Game Discussions New Mechwarrior game in 2024.

From the creators of Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries, a new singleplayer co-op game is schedual to be released in 2024.
https://www.pcgamer.com/a-new-mechwarrior-game-is-coming-in-2024/

Glad to see they managed to squiz in another game, before their Licence runs out in 2025.

MC3.jpg

Last edited:
The question is whether a squeezed-in game is any good and what happens when the license runs out - does support and updates stop too then?
I think it's going to be a new story using MW5:M assets. They said on podcast they might squeez in another DLC for it, befor time runs out. Also not sure if Microsoft have any plans for Mechwarrior games, so they might extend licence to Piranha Games.
Also starting from scratch on Unreal Engine 5 with a new studio might be a good choice too, since Piranha Games is still using Unreal Engine 4, and the world they made for MW5:M is a bit lackluster, so might need a new approach here to show the whole beauty of Mech Wars and Unreal Engine 5, but it might be somewhere in 5 year range no sooner.

They also said on podcast that MechWarrior Online is pretty much dead " What we erned in few weeks on the release, takes a whole year to earn now" - they also ssaid other companies might have shut down MechWarrior:Online by now, since it's poor earning.

So this is kind of a transition period now, where Mechwarrior:Online, Battletech, and MechWarrior 5 - could all shut down future developments leaving fans with out any Mecha games in the future. The ball is in Microsoft hands, lets see what they will do after 2025.

Last edited:
On one hand, I love the current batch of assets coming from MW5 and MWO, their lead 3D artist absolutely redefined what Battletech should look like and his 'mech models should be the new canon. Seeing them in action in UE5 should be epic.
On the other hand, Piranha Games and Russ did produce sub-par incarnations of the series in terms of gameplay, with poor to non-existent product support, laughable and predatory marketing tactics ("do you want to buy a mech pack"). MWO failed because promised features never materialized, map selection stagnated for many years (and was very limited), gameplay was very limited, and PGI actively killed competitive game modes. MW5 was a missed opportunity.
In the last years the best game in that universe was HBS Battletech, using PGI's 3D assets in a turn based game that was the best of both worlds.

I'm not sure MS are even aware they got that license back into their lap, my intuition is they'll sleep on it like so many other good things they buried forever (Crimson Skies !!!).

Interesting, I hope it will be any good. While I did like Mechwarrior 5 alot, even the storyline, it was a bit too light on the management part of running a Mechwarrior mercenary company (yes, there are mods that fix that, but still).

A teaser is out:

From other sources, the game won't be an Open World like MW5: Mercs, but they are upgrading game engine to UE5.

Steam Page is already up too:

Official trailer of MW5: Clans. The single-player and up to 5 player co-op game uses Unreal Engine 5.

Well, i hope they can deliver (no, i really dont care about npc with realistic looking faces during briefings, but i do care about the gfx during gameplay)
I have played and still play from time to time MW5 and the GFX they use is quite cringey (UE4) - even with everything maxed out.
Nonetheless, i still love MW5

I have played and still play from time to time MW5 and the GFX they use is quite cringey (UE4) - even with everything maxed out.
Mods make it much better ;) I use VonBiomes, Xenopax Art, and Ultra Weather Visuals. UE4 can do pretty things too :)

The UE5 version looks interesting so far with a dedicated UI for Clan 'mechs, like in MWO actually. I hope there will still be a career mercenary mode as it's my favorite way of playing these games.

Top Bottom