpopulated system in Elite Dangerous which contains an Earth-like world
  • Include your in-game Commander name
  • Include the name of the screenshotted system
Note: Only one submission will be accepted per player. If you submit multiple screenshots, the last one will be considered your only valid entry. Entries after 14:00 BST on 30 September will not be counted. We reserve the right not to include any Commander names in Tourist Beacon text that we deem inappropriate.

While the system must contain an Earth-like world, it doesn’t have to be the focus of the image. Try to show off as many features as you can which make the system interesting and a strong potential tourist destination!

All winning entries will receive 5,000 ARX in addition to the Tourist Beacon, so get exploring!

Good luck

O7
Hello. o7
This is my entry for the ELW competition

System Name. DROJU OY-G D11-9 A 1
Commander’s Name. Lord_Shand
2434FF16-359B-4077-B5FC-46E98C42BAEA.jpeg

Not much of a reader eh :) Bruce answered that literally 3 posts above yours ...
Yeah sorry I missed the response . It's nice to see Bruce on the forums though.
But of a sad indictment that the question had to be asked though , don't you think ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom