Unreal Engine 5

Unreal Engine 5 shows we'll have photorealistic graphics with nanite (virtualized polygon system) which replaces the traditional mesh LODs, 1 to 2 million triangles per instance. So Frontier should upgrade the Cobra Engine. Crank up the details for high spec PCs and current gen consoles (PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X).

Last edited:
This shows what "next-gen" terrain looks like in Unreal Engine 5 with deformation and voxels.

"Massive, Destructible and interactive world created in Unreal Engine 5 using Brushify assets and tools and the powerful Voxel Plugin. Brushify allows you to quickly build a scene using ready-made optimized game-assets and fast level design workflows. I use UE5's new Nanite feature for a performance increase and higher polycounts in the distance. I also use Lumen to create realistic scene lighting and showcase Color Bleeding and Global Illumination, which is now possible in Real-time."

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvcBBa3X4js

I think these graphics and physics are possible on current gen consoles and high-end PCs. We should see games with UE5 in a year.

Two or even three years I'd say. At least for really good ones. At the moment, it's only in preview.

Developers need to time to learn the tech and integrate it into their workflows, and make the best of it.

Nanites ? They not voxels then? That looks exciting

It's a little like voxels (the video that Cosmo posted yesterday uses voxels for the destructible landscape) in that it's a virtualised geometry system, but Nanite is really so you can use full polygon models with no performance degradation at all. It means they can put full film quality CGI models into games, without having to simplify the models and make them less detailed... which is what normally happens.

Unreal engine is getting really good, i don't know if it is good for huge game worlds but on the graphic side it's looking great.

Unreal engine is getting really good, i don't know if it is good for huge game worlds but on the graphic side it's looking great.
CDPR have recently announced that they're ditching their bespoke RedEngine in favour of UE5. I suspect that the next interation of the Witcher will be open world as well so it bodes reasonably well I think.

New amazing demo:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lkEOEEKYD0

As much as I dislike Epic Games and their market tactics, this engine abilities are breath taking. Looking forward to games using these new tricks.
the procedural generation is pretty mindblowing.......... and maybe has relevance for Elite as well (big assumption that elite gets any more expansions... also with the caveat that frontier use their own engine.................... but even so it shows what procedural generation can do with the correct tools.)

Last edited:
What you see in today's tech demos, takes 3-4 years at least to get into games

And Elite will die on Cobra Engine since everything in ED is developed in house - which means there are no licensing costs attached to ED dev and running costs.

Frontier should upgrade the Cobra Engine.

So they will definitely do that if you finance the endeavour.
I think about 50 millions will do. Are you in?

So they will definitely do that if you finance the endeavour.
I think about 50 millions will do. Are you in?
perhaps... but that said back in the day Frontier sold themselves heavily on being the masters of Procedural Generation and also that their inhouse engine was perfectly suited to it. There was also talk that they planned to licence out their engine for others to use..... IF this is still the case then they should put their money where there mouth is....

have they fixed the PC microstutter however as that has been a bugbear of UE games on PC for some time... iirc due to how the shaders are compiled on the fly. dunno how consoles get around it, but they do apparently. (pre compiled perhaps? - but if so that is surely a simple enough fix on pc for it to compile the shaders on 1st running the game after install before it starts)

Last edited:
but that said back in the day Frontier sold themselves heavily on being the masters of Procedural Generation and also that their inhouse engine was perfectly suited to it.

Well... i really like what they did with their Cobra Engine and their procedural gen skills... i mean Elite Dangerous.
9 years after launch, it's still a rather unique game in its niche genre.

perhaps... but that said back in the day Frontier sold themselves heavily on being the masters of Procedural Generation and also that their inhouse engine was perfectly suited to it. There was also talk that they planned to licence out their engine for others to use..... IF this is still the case then they should put their money where there mouth is....

have they fixed the PC microstutter however as that has been a bugbear of UE games on PC for some time... iirc due to how the shaders are compiled on the fly. dunno how consoles get around it, but they do apparently. (pre compiled perhaps? - but if so that is surely a simple enough fix on pc for it to compile the shaders on 1st running the game after install before it starts)

Is it fair to assume that Cobra has failed to keep up and only Frontier use it?

Top Bottom