Tales From the Rim: Rimworld Adventures

I get New England horror vibes from "Anomaly", yet the background lore fits perfectly to the existing Rimworld settings - all it needed was a twist to the ominous. With the looming all-mighty archeotech enities anything is possible.
The colony is under siege. I do not dare to let the kids roam unrestricted, the dead are rising where they fell. Repent! The end is nigh!
Reminds me of the "fun" you can have in Dwarf Fortress with necromancers turning the buried into shambling horrors. Rimworld seems like a "lite" version of the "fun".
Is losing fun? In the Rimworld it depends. If it's epic or particularly hilarious I won't object.

I love the new flamethrower. Makes appropriate sound, too. Gone are the days of missed pin-point attacks with the old gun that fired a projectile, this new one streams fire like some of the mechs do iirc. And it's a super useful tool in combat and outside combat.
Peeps can crawl now. It looks heart-rendingly pitiful. Kastamos flamed one of the new ghoul types and downed it. The ghoul tried to crawl into the pond to extinguish, but a couple flamer bursts later it just expired.
Had a pregnant peep crawl to the hospital bed - this was the first time I saw it. They do it when not knocked out but inable to walk. Now, I know you all want to experiment now with the lower limb replacements, right?
I have discovered all basic anomalies now, I'll refrain escalating. Maybe I'll even move to a new map - I don't mind for stone types anymore. I just use concrete, the pinnacle of progress.

The hordes of shamblers and an innocent trade caravan sanswiched between. And the undead dont care for toxicandy. A horrible massacre in a dark nightly thunderstorm. The odd flash briefly illuminated the eerie scene. Twas a real piece of flamethrower work. Did I mention that I love that thing? I managed to rescue the caravan leader.
Nobled two peeps, advanced to heavy mechtech and skyrocketed my wealth. Now I'm racing for the Rimatomics punisher gun.

It's been 3 or more long-time playthroughs wil my antitox gene build. It's been successful, but not hilariously overpowered. Visitors tend to arrive with gasmasks taking much of the fun out. I think you're better off going with normal guys and gasmasks or just take the debuff with wasters. Also the announced pollution events with webthings don't trigger on a polluted map. I think it triggers when you actively pollute your map?
I feel like a change of sights. A new geneline maybe? Seaside manor? Maniac Mansion? Shadow over Innsmouth? I toyed with the idea of barbecue fetish rancher rangers. Had a lot of that in RDR2 though. Throw a couple mustangs into pen, let multiply then sell at nearest town. Nah, wide open ranches - it's like magnet for raids, these places are the first to fall.
Conservatoire des Arts maybe. Et metiers. You like marble? Everyone likes marble. And the brecchia. It's a solid foundation to build on. A very pretty foundation. So we go from talented builders and artists. Then discover more science. Then forbidden science. A marble temple of science. But deep down in the mountain - beneath the marble double doors - unspeakable ... things are being made and used. Impossible things, impossible to the normal reality. But what really is "normal reality" to aspiring artists who dabble in more dangerous trades?

All we have is each other. Literally. New start: Hidden Oasis, new geneline - they are basically the same, but different, lol. (Toximmunity 50% becasue they venerate the cobra) It's a close knit community crash landed oin a lovely desert valley. It has a lovely lake with rich soil around, there is marble, BB and Travis a brothers, Vera is BB's fiancee (now wife) and Knight put her foot into the door of the escape capsule they lauched off from the breaking ship. I took hours to set up this new start, good lord.

They are "neo-tantrist" whatever that means, but it's slightly far eastern buddhism inspired, a bit of assassine sect, free love, unlimited spouses for everyone. The peeps are artistically skilled (one already crafted 2 masterworks, bringing any room to impressive already) and wield some better gear than normally - especially Knight.

