Summer 2024 DLC Speculation

I'm actually (relatively) excited for animal encounters, if for no other reason than it gives us at least one guest-animal interaction. I'd still like to know why we couldn't have, I don't know, animals following guests along glass walls and such like they do in real zoos. Presumably they have discovered a way to make it so an animation is triggered by the presence of an animal and a guest in proximity, so they could do something like that without even adding new animations. Even something like a gorilla sitting by the glass, watching people as they watch it would be neat.
Isnt that exactly what the lama spitting thingy is? Would indeed be cool to get some more of that sort of thing

Isnt that exactly what the lama spitting thingy is? Would indeed be cool to get some more of that sort of thing
Oh yeah, I forgot that one existed. Still, that's more of a gimmick and not something that happens overly frequently IRL. Having worked closely with llamas for over a year, in a setting where they were being hand-fed by guests every day, I only ever saw it happen if people were deliberately teasing them. I couldn't speak to the frequency of camel-related spit assaults in a zoo setting, though.

Honestly if our final DLC is not a Planet Zoo World Tour type thing, I'm actually betting on a Savannah Pack.
  • Baboon.
  • Secretarybird.
  • Serval.
  • Honey badger.
  • Blackbuck.
  • Spurred tortoise.
  • Rhea.
  • Probably something very unexpected for the WTE (but still not a flying bird).
While I'd slightly prefer Americas/South America/Latin America, I think this is a very solid pack. I'd personally exchange the secretary for a pelican or even a grey-crowned crane or guineafowl, but I think most of these animals are highly demanded and overall it's one of the better line-ups we received.

Blackbuck or nilgai and dik dik would be neat to have, but the excessive amount of ungulates this last year has been significantly lowered my desire for them
I don't tend to view animals as groups. IMO it limits the scope of realism for a non-existant concept of 'balance'. Ungulates represent the majority of large mammals in zoo collections, so it follows they should dominate the game roster. That isn't to say there aren't some I can live without - I certainly wasn't clamouring for a second wildebeest or wisent - but to expect Frontier not to add them because we have so many already isn't really logical (they must be pretty easy to churn out by now besides).

New World monkeys are the exception to the rule for me, simply because, like ungulates, most zoos tend to have more than one species from that group, and the game currently has just the capuchin.

While I'd slightly prefer Americas/South America/Latin America, I think this is a very solid pack. I'd personally exchange the secretary for a pelican or even a grey-crowned crane or guineafowl, but I think most of these animals are highly demanded and overall it's one of the better line-ups we received.
As I said, it wasn't really about what I personally wanted, but rather what makes sense from Frontier's standpoint. The pelican could be a good substitute for the secretarybird and arguably easier to make (though it might need some diving animations, possibly) but I still think if it came down to it they'd do the secretarybird over the crane assuming the rest of the pack was pretty simple like I suggested, due to its vaunted place on the meta wishlist (think of like the porcupine in the Arid Pack). While the flamingo or one of the ratites would probably be a fine base for the secretarybird, in terms of actual animations I have to assume it would require a lot more new ones than any of the other species I listed, unless they half-ass it.

I went to the Cleland Wildlife park today, it was pretty good, got to feed pellets to quite a few species, spent a good few hours there.

My favourite was the Tammar wallabies. Even though they're so small, they didn't seem as hesitant as the other wallabies, and when I fed them they put their claws on my fingers and held on tightly, it was pretty cute.

The waterfowl were pretty happy with pellets. Magpie geese kept their distance, but were still interested in ones on the ground. Cape barren goose was the most casual, no hesitating, no rush. Black swan struggled a bit with getting the pellets in its mouth. The Australian wood ducks and Pacific Black ducks seemed to have a bit of an individual pecking order between them, with no clear species bias.

I don't tend to view animals as groups. IMO it limits the scope of realism for a non-existant concept of 'balance'. Ungulates represent the majority of large mammals in zoo collections, so it follows they should dominate the game roster. That isn't to say there aren't some I can live without - I certainly wasn't clamouring for a second wildebeest or wisent - but to expect Frontier not to add them because we have so many already isn't really logical (they must be pretty easy to churn out by now besides).

New World monkeys are the exception to the rule for me, simply because, like ungulates, most zoos tend to have more than one species from that group, and the game currently has just the capuchin.
Yeah, variety for a group that is common in zoos is good. I just dont subscribe to the idea to only give this variety to some select animal groups only while other groups, that are even bigger and similary ubiquitous in zoos are largely or completely abscent. Having a whole bunch of african antelopes but only a single south american monkey and no baboon at all, or having nearly every single bear species while we dont have a single duck.

plI'd pay 12 bucks for just a waterbuck and a blackbuck if they tried to sell it to me.
I still think selling single or set of clone animals would be a great business strategy
This is the main reason Im against the ungulate invasion they should definitely definitely been a majority of the roster since that is what most zoos have but not at the cost of everything else having 1 or 2 per pack is expected and fine but when they are taking more than half the pack that is the problem we still dont have anywhere near enough monkeys, waterfowl or other common zoo animals.

