Zac Antonaci Hints that Space Legs is Coming in 2019

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Zac Antonaci hinted that space legs DLC is coming in 2019:

"this does mark some exciting next steps and a continued commitment to the long term vision for the game and our community. "

When Wolvie asked about what comes next Zac responded:

"I hope you enjoy the next leg of the journey."

What that means in the simplest terms is that the team are actively working on the next major landmark which takes us into our next era for Elite. We aren’t going to be ready to talk about or announce any details for quite a while yet, it is early in the development and there is still a long way to go, but I can say that this is something that will be scheduled to release a considerable time after the final update in the Beyond series. We will have more details on exactly what this means and how the era will roll out after the release of Beyond – Chapter Four, but this does mark some exciting next steps and a continued commitment to the long term vision for the game and our community.

Thanks for the update Zac, it's good to hear some honest comments as things have been quiet for several months on the Focused Feedback. I'm a Beta Backer with Lifetime Expansion Pass and have always seen Elites development as a journey not a race, I'm looking forward to what comes next.

Thanks Wolvie, I hope you enjoy the next leg of the journey. :)

This is probably due to the renewed success of EVA (extravehicular activity) in the other indie space sim and potential competition from another long-in-development space sim.

Additional reasons that space legs is coming in 2019:

- Space legs has the most potential for growing the Elite fanbase by attracting many new players who prefer EVA.
- Space legs is part of the road map mentioned in Elite: Dangerous Newsletter #29.
- It's still one of the most requested features for ED.
- EVA has massive monetization potential for character cosmetics, clothing, ship interior decoration etc.
- In this developer video The Future of Elite: Dangerous from November 7, 2014, 9 out of 10 people said they're most looking forward to walking around in ships, space stations, planets etc.
- This video Commander Chronicles Lift-Off shows characters walking in a station hangar and inside a ship.

Braben confirmed that they still intend to add space legs to ED on 11 April 2017: "The future for Elite Dangerous is very exciting, including a whole raft of incredible features, yes including 'space legs' but so many more things too. Source.

Last edited:
I think space legs, but not because of Zac announcement. We have all seen GalNet articles about new devices, and we have date almost one month from now when there will be some sort of reveal. With Zac announcement finally released, I think they are devices related to space legs and this is gameplay we are getting instead of Carriers and ice planets. This also explains why Krait Mk II, which has been developed later than Chieftain lineup, has so detailed cockpit.

So Q4 will have some foundations for space legs, and then space legs within space ships will be part of premium package next year.

In addition Space Legs does not necessarily require more computing power than the current content does, where-as atmospheric worlds will.

I caught the subtle references as well, in addition to his comment about needed technology--which I took to imply tech that would allow for non zero-G ambulation. Elite Feet is definitely coming, sooner or later. I just hope they do it right.

It makes sense.

Space legs would definitely be a candidate for what Zac was talking about.

Yes combined with Torc, it almost seems like Frontier were wanting to announce something but instead dropped the Galnet teasers, ie they are prototyping atm and currently it's a toss up between the neck mounted and the wrist mounted variant.

It is just speculation!

Last edited:
Zac Antonaci hinted that space legs DLC is coming in 2019.

As far as I see he hints that at least something is coming in 2019, so actually he only denies the rumours saying the game is dead.

Postponement of ice worlds improvement rather makes me expect it might be atmospheric landings, but that is of course nothing more than speculation.

Zac Antonaci hinted that space legs DLC is coming in 2019:

"this does mark some exciting next steps and a continued commitment to the long term vision for the game and our community. "

When Wolvie asked about what comes next Zac responded:

"I hope you enjoy the next leg of the journey."

This is probably due to the renewed success of EVA (extravehicular activity) in the other indie space sim and potential competition from another long-in-development space sim.

Additional reasons that space legs is coming in 2019:

- Space legs has the most potential for growing the Elite fanbase by attracting many new players who prefer EVA.
- Space legs is part of the road map mentioned in Elite: Dangerous Newsletter #29.
- It's still one of the most requested features for ED.
- EVA has massive monetization potential for character cosmetics, clothing, ship interior decoration etc.
- In this developer video The Future of Elite: Dangerous from November 7, 2014, 9 out of 10 people said they're most looking forward to walking around in ships, space stations, planets etc.
- This video Commander Chronicles Lift-Off shows characters walking in a station hangar and inside a ship.

Braben confirmed that they still intend to add space legs to ED on 11 April 2017: "The future for Elite Dangerous is very exciting, including a whole raft of incredible features, yes including 'space legs' but so many more things too. Source.

In response to a challenge about that "leg of the journey" comment in Reddit, he said: "It's a good job everyone knows not to read too much into things that I write."

Freudian slip, or not? It will be interesting to find out.

Personally, OP, I believe you are right .... Legs would make more of an impact than atmospheric planets at this stage. It's about getting new bums on seats to the game, or rather, .... well, you know ;)

It makes sense.

Space legs would definitely be a candidate for what Zac was talking about.

Yes combined with Torc, it almost seems like Frontier were wanting to announce something but instead dropped the Galnet teasers, ie they are prototyping atm and currently it's a toss up between the neck mounted and the wrist mounted variant.

It is just speculation!

And this, yes.

That was an hint for space legs but he never refer to a 2019 release...
With one year and 100 employees they've produced Beyond. So I don't think there is any chance that the "new era premium " update ( could be space legs) they've just started to work on will ever get released in 2019. It took them 2 years to produce horizons so... Plus the words used by Zac : "We aren’t going to be ready to talk about or announce any details for quite a while yet" " still a long way to go" " a considerable time after the final "update in the Beyond series" Lots of red flags there..."

Forget about 2019...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom