Your zoo visits

Lately we saw some Talk about real Zoos and i thought, why not expand it to just visits in particular?
The reason is that i traveld across germany to berlin and ended my trip by visiting the zoo Berlin today.
And it was great!
I havent even Seen everything, some things were Not viewable because of corona reasons, Most of the things were sad but fine, but the one True disapointment was that i couldnt See the Kiwi because of that. Ngl pretty bitter.
But thats not the only reasons, as my friend Who doesnt really care about zoos was so Kind to visit the zoo with me, but after 5 hours He really did Not feel like watching the outdoor monkey enclousures, meerkats and porcupines.
We also did a Lot of breaks, as He isnt used to walking around a lot, but actually that was the Best thing ever.
New protipp i have learned today:
Its much better to spend a Lot of time at a few habitats then spending everywhere just a Bit because you want to See everything. Visiting the Zoo is an experience, Not a checklist.

But talking about breaks, we did our longest ones at the okapi and the seal habitat with each atleast 20 mins. And thank we did that, because the first 5 or so at the okapi was just staring at its butt from a distance, but then it Put on a real show!
It started walking around, eating from some bushes, moving over to a hanging feeder and the best thing stretching to its full hight and beautifully standing in the Middle of its habitat, just about what fealt like a few meters away from me.
It was truly great and my appreciation for the okapis and the also very active bongos in the background rose imensly.

Another stand out Show was what i got from the pandas. Im honnest, i didnt really like pandas but damn are they cute. Its Hard to dislike them when i saw 2 young playing and cuddling in a hammock, while Another was Sitting happily eating in a pile of bamboo.
They were some of the first animals i saw at the zoo and when we came back before leaving they were all peacefully sleeping and just adorable.

My favourite habitat was the walkthrough habitat for snowy owls, northern hawk owls and great Grey owls.
Besides Being very pretty the owls wernt shy at all and it was one of the few habitats were my friend paid full attention.
In particular one great Grey owl was Sitting on a dead tree next to the path on eye level, posing for photos, while one snowyowl was sitting next to the path, half hiding under a fern and watching and reacting to us by head tilting and bobbing. The bravest though sat on the stones that marked the path and was activly watching me, and startet hissing the secound i turned my back to it, selfie With the owl still was nice though (it wasnt because of flash or anything, it was deactivated, probably a distaste for me squating next to it).

The thing i appreciated most though were the future building plans, as the apehouse was the only place were i fealt kinda bad for most of the animals, but the Zoo agrees and even had all the information for their plans With nice education boards. Right now they are building new habitats for their indian rhinos and some matching SEA animals like tapirs, as well as demolishing the old cat house and building newer, nicer and more natural habitats for their Big cats, but when these two big Projekts are done the apehouse will be the next Big step and they are allready collecting the funds to Do so

So yeah that was my visit in the Zoo Berlin and it was honestly amazing, especally in ways i least expected.
I cant wait to visit the Zoo again, probably next year when the big cat center will be finished and i hopefully will have enough time to also visit the aquarium and maybe even the tierpark

I just went to what was almost like a real-life Planet Zoo, Borås Zoo in Sweden.

It’s famous for its savannah which unusually mixes elephants with zebras, blesbok, eland, ostriches, guinea fowl and buffalo.

It’s fairly big but there aren’t that many enclosures or areas considering the size of the zoo.

There is the savannah and nearby enclosures for bongo, African wild dog and flamingo and a second, smaller savannah for cheetah and white rhino.

There’s the ape and monkey house with islands for chimpanzee, orang utan, gibbons and Sulawesi macaque.

A carnivore house has large moated enclosures for Amur tiger and lions.

Then a huge lake with grey and harbour seals and a paddock for wisent. The Nordic forest area has very large enclosures for elk (moose), lynx, brown bears and wolves.

Then there’s a sort of mix of playgrounds and farm animals where there are also enclosures for spotted hyena, wolverine, Humboldt penguin and red panda.

The only birds I saw were ostrich, greater flamingo, Humboldt penguin and guinea fowl. No aviaries at all that I remember. No reptile house but there were tortoises in the elephant house.

