Elite / Frontier Every Version of Elite

OK, hello all, its been a wee while. Thanks for re-opening my thread. As you all know, I pride myself in having 26 versions of Elite. Just when I thought there were no more to be found, what pops up in my ebay search list... but this;
Needless to say that was a 'buy it now'
16f70bd910.jpeg

So... does this constitute number 27? I think it does.

This also give mes an excuse to get my 464 online, and give it a go, to see if its any different from the big box versions.

Last edited:
Thread reopened and good to go. :)

...and that is really a deed of honor, and culturally and historically meaningful decision.

Hopefully these forums won't get completely shut down by the site administration.

If volunteer mods are needed to keep these forums running in the future, I happily volunteer myself.

OK, hello all, its been a wee while. Thanks for re-opening my thread. As you all know, I pride myself in having 26 versions of Elite. Just when I thought there were no more to be found, what pops up in my ebay search list... but this;
Needless to say that was a 'buy it now'
https://i.imgsafe.org/16/16f70bd910.jpeg

So... does this constitute number 27? I think it does.

This also give mes an excuse to get my 464 online, and give it a go, to see if its any different from the big box versions.

Sadly that's one issue of Amstrad Action I missed out on...

Hiya,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some more information on this item...

My confusion is that the game says 'firebird' on it but the box has 'rainbird' on it.. why is that? Is it the same game and cover or do i have a game with a different cover?

Also i was wondering how much it maybe worth or best price to sell it at? Im thinking of putting it on my online shop but i need more info about it...im not really into games but i love vintage stuff.

I would be grateful of any information and if anyone wants to take it off my hands i will also be grateful of that too!

Iv included photos (i think, i tried)

TABITHA IVY

I thought I'd bring this thread back to life! :)

Does anyone have a definitive list of every official version of Elite which was released?

I have managed to collect 43 so far and I think there's 5 more plus the unofficial Sam Coupé release and the Italian C64 tape. Of those 5, four are the foreign language versions of NES Elite which I cant be bothered to track down :D

The versions I have are:

Acornsoft Disk
Acornsoft Cassette
Acornsoft 6502 / Master
Acornsoft Electron
Acornsoft 6502 Second Processor

Superior Master Compact
Superior Disk
Superior BBC Cassette
Superior Electron Casette

Amiga Firebird
Amiga Rainbird
Amiga Elite Plus
Atari ST Firebird
Atari ST Rainbird

C64 Disk
C64/128
C64/128 alternate
C64 Cassette

Amstrad CPC Disk
Amstrad CPC Cassette
French CPC Elite
Schneider CPC
Amstrad Action Tape

ArcElite
Acorn User ArcElite

Apple II
Spectrum 48K Cassette
Spectrum 48/128
Einstein

MSX Cassette
MSX Floppy 3.5

IBM / Tandy DOS Firebird 5.25
IBM PC DOS Firebird 5.25
IBM PC DOS Rainbird 3.5
IBM PC DOS Rainbird 5.25

Elite Plus CD-ROM
PC Elite Plus budget
UK PC Elite Plus big box Rainbird 5.25
UK PC Elite Plus big box Rainbird 3.5
US PC Elite Plus big box
NEC PC-9801 Elite Plus 3.5
NEC PC-9801 Elite Plus 5.25
NES Elite UK

Leroy Help book

Last edited:
There are two different versions of the c64 (non-128) release. With and without music on the title screen. (The version with title screen music also has a faster version of the Blue Danube). I'm not sure how or when the updated version was released though. I had it in a compilation, but maybe it never had a formal solo release.

Just giving this fascinating thread a little bump... Has anyone got in their possession a copy of Elite on the Commodore 64 that loads with a (C) Acornsoft 1985 message rather than (C) D. Braben & I. Bell 1985? I've been told that it does exist, but I've never come across it.

Just giving this fascinating thread a little bump... Has anyone got in their possession a copy of Elite on the Commodore 64 that loads with a (C) Acornsoft 1985 message rather than (C) D. Braben & I. Bell 1985? I've been told that it does exist, but I've never come across it.
Actually, it's the copyright message on the back of the original C64 UK box that I am interested in, not an in-game message. So, if anyone has a UK boxed C64 version, is it missing the 'Elite is a Trade Mark of Acornsoft Ltd. © Acornsoft 1984. © BT 1985’? If so, it would be great if someone could post here or send me a photo? One way you can tell it is the UK release is the barcode sticker starts with 5012439... thanks! :)

OK, I will also post all the pics, as I have complete and working boxed editions for all of the following (in no particular order) ;

1. Sinclair Spectrum 48k - Tape - Red Lenslock Edition
  2. Amstrad CPC - Tape
  3. Commodore 64 - Tape
  4. Atari ST/STE Rainbird Edition - 3.5 Disk
  5. Commodore Amiga Rainbird Edition - 3.5 Disk
  6. Tatung Einstein - 3inch Disk
  7. BBC Master 128k With 6502 Second Co-Processor - 5.25 Disk Acornsoft
  8. IBM PC/Tandy 512k - 5.25 Disk
  9. Sinclair Spectrum 48 OPUS Edition - 3.5 Disk
  10. Pocket PC/iPAQ - CD
  11. Apple II - 5.25 Disk
  12. NES - Cartridge
  13. Atari ST - 3.5 Disk - Firebird Edition
  14. Sinclair Spectrum 48k - Tape - Black Lenslock Edition
  15. Amstrad CPC - 3inch Disk
  16. Commodore 64 - 5.25 Disk
  17. BBC Model B - 5.25 Disk - Acornsoft Edition
  18. Acorn Electron - Tape
  19. MSX - 3.5 Disk
  20. Commodore Amiga - 3.5 Disk - Firebird Edition
  21. Acorn Archimedes - 3.5 Disk - Hybrid Edition
  22. BBC Master Compact - 3.5 Disk - Acornsoft Edition
  23. BBC Model B - Tape - Acornsoft Edition
  24. Acorn Electron - Tape - Acornsoft Edition
  25. Commodore Amiga - 3.5 Disk - Elite Plus
  26. IBM PC VGA - 3.5 Disk - Elite Plus

Phew... :D

AllMyElites_zps293fa4c2.jpg

If you want to see any photos of a particular version/edition, let me know, and I will post it up.
Well, that's... dedication. :D

Well done for completing your set. Now to reach Elite in each of them 😈😂
Hah, yeah, that’d take a lifetime I reckon! I did manage to become Elite on the beeb back in the late 80s and again on the Amiga in the early 90s but I haven’t done so recently. I have a current slow-time play through on the go on second coprocessor-bbc elite where I’m Dangerous, but the kill count shows I have a long way to go to become deadly.

Source: https://youtu.be/VxVEr1Pn9Zk?si=N3ncUiB8V8ktxKbd

Top Bottom