Yeah, variety for a group that is common in zoos is good. I just dont subscribe to the idea to only give this variety to some select animal groups only while other groups, that are even bigger and similary ubiquitous in zoos are largely or completely abscent. Having a whole bunch of african antelopes but only a single south american monkey and no baboon at all, or having nearly every single bear species while we dont have a single duck.
yep this is definitely a problem even within ungulates the diversity is surprisingly lacking especially when it comes to anything that isnt an african antelope we dont have any north or south american deer yet we have the gemsbok, addax and the scimitar oryx

Birds and monkeys aside which group do yall think could use some more additions the best?

Personally id really like so see some love given to musteliods, coati is a nobrainer but id really like to see something more classic marten or weasle like, like the yellow throated marten for example.
Rodents aswell, given that they are the biggers group of mammals having only 4 members in game feels a little to few. Admittedly the vast majority of them are to small to reasonably work as habitat animals, but there are still a few that would work well. NA and brazilian porcupine would be cool and the alpine marmot is something id personally like love. Indian giant squirrel and luzon cloud rat would also add something very unique to the game

Birds and monkeys aside which group do yall think could use some more additions the best?

Personally id really like so see some love given to musteliods, coati is a nobrainer but id really like to see something more classic marten or weasle like, like the yellow throated marten for example.
Rodents aswell, given that they are the biggers group of mammals having only 4 members in game feels a little to few. Admittedly the vast majority of them are to small to reasonably work as habitat animals, but there are still a few that would work well. NA and brazilian porcupine would be cool and the alpine marmot is something id personally like love. Indian giant squirrel and luzon cloud rat would also add something very unique to the game
Speaking of mustelids I would still love to see Sea Otter in the game. Even tho we have two otters already Sea Otter brings unique-ness among them in behavior, habitat, size and the shape.

1000012018.jpg

Other than Sea Otter, Pine Marten would also be very nice addition. Europe roster could use smaller arboreal species.

For rodents I agree with you about North American Porcupine and Alpine Marmot.

I would add either Siberian or Humboldt's (or even Chinese Red and White) flying squirrel for Walkthrough Exhibits. I think it would be fun

Last edited:
I have a jeep ride and am VERY happy with it - (It's essentially a safari ride through a recreation of Disney's The Lion King - Pride Rock for lions, a HUGE grassland exhibit for the herbivores - the Pridelands, Elephant Graveyard for hyenas, a mock gorge littered with wildebeest signs recreating the stampede, and finally a jungle with warthogs and meerkats who surprisingly can co-exist very well).
Anyway, I love it but GOOD GRIEF, you would think 20 years after Zoo Tycoon 2, there'd a fix or option to not have animals STAND ON THE TRACKS FOR ETERNITY AND CLOG UP THE LINE!!!
The funny thing is that in ZT2, animals are coded to have behaviour where they get off the trackways when necessary

I mean Taxon Pack would perhaps be a good Idea for the Forum members. I personally would Love Kind of a Antelope animal pack but except for a new mechanism like flying birds (which probably will Not happen within this game) I See such specific Packs Happening very unlikely. I am pretty Sure that Mixed Packs are better for the General audience regarding marketing aspects.
A Bovid Animal Pack would actually slap hard I'm not gonna lie:
  • Greater Kudu
  • Nilgai
  • Gerenuk
  • Blackbuck
  • Muskox
  • Impala
  • Yellow-Backed Duiker
  • Brown-Headed Cowbird (walkthrough exhibit)

yep this is definitely a problem even within ungulates the diversity is surprisingly lacking especially when it comes to anything that isnt an african antelope we dont have any north or south american deer yet we have the gemsbok, addax and the scimitar oryx
The Moose is a deer isn’t it?

I mean the animals encounters are not particullary game changing, but to be fair what reasonably would be?
As far as free updates goes its definetly one of the bigger ones weve seen in quite a while together with the gift shops.
Imo the last 2 updates been really great, especially since almost everything weve seen in the last 1 or 2 years has been mostly minor stuff.
The bigger ones like the diorama modes and cinematic tools are cool but its nothing im getting much use out of.
Scaling objects would be game changing, at least from a building perspective. But I think it's pretty clear that's not going to happen.

Management side - first person zoo keeper mode, but also not going to happen.

I don't even think marine animals or birds would be game changing. You'd still get them from a trade center, design a habitat for them and put them in that habitat the way you would any animal now. It definitely adds a new depth to the roster, but still not what I'd call game changing.

Top Bottom