They landed without any silver, wood and meds. Steel was lower, too, I think. No knife, no single action rifle. Good thing I edited them beforehand. Wood I cheated in, filled steel to full stack but left them with no money and meds.
All they had was each other. And they took it literally: One day in, they cross-romanced. Travis took a while to fully get free love allotment because BB had the fiancee advantage.
They are up to 3 medium meds and 12 herbal now, finished the Grand Hall near the lake shore (lovely) the monolith is nearby and we're up for a slow decent into insanity, murder, sectarian love and possibly incest, but it's gonna be in style, I guess.

Two babies born later - last quadrum of the 1st year:
The tendency to romance everyone and marry each other is eminent. This community is easy to "familiarize". Even the podcrashed recruit is now vying for marriage already. I may need to research the fertility tech early.
Running out of wood and stones here. Tree sowing is coming up next. I'm not too happy with the Great Hall - I smacked the kitchen into one edge and walled off half of the rest when the cold snap came in fall - one heater just wasn't enough. This needs restructuring. Technically winter should have average temp of 2°C and allow some plant growth. I'm letting the healroots get sown - one harvest was brought in, easing the med situation. I have opted for a walled fortification with funnel. 3 melee dudes will greet intruders while not in too much fire lanes, if ever.

Monolith has to wait some time. I imagine that ideas in such small close-knit communities can indeed develop into sect-like structures. It's a collectivist community so there is likely more pressure to comply to group ideas. I think the corruptive influence of the void might lead to major aberrations of the norm.

I've never seen anything like it. They maxed all their relations to each other. Free love and limitless spouses is the floodgate to the Love Boat. They even go to bed at the same time (OK that was coincidence, but it weirded me out).
The crew hungered for justice. So much so it gave them unhappy thoughts (not that it'd matter with all that romantique overload) and the next raids were met with swift executions of the guilty.
Adam, the colony servant, was also executed - a matter of mercy considering his broken spine and slow movement. This had no impact on morale, it needs to be guilty prisoners or at least prisoners I understand. Alas, the colony had a thoughtful fine meal in rememberance to Adam. No good candidates worthy of servitude showed up. Some beggars asked for 2/3 of the cash - the gall.
A distress call was answered with a single colonist dispatched, just to see if early response would have a different scenario (it doesn't). Here it'd be great if early response actually led to a bigger scale battle where your arrival can tip the balance.

A slow playthrough. They are chugging along mainly just pushing tech, equipment and mechanitor unlocks. Rimatomics has been unlocked and I am tempted to unlock the monolith.
Can't find use for the toxbomb launcher, it too slow firing. EMP launcher is nice ranged option. Gotta try smoke next since I have 3 melee peeps. So far nothing silly in rewards spawned, yet the colony has exceeded 100K wealth. I have a scorcher bot, but it isn't the same like the incinerator flamethrower. It also suffered a shot to the reactor , taking it out- by an arrow, mind you. The lil militors do a good job keeping wildlife at bay and distract enemies. Next up is a pikeman which will be paired with the autogun turret.
I had the colony turn and betray innocent refugees at the behest of the empire. It was heart rending - the melee fighters clubbed them down, incapacitating them, including a toddler. The refugees then started crawling for safety while the murderers circled around again to finish their jobs. This is too cruel for my taste.
No playthrough under 1.5 has had the "vampire" event yet.

They fell from the stars. And from the stars they brought ideas and concepts of the Kumo Burger. With enemies proping and testing Hidden Oasis' defences more and more came a taste for the meat. A feel for collective dominance of the chosen people added the rest and soon the standard menu was replaces with cooking orders for the finest canibe meals.
Confident that their hidden valley had all the strength, all the ressources the colony needed Knight decided to have another baby.
3 slaves were slain in escape attempts. The latest, an Yttakin, got a peg leg treatment. The Yttakin seem the most frequent raids - A drone hack resulted in three alone.
I think the time is quite right for this secluded colony of collectivist supremacists who are quite full of themselves to are presented to the horrors of the void.

Already I am thinking what colony I shall play next. Overall I "finished" classic Rimworld once (build a ship and fly away) and once with Biotech (archotec ending, I believe).
It's kind of a thing to think of a group, what motivates them, find a nice map, "make it work".
The map is very nice. The colonists are well-rounded. They just turned out to be big douchebags and I don't really like that.
Anomaly brought a new meme to Ideology: Inhumanity. It's basically got all the precepts my d-bag colonists had (free love, slavery, cannibalism, skullspikes) and it gives -8 human shame debuff, unless the peep gets a break and they "become inhumane" (whatever that means). It's meant to tie in to the new void stuff and the thing it's got going is the nutripaste doesn't give bad thoughts.
I had a transhumanist party once and it's extremely expensive and heavy upkeep and space requirements. Plus you have deathrest-like time-outs all the time. There is a void ritual that lets you rejuvenate age of colonists - at the cost of aging of a victim - so age reversal can be avoided. Of course "good" colonists would only do that to their enemies, as a form of punishment, then send back the aged prisoner with all kinds of age related health problems.
Only thing that bothers me is "become inhumane" - the transhumanists want to merge body and tech. What do the void lovers do? It's basically the same but with cultists.

The attack came as a surprise and it was only due to the crew of cargo bay 20 it went noticed at all. The high-energy electromagnetic wave that had locked onto the vessel was already tearing the structure apart - the tell tale signal of creaking bulkheads is one of the "after the fact" kind.
When the captain received the report from cargo bay 20 she didn't hesitate long and ordered to abandon ship. Down in cargo bay 20 the sisters Amy and Hyde were in hysterious debate with Mother, the ship AI. Determined to go down with Mother the crew was devastated to be sent away from their caretaker AI. Who cared for whom isn't so clear - let's just say it was a symbiotic relationship, but quite "organic".

And that's the story on how it went down. The sisters, one son and one further crewmember of Cargo Bay 20 are the founding members of the Bay 20 group and inventively named their planet refuge Bay 21. We must assume their grief over the loss of Mother did impair their creative name-giving.
They are hardy shipcrew but life on a planet? I'd say they don't make it without a caretaker. But who am I to judge? Already they discovered a peculiar monolith and it gives off very strange but familiar vibes. Almost caretaker-like. They are drawn naturally to it and it'll either corrupt them fully or kill them - there is no other outcome really, is there?

The crew of Bay 21 have already begun to push and inquire the unknown. The count of rituals already surpasses my former playthroughs. Mother might still be out there and they keep calling into the void. Alternatively Clark has been tasked to develop his mechanitor skills and the first challenges have been mastered. The baby is well and thanks to IVF the crew has sent another Type II baby on the way without having to resort to incestuous practices. Maybe one day they can grow fellow crew in vats, just like they were (they are all the same age, even mother and son).
A mysterious cargo was accepted and contained some form of unlife. It's been put under containment and it yields loads of this new material. It does look like something stands in the way of accessing the void - every time they call out something utterly disfigured and abominable steps into the crew's path. They hope Mother is OK.
Major steps have been taken to acquire a polux tree seed. This will be the cornerstone of the crews waste management strategy. How did they know? Well, the teachings of Mother did have some impact...

The mysterious cargo unlife broke free. It's like a boss fight inside your base - better leave anything and get on it asap. It cost just part of my harvest due to generous use of Flowers the kid using the incinerator. The thing was overcome and no more chances were taken and the remains were destroyed - even the sludge it left behind on the ground. Wade assumed knighthood and a War Queen was called together with trooper support. The polux tree solution to waste management has started to work out well. Now the colony needs more advanced materials and hands to wield guns. Medium term it's gonna need growth vats to get the crew to better numbers.

More entity outbreak attempts from my hi-sec research facility. I met them with tunneler mech and shootings. I really should get chain shotguns. The RF concrete mod offers door solutions that usually allow enough response time to get an incident squad together.

My memory must have been wiped by void rituals. I confused monolith types and had them trigger duplications all around. Great, more colonists! Nope, they degrade and make their twin degrade, too. So I tried the healer mech serum of which I had recently acquired two. That's one for Amy (OG), one for Tessa (duplicant) - master craftswomen. I needed more plant labour but it's Amy's shooting skill. The twins are now happy and healthy.

Well, Tessa is more than healthy, since she absorbed sanguophage xenogene. She's gonna be Praetor with 2 Knights (Wade and Amy). A love story between Clark and her unfolded, too - I nudged only minimally.

2 slaves proposed marriage with Amy successfully. I took it as a sign for emancipation.

In a heavy effort the nuclear reactor (mod content) was finished with 9 rods fuel. This should last 10,000 years (Banzai Genshiro!)

If I had to give a resumé or a headline, a synopsis of my 1.5 playtime so far: Fire.
The ease of use and the AoE of incinerator - it simply is chef's kiss. Add to that eerie ambient and dark (a bit too dark for my taste) ambient and atmosphere and you have the recipe for success and memorable playtime. God, I LOVE that thing. I hear the sound of it discharging and the squeal of the enemies and my recreation meter instantly fills.
The anomaly adds new challenges of which you tend to fetch them right into your very own base, an interesting temptation.
I'm gunning for content I haven't played, like more of the Biotech stuff (growth vats, more mechanoids), the inflationary scaling usually put an end to my playthroughs. Not so much by being overrun, than being overoccupied cleaning up the bits from last raid.

Persona cores, 600 uranium, legendary plasteel plate armour - I must have hit the wealth trigger for quest rewards. The raids are gonna scale and I haven't really gotten anywhere due to acute steel scarcity.

Now that the latest Buckbally Race is over, I'm able to utilize my "split focus" time at home towards other purposes, like getting reacquainted with Rimworld. Since I was getting reacquainted with the game, I decided to disable all the expansions, including Anomaly, which I'd already purchased. Back to basics for me. I decided not to reroll my colonists until I got a good result, because it would be more interesting that way. ;)

My starting colonists were a married couple, Viking and Tomomi, and an unrelated woman named Marjot. Viking had plants covered, and Tomimi had social and research skills. I'd thought about bringing their son Harris with them instead, but the young man was not only staggeringly ugly, but had no useful skills, and was psychically sensitive to boot. Marjot, on the other hand, was "Too Smart," and would thus hopefully fill in any missing skills, as well as our doctor. And we were missing three critical skills, as it turned out. The Three C's: construction, crafting, and cooking.

Which was less than ideal, because I rolled randomly for a starting location, and ended up in arid scrublands. It wasn't as bad as I'd originally thought. It was "perpetually summer" and there were fertile soil nearby, which was good for growing crops. There was, however, a critical shortage of trees, which meant that there wasn't a lot of wood for construction or fuel. Marjot had to practice her construction skill to get good enough to build a windmill and a nutrient paste dispenser. Tomimi needed to get batteries researched.

It was a rough first quarter. Conditions were primitive, it was perpetually hot, and the packaged rations were soon consumed.And the windmill would require research into batteries to provide constant power. My colonists were eating raw rice by the time that nutrient paste dispenser was up and running... most of the time. They were on the raggedy edge, mood wise, but there were no mental breaks, thankfully. But finally, they got things up and running.

Oh, and an emu managed to savage Marjot's pet monkey when that nasty bird went after our crops. Poor monkey is now missing an ear. :(

At the beginning of the second quarter, we managed to capture and recruit Lady, who was not only passionate about construction, but was also a much better miner than Tomimi as well. This allowed Tomimi to concentrate on research, and Marjot to develop her crafting skills, starting with masonry. She could also support Viking when it comes to crops... and a plantation for a nearby and renewable source of wood. A mated pair of donkeys also spontaneously joined the colony, which necessitated the growing of hay to feed them, because grazing land was in short supply.

And that's when a herd of hungry elephants showed up. We have no exterior walls, and the fences didn't stop them, so they managed to ravage our crops by the time they moved on. None of my colonists had particularly stong combat skills, except for Marjot who was our best shot and way too valuable to risk as a melee fighter, so the one elephant we killed left Lady and Viking bedridden for days.

The only good news is that that nutrient paste dispenser, while horrible tasting, at least is efficient food wise. Our freezer is quite full of rice, so we've got time to recover. Hopefully, those elephants won't return before we finally get outer stone walls up and running.

I'm planning on running this game two full years before I start a new game with Royalty and Ideology added to the mix. Repeat the cycle with Biotech, and then I'll feel ready to tackle Anomaly.

My colony just celebrated its first year of surviving the wreck that stranded them on this planet. Highlights include several suicidal attacks by the locals, a rabid ostrich, a couple donkey foals. It took a while for me to notice that stonecutting did not raise crafting skill, so I switched Marjot over to concentrating on the cooking skill, and making clothing as our cotton crops mature, or leather becomes available. Lady in particular was grateful for this, because she was still wearing the rags she was captured in.

Once Marjot reached the skill level of three (by making tons of elephant-derived kibble), we dismantled the nutrient paste dispenser, and made do with her cooking. There was the occasional bout of food poisoning, but overall morale improved. Our structure expanded further, separating the workshops from the barracks. Once those were gone, the colony's barracks were considered nice enough to no longer inflict a mood debuff.

The colony's fields, including the tree plantation, are now walled off. Which turned out to be a good thing. A hungry pack of alpha beavers arrived, and are eating every tree they could find. The trees are now large enough to harvest, though most are not yet fully grown. We'll be harvesting a few trees at a time as we need wood.

We've got quite a few hideous examples of Marjot's early needlework clogging up our storage shelves. I'll be seeing if there's a neutral settlement nearby we can sell them to. If there's nowhere within a few days travel, we'll just burn them. Hate to waste precious wood on a camp fire, but there's no point in keeping stuff lying around doing nothing but taking up space and raising our settlement's wealth.

In a bout of "you only live once" I had the crew activate the next stage of the monolith. An undergound dungeon was the answer. I anticipated melee would rule and I sent Wade and Tessa (duplicant and vampire) down plus Amy as medic and chain shotgunner. My nose was right - the enemies tend to split and get right next to the "backliners" so Amy pulled out and the melee fighters duked it out.
Later I found out that Wade fought with only his fists. i had forgotten to reequip his mace that he dropped because of heat stroke in a burning insect cave (doors block heat even when kept open). I knew something was of with his damage output, lol.
Also the inhuman ideology isn't what they wanted. A cultist encounter had them seriously overthink their choice. Tessa had a deep conversation with husband Clark on why they chose her as member and not the other duplicants, how she wouldn't want to be just a better Amy with that vampire xenogene and her deep unease about the implications of the ideology practice.
A meeting was called where the crew discussed all these critical points and with all the females now having had a natural child (or being pregnant still) there was quite a strong agreement with Tessa's worries and critiques. Clark had encouraged Tess to push it rather than just leave the crew in disagreement: "Save us, then Tess! Save us from our error and make the others open their minds. Some things have to just spoken out."
At the meeting the crew unanimonously acclaimed Tessa the new Prime Directive, leader of the crew, a role planned to be given to Hyde, but everyone was mesmerised by Tessa's initiative and care. Tessa handling of an infectious alien also hadn't gone unnoticed. She was the one who discovered the culprit and stopped the colony entering a paranoia spiral. She had just gotten up from deathrest and dealt with the situation. The questionable ideology was abolished, but the food dispenser kept as main food source. The whole crew thinks they shouldn't pamper themselves with luxuries too much.
Despite Tessa's prowess in skill, Amy actually managed to surpass her superhuman twin in the shooting, now that so much pressure was taken from her shoulders. Hyde has become a masterful doctor and herbalist, Wade expertly bops on the head what he can't sweet talk to, inspiring the two oldest girl kids to bop on the head what they can (mostly downed creatures), Clark has established a culture of expert craftsmanships, Puppigurk is just a happy contract worker (not a slave...) who they just want to keep around. 5 adults, 3 kids, 1 vat child, Puppigurk and a neglected, but lobotomised happy blood donor - that is the colony that just very proudly revealed Clark's newest addition to the arsenal: The Punisher cannon (mod content) - an artillery piece that shall put everything to rest Tess and Wade can't bop on the head.

The first half of their second year was mostly an exercise in skill development. Everyone had their tasks to perform, and barring the occasional small raid, man-hunting animal, or visiting merchant, one day was much the same as the other. Marjot split her time practicing cooking, animal husbandry, and tailoring, plus unskilled labor. Tomomi split her time on unskilled labor and research. Viking and Lady tended to the fields… and helped out with unskilled labor.

See the pattern? ;)

Tomomi took the castoffs from Marjot’s tailor training, and the ambrosia that had suddenly grew nearby, to a nearby settlement and returned with a bolt action rifle and a breeding pair of pigs. Marjot had a moment of inspiration regarding taming, and snagged a female camel for milk and to be a riding and pack animal. She then tamed the male, which doomed the donkeys to becoming the meat of the day.

Oh, and I figured out why the barracks was so chilly, despite the climate: our freezer was set to -20, and the cold was leaking through the walls. Setting it to -15 kept the barracks at a comfortable temperature.

Yes, our tiny band of four was quite comfortable: they were well fed, sheltered, and clothed.

And then came a series of near disasters just as I was going to take advantage of last night’s window to play Elite Dangerous. First, an emu attacked Tomomi on her way back from mining some steel to replenish our supply. Before she could recover, she caught the flu. And before she could recover from that, a three-person melee tribal band appeared, which managed to wound both Marjot and Viking (primary and secondary medic). This left Lady as the only completely healthy colonist… who was almost worthless in a fight.

At least we captured one of them… whose name I eludes me. I think it’s KewKewl, IIRC. I was tempted to let him die, he had the ”creepy breathing” trait, but he had two things the rest of them lacked: shooting skills, and no other useful skill so he’d be able free up the rest of the colony to focus on their strengths.

A caravan soon showed up, and I was sorely tempted to sell our captive into slavery… when there was another raid: four pirates armed with pistols! I figured this was the end. I mustered the colony. They assumed defensive positions… and I noticed that the pirates were charging straight at the caravan! A battle between the caravan guards and the pirates ensued, and the guards killed three out of the four pirates. We captured the fourth, a fellow of the name of Black, since he’d make a decent enough addition to the colony with the “too smart” trait. We also rescued one of the caravan guards. They were just going to leave him there to die!

And that’s where we stand. It’s extremely cheesy, but I think I’m going to create a the proverbial kill box for the colony. We have one captive who will soon join the colony, a second who will require some persuasion, and a wounded guest whose people will hopefully reciprocate our kindness.

Tessa and Wade make a good team of bop a whoppers. Although I swapped Wade's bopstick of a normal monosword. Tessa took over the uranium mace.
I answered the biggest yet Anomaly event by calling in another Diabolus mech - the anomaly dealt with it thinning it's own ranks. I think it took me three game days to finish that threat - it is designed that way, you can't simply bop it's head, but it had a lot of bopping to do in store.
In store we have another anomaly that is supposed to become unstable and supposedly then is the time to get rid of it. It has descriptors of mass destruction inscribed in its surface. Should I maybe call Apokriton for that?
Max was taken out of the vat at age six, since Flowers is close to come of age.
The monolith can be activated for its last stage but there are still a couple stage 2 threats undiscovered.

Top Bottom