It feels like Planet Zoo because they are almost all large animals in large open topped enclosures with few animal houses and very few smaller species. And there aren’t that many species.

Although the Nordic species and domestics are so far missing most of the other species are either available or have a reasonable substitute in the game and I think this zoo could be relatively easily recreated.

Last month I was up in central Australia (specifically around Alice Springs and Uluru in the southern Northern Territory) for around two weeks and while the majority of my time up there was spent exploring the arid rangelands and looking for wild animals I did visit Alice Springs Desert Park, a native fauna park devoted to the wildlife and landscapes of the region. While small, it's really well put together, being split into 3 different sections based on some of the major habitats of central Australia: Woodlands, Sand Country and Desert Rivers (map below to show what I mean). A large portion of the zoo is walking trails taking you through the various habitats as well as a variety of aviaries showcasing the birdlife of the region, with only a few larger species scattered throughout.

NOfsRGq.jpg

First up is the largest section of the zoo, Woodlands. This also contains the majority of the larger species, namely the Dingo, Emu and Red Kangaroo. While the dingoes (obviously) and emus are non-contact the kangaroos have a walkthrough enclosure, although unfortunately on this occasion they were all hanging around near the back away from the trails. As well as many aviaries, the woodland section also leads off to amphitheatre which hosts a great free-flying bird show, but because it was a rather cool day (the coolest on the trip) I didn't feel like sitting out in the cold as I saw it last time I was here in 2016. Going off memory, the show features all sorts of Australian raptors such as Australian Hobby, Peregrine Falcon, Black Kite, Whistling Kite, Black-brested Buzzard (complete with a demonstration of their emu egg cracking behaviour) and Barn Owl as well as some other birds like Australian Magpie and Tawny Frogmouth.
pTObJvV.jpg

Entrance to the Woodlands section, showcasing some of the habitat

SKEaCEG.jpg

Dingo

cnJU76F.jpg

Emu up against the fence

f6WVFM1.jpg

Red Kangaroo buck lounging at the back of the walkthrough habitat

nAt4Gg0.jpg

0IfUvMI.jpg

The largest of the woodland aviaries

Leading on from the Woodlands is Sand Country which, while the most empty in terms of animals on display (just two aviaries), is the most prettiest area of the zoo I reckon. Just the beautiful deep red of the sand contrasting with the stark blue sky, as if right out of PZ's Desert Oceania map.
MeMdgcb.jpg

Entrance to Sand Country

gmbkxlt.jpg

Landscape example. Be warned, my camera lense was dirty this whole trip so if there's ever a sky in the picture you'll see little flecks

LNd8hW5.jpg

An example of a smaller aviary

Looping back around towards the entrance, the habitat changes dramatically and you enter Desert Rivers. This part of the zoo houses the other two large outdoor species, the Perentie and the Australian Bustard, as well as some more aviaries (including the largest in the park) and small aquariums filled with arid-adapted fish.
URXv3EX.jpg

The view entering Desert Rivers from Sand Country

StfRf3M.jpg

One of many paintings by well-known Alice Springs wildlife artist Kaye Kessing scattered around the park, educating visitors about the animals of the desert and the threats they face

hVoQG1B.jpg

The resident Perentie - this individual isn't awfully large for one of his kind, but it's still a damn big lizard

mrl9MLf.jpg

Freshwater fish aquaria alongside the viewing area of the Perentie

VXuzf11.jpg

One corner of the large wetland aviary, with two White-headed Stilts and an Australasian Grebe being visible

Kp0WzVm.jpg

Australian Bustard male

But I've been saving the best for last. Sitting between Woodlands and Sand Country is the park's Nocturnal House, which is not only by far my favourite part of the zoo but also one of my favourite areas of any zoo I have ever been too (which to be fair isn't too many). There is a great variety of small desert mammals kept here, the majority of which are highly threatened and extinct across the majority of former range - this includes the Mala or Rufous Hare-wallaby, with Alice Springs Desert Park being the only place in the world the species is on display in captivity. In addition to the nocturnal section of the building, it also contains a small diurnal section which acts as the park's reptile and insect house. It was just as great as I remembered, the only disappointment being that it appears the Numbat that was previously kept in the diurnal section appears to have since passed away.
T5SuN6q.jpg

Entrance to the nocturnal house, complete with another Kaye Kessing painting

G6mOqXS.jpg

Gidgee Skink

PBL524G.jpg

gsdubQE.jpg

4SOiaat.jpg

Some views from inside the nocturnal section - I really adore how it looks.

dMqZnAo.jpg

Greater Stick-nest Rat

6hf41TG.jpg

A Western Quoll, also known as a Chuditch - hey, that's me!

