Space Engine 0.93

Apologies if this has been posted before, but has anyone had a play with this?

What a great program, although at first I had some problems running it in (1 fps) a little tweaking with the config and I was soon zooming around the universe at Warp Stupid™

http://www.youtube.com/embed/xpnucN12uBQ

I particularly like the blur and star field effect, it's great just to pick a distant star or galaxy and press the G button to travel there. It's under 400mb download and well worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Tack on some trading, add some ships model, mix in a little combat & missions and your done.

The perfect tribute to elite?

Nice. Tack on some trading, add some ships model, mix in a little combat & missions and your done.

The perfect tribute to elite?

WOW, that makes Elite look like a primitive cave painting being compared with the works of Shakespeare.

If that was engineered into a game I wonder if we would all soon forget to visit the cave?

Space Engine

I stumbled upon this today

http://en.spaceengine.org/

SpaceEngine - is a freeware space simulation software that lets you explore the universe in three dimensions, starting from planet Earth to the most distant galaxies. Areas of the known universe are represented using actual astronomical data, while regions uncharted by astronomy are generated procedurally. Millions of galaxies, trillions of stars, countless planets - all available for exploration.

Not tried it yet as it's still downloading and I need to go to bed but it looks very nice, will give a whirl tomorrow. Should be enjoyable for those that enjoyed lovely views in previous elite games.

A lot here on these forums know this bit of software, it's great. Good to see it bumped here with your thread Kingston. :cool:

Yes, Space Engine is indeed an amazing piece of software. You are in for a treat! :smilie:

That it's programmed by one single individual on his free time makes it even more impressive. Now just imagine what FD with all their manpower and resources has in store for us! :cool:

SpaceEngine 0.9.7.1

It's probably been mentioned a long time ago, but I can't find another thread anywhere so...

SpaceEngine has been updated to 0.9.7.1 and the author has started a crowd-funding drive.

Worth checking out

Thanks for posting this Kerrash. I had forgotten about it. It looks nice.

When viewing the new vid I thought about the thin visible orbits in star systems. It would be nice, at least for an Explorer in E: D to have the ability to toggle orbits. At least in FSD mode. To assist in the navigation.

Everything in Space Engine is possible in Elite Dangerous. They just didn't add the planetary gameplay and close-up surface details yet.

Top Bottom