Your ships of choice tells more about you thank you think!

As the years of me playing ED tick by, my appreciation to the detail they put into ships hasn't waned by even the slightest. As a matter of fact, the very sound they make induces very vivid associations with real life examples and what they represent, I would even dare to bet, that if you tell me what your favorite ship is in elite dangerous, I could tell a few things about what kind of cars/boats/planes/heavy machinery you prefer. Here is what I mean:

flat,128x128,075,f-pad,128x128,f8f8f8.u1.jpg
(1) LAKON: The sound that resembles a big, stonking reactor, gargling vibrations across the hull, meaning you got something big, tough under the "hood" of your ships, meant to either jump very far or power a big ship! Kind of like the old lazy 60's american V8 "boat" engines that were massive, powerful, but having a hard time to get moving! You don't care how it looks, you just want it BIG! and you want it to RUMBLE! If the rest is good, as far as you're concerned, its just gravy. Think "lowrider" and you will get the picture!

saud.png
(2) SAUD KRUGER: An excessively muffled sound with sophistication, so sophisticated in fact that the higher class passengers can hear the flight attendant shushing one of the passengers on the lower decks for getting drunk and being too rowdy. The kind of ship where you would fire the waiter for picking his nose even out sight of the passengers! And if anyone has a problem, they can get out and spacewalk! No! No time to get breathing gear, just GTFO and stop bothering me and the passengers!

flat,128x,075,f-pad,128x128,f8f8f8.u5.jpg
(3) GUTAMAYA: The pinnacle of imperial engineering, where even the ship noise is given special attention, making only one, clear, precise message - if you are a fellow Gutamaya ship owner, it is sweet music to your ears, and if you are not, it is clearly telling you that you are a moonshine slurping peasant and you should keep your hands off the fine imperial wine! You smile and gloat as those beneath you couldn't tell the difference between abstract art and something they stepped on! Think cadillac, rolls royce, private yahts. Gutemaya aren't the best at they make, but they REALLY want to do it in style! And you don't care if it costs extra, you want that extra leathery smell on your flight seat!

flat,128x,075,f-pad,128x128,f8f8f8.u4.jpg
(4) CORE DYNAMICS: The sound of nice, well developed, reliable engines that have been around for a very long time and not much gets changed from ship to ship except for the reactor volume which is just enough to match the size of the ride you are having. If you go for a core dynamics ships, you are making a statement, and that statement is function over form, effect over appearance! You are the opposite of what Lakon represents and in most cases, you will outperform them, except maybe long distance travel which is the only place where that engine mediocrity lets you down. Its the mainstream choice, its what everyone picks to solve their problems and not stand out!

delacy.png
(5) FAULCON DELACY: You say to yourself: "Hey, there is nothing wrong with old school", as you listen to those classic thruster sounds that eerily resemble the ancient chemically propelled rockets, and there is nothing wrong with that. DeLacy ships have been around for a long time and are using the tried and proven formula, and you are a tinkerer, a mechanic that likes those old ones because that tech is robust and simplified, which means its easy and cheap to maintain!

zorgon.png
(6) ZORGON PETERSON: This one is a bit of a bipolar one. At the lower end, you have those budget flyers that sound like they work really well for the jobs they were intended to do. Like those low volume turbodiesel engines that they pretty much stick into anything that needs torque but doesn't need to get anywhere in a hurry, but will pull really nicely when they are empty. Its like a daily driver for a penny pincher that you can load up on occasion as long as you don't have too much to lug around.

But on the other hand you have the top end murder machines, who, when you flip that throttle, scream so over the top with power that you almost get the impression that its going to blow itself apart just leaving the dock with that giant oversized reactor. You splurged the disproportionately big bucks to be a badass in a holistic package that includes looks, sound and lots of GUNS! It reminds of Lamborghini actually, they started off as making tractors, many of which were so robust that they still run today, but now they make really awesome sports cars. Battle with top end ZP ships always looks like over the top (bordeline amphetamine induced) lunacy which can last for up to half an hour in some cases. Take the Fer or the Mamba, and you advertise to everyone that you are picking for a fight or you are that uneducated lottery winner with so many gold chains it hurts your neck who has spent a lot of money buying something you don't fully understand just because it looks cool on a poster.

What is your oppinion on my ship manufacturer descriptions? Do your ships of choice represent the things you like IRL? Or are you a hoarder like the Elite: Dangerous version of Jay Leno?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOOXueUv5c

You know, I don't even know who makes my ship, I could look it up I suppose, but I can't be bothered. If you think my choice of ship tells you anything about me when it's something I don't even know myself then you are kidding yourself.

You know, I don't even know who makes my ship, I could look it up I suppose, but I can't be bothered. If you think my choice of ship tells you anything about me when it's something I don't even know myself then you are kidding yourself.
I would bet Frontier was looking at cars, tanks, trucks, bulldozers and other heavy machinery when they were designing every aspect of all the ships that are in the game, and people have preferences. Sometimes they exalt those preferences in the most unlikely of places due to the associations they make, without them even realizing. Its how our monkey brains are made. The brain looks for shortcuts, it looks for similar features and sticks it in a group entirely without our control, sometimes even without our knowledge. So when you like one thing, and your brain makes an association to another, then that one thing's features can tell you at least some things those features are associated to.

What the ____ is this?? Reminds me of some 'which disney princess are you quiz' bad clickbait i saw on Facebook like 10 years ago.
Where, there is one thing to click at, an embedded youtube video with some highly inappropriate Elite: Dangerous p***n! :ROFLMAO:

I would bet Frontier was looking at cars, tanks, trucks, bulldozers and other heavy machinery when they were designing every aspect of all the ships that are in the game, and people have preferencres. Sometimes they exalt those preferences in the most unlikely of places due to the associations they make, without them even realizing. Its how our monkey brains are made. The brain looks for shortcuts, it looks for similar features and sticks it in a group entirely without our control, sometimes even without our knowledge. So when you like one thing, and your brain makes an association to another, then that one thing's features can tell you at least some things those features are associated to.

Monkey Brains are made, human brains are trained. Supermarkets put stuff they want to sell at hand height and at the front of rows, once you figure out the tricks they use to try and fool your brain it becomes second nature to watch out for those sort of things.

I think I'm feeling like Lakon today, with a little bit of Zorgon Peterson mixed in maybe. Is it crazy to think you could be both? Like converging between these two spheres of ship manufacturers.

Is it absurd to think people fly ships because of how they handle in space? You can't even see its styling while you are using it. While you might see similarities in ships to things in real life, why do you think others see it the same way? You look at an FDL and see a sports car. I see a fighter jet. Someone else may see a cigarette boat or a flying pizza slice. Monkeys eat bugs and throw poo. Humans put a man on the moon, create art and build nuclear weapons.

Top Bottom