W0NO06R.jpg

Fat-tailed Dunnart

uFQV2XM.jpg

Mulga Snake

gJ0GFxK.jpg

Greater Bilby

Rra04Fh.jpg

Short-beaked Echidna

2IfG19Z.jpg

Mala

RfWEDww.jpg

Thorny Devils

Just for fun and to finish things up, here are photographs of the two species we have in Planet Zoo that I also saw in the wild while I was up there:
large.jpeg

Red Kangaroo mother and joey

large.jpeg

Dingo pair

Mr Chuditch, you just convinced me to visit australia one day. Most of the animals in the pictures are some i have never seen in a zoo, and i was to quite a few zoos in my life, eventhough they are all european.
Thats actually the beauty of visiting a zoo in a different country imo.
I sadly only have been to one far enough away to have local fauna we dont have, being the zoo in lissabon with their iberian lynx and hare, but it was still really cool and one of the best parts of that zoo.
But honestly i feel that if given the opportunity most of the regular posters here in the forums would gladly do a zoo worldtour, eventhough im already am spoiled by living in the ruhrpott, with some really great zoos in a 2 hour radius.

Hey you all, today i forced a bunch of my rare Zoo going friends (the last one was 2 years ago, the worst ofender 8 in a Zoo for last time) to join me in the Zoo Duisburg.
The Zoo Duisburg is in a very special place, because for the last 10 years the Zoo changed alot. Even now the Zoomap was heavily outdated, with many habitats having new inhabitants or Not excisting at all.
But thats a good thing. For example the the bison exhibit is gone now and in its place is the still very new expansion of the lionhabitat, only having been finished last year.
The view on the lions were amazing and we were super Lucky with them laying right in Front of the glas watching us. With only a meter inbetween you can really take in their size and threatening beauty.
But that wasnt the only Show they Put on. At one point we heard roars and ran over just in time to witness the lioness bonk the male lion.
Poor dude doesnt has it easy with his two wifes.

Another unexpected Highlight was in the australia Zone of the zoo.
I should mention, the zoo Duisburg has a huge australia focus and many rare speciesmen, like tasmanian devils, koalas, wombats and echidnas.
Right now they have demolished some old aviaries and are building a new walkthrough one with desert birds and yellowfooted rock wallabys (being their sixed macropod, sixed!!!) as well as having allready redecorated one for kookaburas, some more birds and a Small and germany first macropod that i sadly havent seen. The aviarie was so new, it didnt even have signage for the animals.
Anyways, with all thouse cool animals out of the way (eventhough watching the edchidna waddle around was also really fun), the Most fun i had was with the emus! They had Babys and one of the 2 addults kept charging at the people on the fence and making engine sounds, while the children were chirping in delight.
But the award for Most active and Not aggressive goes to the otters, asian shortclaws and giant to be exact.
Both were super fun, but in different ways. The giant ones put on a real show, swimming next to the glas and enjoying the attention of mostly the little kids, while the small otters just did all kinds of shenanigans, like 3 otters pressed their cheeks on a fallen tree and run like that across it, while two otters were chasing each other around another tree.

Another highlight were the siberian tigers, having 2 adorable kittens and a very photogenic mother, but Not as photogenic as one chad bactrian camel that just couldnt stop posing, winning the award for my best picture.
But when we are talking Not just about sexappeal but being a bro, i need to mention the kuneku pigs.
I offerd my friendship, he came to the gate, smiled at me and got scratches so good that he kneeled down and fell asleep. 10/10, would scratch again.

