Guide / Tutorial Ziljan's Guide to Evading Gankers in Open (or nefarious alts in PG):

You actually succeeded in making me roll my eyes for real with that last bit, my friend.

Well that explains it. You were looking backwards at your brain instead of the screen. I mean that as a hint not an insult. There are probably a lot of things you can teach me. But apparently, there are a lot of things I could teach you too. Too bad we're on opposite sides of the fence.

Well that explains it. You were looking backwards at your brain instead of the screen. I mean that as a hint not an insult. There are probably a lot of things you can teach me. But apparently, there are a lot of things I could teach you too. Too bad we're on opposite sides of the fence.

You're still getting extra credit for that awesome Last of the Mohicans comeback yesterday.

Fantastic write-up!

My only fear is that the ones who need it the most won't deign to read it...

To be fair, the people who most need this kind of advice aren't on the forums at all. Why do you think DWII had like 5k signups in the final week, i.e. after announcements started popping up on Reddit and the gaming news sites? Beyond crossposting stuff like this to Reddit, I'm not sure there's much to be done about that though.

Exceptional work, sir. Bookmarked for future posting as the definitive guide to surviving a gank. /standingovation

To be fair, the people who most need this kind of advice aren't on the forums at all. Why do you think DWII had like 5k signups in the final week, i.e. after announcements started popping up on Reddit and the gaming news sites? Beyond crossposting stuff like this to Reddit, I'm not sure there's much to be done about that though.

Until they integrate a slightly condensed version of this into some form of start-game training missions, all his hard work is going to only benefit a few, unfortunately.

I don't mean this at all sarcastically, it's very thorough and I do wish there was some opposition on PS4.

Last edited:
So prismatics are recommended over bi-wave against gankers?

Not to speak for OP, but as a ganker...

Yeah probably better for you. I actually run biweaves, because they weigh less and draw much less power - so I can undersize my powerplant. It's a significant jump advantage (almost 10%) for a conda weighted down with weapons and such.

But I've still got 1776 MJ raw and will notice if another ganker is trying to get me long before we actually engage - I haven't had a single shot even fired at me yet at DG2.

For explorers running smaller ships & shields, prismatics are generally better.

Never run a biweave if your aim is to escape. Always A rated, or prismatics if unlocked, for flight.

Biweave has (debatable) advantage that in a long dogfight the recharge might end up giving more MJ than prismatics/A rated, and the (not debatable) advantages of being lighter and less power hungry than prismatic.

Last edited:
So prismatics are recommended over bi-wave against gankers?

Prismatics are better if you are in a ship that cannot dodge, cannot get out of range, and also when you are catching fire from multiple assailants. There is about a 6 second delay from the last time you were shot before the biweave regen kicks in, so you need to have a ship that can dodge, flank, or get out of weapon range in order for the biweave benefit to even begin to kick in. I recommend against biweaves unless you have an extremely fast ship, or you are a very good pilot and quite good at normal-space evasion techniques.

If you don't have access to prismatics yet, then you can use a size larger of A-rated shield to get the same MJ.

Last edited:
You misunderstand - I'm saying he does consider them a challenge, rather than the ganking dark side they'd have him join. So why would he join them and gank people who are NO challenge when he can fight them instead?

Why settle for hamburger when you can have steak? ;)

Fair. I misunderstood.

I like both steak and hamburgers, but I'm a glutton at heart.

That 'set next system on route to a key bind' is gold. I've gotten out from under Potter in open before, but only something like 15 Ly as I was picking from the list. My Asp could have gone much further. I'm going to set that up tonight.

That 'set next system on route to a key bind' is gold. I've gotten out from under Potter in open before, but only something like 15 Ly as I was picking from the list. My Asp could have gone much further. I'm going to set that up tonight.

It's useful for other ways too, for instance can be used to quickly deselect opponent if running gimbals and opponent uses chaff, and a few other odds and ends that escape me right now. It's useful enough I bind it, despite the limitations of using a gamepad on PS4 where bindings are premium space.

Top Bottom