Map of the entire roster by (approximate) animal distribution

Also funfact, now that zootierliste is worldwide the jaguar slipped into the 100 slot on the most held animals list and the 4. most common large cat just barely after tigers. Cougars also made a large surge now being the second most common and lions got boosted from 58 to 44. Just thought thats neat

Yeah, I say follow the lead of the llama and camels and put them where the breed's from. Really highlight the needlessly European-centric nature of the breeds selected. Either that, or remove the llama and camels as well. But I like the first one better.

Edit: Although... the llama and camels are a bit different because they are species in their own right, not just breeds as most of these are. I suppose an argument could be made that the alpaca alone should be treated the same way as our previous camelids, and the others either get excluded or placed near the origin point of their initial domestication. But I still think using the breed's origin point is probably the most consistent approach.

Last edited:
Yeah, I say follow the lead of the llama and camels and put them where the breed's from. Really highlight the needlessly European-centric nature of the breeds selected. Either that, or remove the llama and camels as well. But I like the first one better.
There are cool non-European picks sure, but I wouldn't say it was "needlessly" Euro-centric. Shetland Pony, Belgian Rabbit and something similar could boost this pack nicely while still being European

I'm not even sure these should be on the map seeing how they are domestic. I dunno it feels like a dofferent category
Origin of the breed or original domestication of the species. Four on Britain, one on the French Alps (pretty much overlapping with the ibex), the alpaca a bit north of the llama. The American standard donkey is basically impossible to determine because it's not a proper breed and donkeys were introduced to the New World in several waves, though the least worst option might be in Arizona, where they were first brought into the modern United States from Mexico (then both under Spanish rule).

There are cool non-European picks sure, but I wouldn't say it was "needlessly" Euro-centric. Shetland Pony, Belgian Rabbit and something similar could boost this pack nicely while still being European
I agree with you, those would be good European picks in the same way that the highland cattle is a good European pick (fwiw I'm not particularly interested in the cattle and wouldn't be in the pony but I can still acknowledge that they are/would be "good" picks). So the fact that the pig and goat in particular (and arguably the chicken and sheep, although I'm not as fussed there) are European varieties when there exist substantially better alternatives from elsewhere is just bizarre and frustrating.

Top Bottom