Lastly i want to talk about the spectacle bear.
They are living in a beautiful enclousure (really, look it up, very inspiring) and the First 2 times we came across them they were just sleeping, but the third time they put on a show! They were coming down to the water playing on the edge, before one went for a swim and the other followed it, walking through the water on its hindlegs.
Funfact! Did you know, that spectacle bears make highpitch buzzing sounds?
Kinda reminded me of a higher pitched pidgeon. Not what i expected at all.

But thats it, i had a great time and got really Lucky with alot of the animals, eventhough i sadly couldnt enter the animal houses because of corona. But that wasnt a problem, leaving half an hour before closing after 5 hours isnt what i call nothing to do.
A Lot has changed since my last visit 5 years ago and i cant wait to visit again next year, when the aviarie and the renovation of an old tropical house with a cuba theme will be finished.
I had a great Day and i can recommend the visit to anyone if they will ever be near duisburg! :)

I like looking at zoos' animal variety on their websites, so I just pulled up your Zoo Duisburg. Quite a few things I've never seen at any of the US zoos I've been to. Google Translate apparently decided that the Asian small-clawed otters' German name translates into "dwarf gods" lmao

I'll take it.

Last month I was up in central Australia (specifically around Alice Springs and Uluru in the southern Northern Territory) for around two weeks and while the majority of my time up there was spent exploring the arid rangelands and looking for wild animals I did visit Alice Springs Desert Park
Cool Zoo - never heard of it - great photos and gosh - how dry it is in some areas of Oz - thanks for sharing, G

Last month I was up in central Australia (specifically around Alice Springs and Uluru in the southern Northern Territory) for around two weeks and while the majority of my time up there was spent exploring the arid rangelands and looking for wild animals I did visit Alice Springs Desert Park, a native fauna park devoted to the wildlife and landscapes of the region….
[/SPOILER]
Great post - I was in Alice a few years ago for a conference and didn’t get round to going to the park (except that the conference dinner was there - we didn’t get to see much though). Now I really wish I had, and will certainly go next time I get a chance. LOVE the nocturnal house images - I really wish we could mimic this in-game, but we’d need a way to make indoor areas dark and something like exhibits for small mammals. Hopefully the devs see your post and see how cool it’s be to include these in-game!

I've been today in Skansen, the zoo in Stockholm, and I really really love it! They have a habitat with 5 Eurasian lynx (two adults and 3 babies) and all of them were super active, jumping, playing and eating. It's been an amazing experience for me and I've spent half an hour looking at them.

Then I got to the brown bears and there were like 5 or 6. I guess they might be the same family. It's a same that we can only have 2 adults in the game.

The funniest animals were the grey seals. They had emptied the water of the tank for cleaning, so the seals were chasing the keepers, probably wondering what were they doing and where their water was.

I enjoyed the three mooses too. Such a beautiful animal! Also, the wolves were pretty active running all time.

The mixed habitat for Eurasian bisons and wild boars was full of babies from both species. There were lots of piglets!

Unfortunately, I couldn't see the wolverine. I will upload some pics when I get home and get the pics from.my camera.

Those habitats seem massive compared to even the nicest zoos around here. The lushness in that lynx picture seems really next level.

I visited Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, South Carolina yesterday. It’s an hour and a half drive from me, but it’s still what I’d consider “my” zoo. I’ve been three times this year, I believe. It’s in a bit of a rough intermediary state right now, though, even though I think it’s a generally very nice zoo. The reptile house/aquarium is closed for a major overhaul. Their Malayan tapir passed away a few months ago so its enclosure is currently going unused. Their siamang and meerkat populations have dwindled over the years to the point where I believe they’ve only got two of each now.

And their small mammal area has been in a strange state of flux that I don’t really understand for some time now. I know these smaller species often have shorter lifespans and I can remember other several species in this area in the past like sand cats, fruit bats, and a crocodile monitor, but this seems like a lot of rapid changes from my perspective. The last time I was there their Ecuadorian squirrel monkeys were gone, with their enclosure taken by their two-toed sloths that normally share a space with their armadillo (who was alone in the old shared space). So I assumed they no longer had them, for better or worse. Yesterday there were new, younger looking squirrel monkeys (complete with a new sign referring to them as such, no subspecies designation), and the armadillo was nowhere to be seen… but weirdest of all they had their other monkeys all jumbled up in mixed groups. I’ve never seen that before, they had their golden lion tamarins, white faced sakis, and I believe one other monkey that I’m drawing a blank on paired off in mixed groups. It was obviously very intentional since the signs for them on the outside also reflected the pairings.

They’ve also had binturongs in this area for the past year and a half or so but in my four visits since they’ve been added they haven’t actually been out once. You can sure smell them, though.

Anyway overall it was a great trip as always. And even though I generally know what to expect from this zoo, I always walk away having a different favorite animal from each trip. Sometimes it’s the koalas, or meerkats, or fishing cats, or otters, but yesterday it was easily the squirrel monkeys. They were just so fun and energetic.

Really cool how you documented everything. Allmost like a mini zoo visit

Thanks for all the photos - great to see some of the details of walls etc. and the pics of foliage are great for me, since I am not at all familiar with coniferous forests but am planning to start a taiga zoo for the NA pack.

Really cool how you documented everything. Allmost like a mini zoo visit
Oh I missed quite a bit. I missed the educational material in the Serengeti, which includes a CCTV of the African Wild Dog exhibit, and various educational material in there. Including a Lion skull, and a diagram of the Portland metropolitain area, and a placard showing the average of Wild dog packs overlapping it.

Thanks for all the photos - great to see some of the details of walls etc. and the pics of foliage are great for me, since I am not at all familiar with coniferous forests but am planning to start a taiga zoo for the NA pack.
No problem! Truthfully, they don't have a great selection of coniferous trees right now. Or plants really. Especially not from the Pacific Northwest.

I like looking at zoos' animal variety on their websites, so I just pulled up your Zoo Duisburg. Quite a few things I've never seen at any of the US zoos I've been to. Google Translate apparently decided that the Asian small-clawed otters' German name translates into "dwarf gods" lmao

I'll take it.
Off topic, but the "dwarf gods" definately beat the "gluton" (google translate word for wolverine, as in german it is actually called what would be the literal translation of gluton in english. Brought quite some confusion when someone brought up they want a gluton in game :D )

I went to Helsinki zoo today again and I love when it's covered in snow. So beautiful!

IMG_20220106_110008_618.jpg

The Siberian tigers are mating, hopefully we'll get babies!
IMG_20220106_110302_908.jpg

I was disappointed because I couldn't see the snow leopard, but then I saw the Amur leopard. Normally the shy one is the Amur.
IMG_20220106_111353_079.jpg

The lioness, we are still waitng for a male here.
IMG_20220106_123207_310.jpg

Bearded vultures (I want them so badly in the game!)
IMG_20220106_125506_594.jpg

Pere David's deer
IMG_20220106_114012_252.jpg

Camels
IMG_20220106_122605_132.jpg

Can you see the reindeer?
reno.jpg

The popular horse
IMG_20220106_114955_610.jpg

Yak and kulans
yak.jpg

What a lovely thread!
I have been to many zoos, mostly in Germany. The saddest zoo I have ever been to was a "Safari park" in Mallorca, we visited it because the weather was awful and we were bored to death. If you ever happen to spend your holidays there - stay away! Hopefully it doesn't exist anymore. Many animals were kept in cages (I'm used to big naturally designed enclosures...) and some even showed signs of hospitalism :cry:
Never visited a zoo in southern europe again, although there are hopefully much better ones.

The most beautiful zoo I have ever seen is the famous Burgers' Zoo in Arnhem, Netherlands. They started to keep their animals in large, naturally designed habitats at a very early stage, and they did an impressive job creating the biomes of the world. I love the Ocean "Ecodisplay" - starts with shallow water, you walk down a reef to a massive aquarium. Desert is also very impressive!
https://www.burgerszoo.de/ecodisplays -> here you can take a look at their "ecodisplays". Often have them in mind when I'm playing Planet Zoo :D It's definitely worth a visit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom