PS4 looks abandoned

with @Old Duck and @madmattnz also on PC, i wonder how many PS4ers are dipping a toe in?

If PC is more stable i might fire up my cmdr too, though don't wish to buy Odyssey yet: PS4 meetup on PC anyone?
It’s running much better for me since the last update, at least 10-15 FPS extra and I can actually use Ultra settings again (for everything except for legs on planets) which gives me hope for PS4. The main issue is inconsistency of frame rates but they seem to be improving.

Although I haven’t played ED on my PS4 Pro for ages I haven’t abandoned it, just taking a break. News of a PS5 enhanced version would definitely move me back, perhaps permanently! If I could get a PS5 that is! Chip shortages and COVID have really messed things up supply-wise.

Last edited:
with @Old Duck and @madmattnz also on PC, i wonder how many PS4ers are dipping a toe in?

If PC is more stable i might fire up my cmdr too, though don't wish to buy Odyssey yet: PS4 meetup on PC anyone?

81398752.jpg

It’s running much better for me since the last update, at least 10-15 FPS extra and I can actually use Ultra settings again (for everything except for legs on planets) which gives me hope for PS4. The main issue is inconsistency of frame rates but they seem to be improving.
Wait, are you talking about Horizons on PC? I hope not. Tell Frontier to leave my Horizons alone!

I can see the differences on Console Vs PC now, it’s a mixture of subtle and very noticeable.
I was pleased to actually discover the missing heat haze wavy effect is also missing from Horizons on PC.
Apparently it’s back in Odyssey 😎

The lower frame rate on console is jarring, so the PS5 backwards compatibility with the smoother frames will help with that (when I can get one).

I can see the differences on Console Vs PC now, it’s a mixture of subtle and very noticeable.
I was pleased to actually discover the missing heat haze wavy effect is also missing from Horizons on PC.
Apparently it’s back in Odyssey 😎

The lower frame rate on console is jarring, so the PS5 backwards compatibility with the smoother frames will help with that (when I can get one).
I hope you do get a PS5, but make no mistake, Elite is still going to run pretty subpar since it's a PS4 Pro version you'll be running. With way faster loading times, true, but that's about it.

Almost any other game out there will run better on PS5, compared to Elite.

I hope you do get a PS5, but make no mistake, Elite is still going to run pretty subpar since it's a PS4 Pro version you'll be running. With way faster loading times, true, but that's about it.

Almost any other game out there will run better on PS5, compared to Elite.
Good point. The main reason why I went off on my PC ED experiment was because of frame rates. I usually ran my PS4 Pro in Quality mode to enjoy the best graphics but sometimes switched to Performance for ship combat for the improved frames. Since this option isn't working at the moment and I found that switching between left and right panels whilst mining was particularly choppy FPS wise, I got hooked on using my PC (Mac+Windows+eGPU) setup because I was getting 60+ silky smooth FPS in Horizons. Obviously that has changed a bit with Odyssey and why like so many others in the ‘No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5’ thread I really want a PS5 native version to make the most of the new hardware.

When I finally get the chance to get a PS5 I am really curious to see how it compares to my PS4 Pro and PC setup.

Good point. The main reason why I went off on my PC ED experiment was because of frame rates. I usually ran my PS4 Pro in Quality mode to enjoy the best graphics but sometimes switched to Performance for ship combat for the improved frames. Since this option isn't working at the moment and I found that switching between left and right panels whilst mining was particularly choppy FPS wise, I got hooked on using my PC (Mac+Windows+eGPU) setup because I was getting 60+ silky smooth FPS in Horizons. Obviously that has changed a bit with Odyssey and why like so many others in the ‘No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5’ thread I really want a PS5 native version to make the most of the new hardware.

When I finally get the chance to get a PS5 I am really curious to see how it compares to my PS4 Pro and PC setup.
Indeed, with the PS5, galaxy map is instant, route plotting is very fast now, and no problems with switching left/right panels anymore (it was stuttery for me on PS4). Locked 60 FPS, but since I play solo, I cannot attest how it fares in open, with other commanders around, but the networking solution FDEV chose will make your FPS tank anyway.

It is smooth sailing on PS5, but with a native version it could be amazing.

I got a gaming laptop, which sits on a nice tray straddled across my La-z-boy recliner. This gives me the same relaxed gaming environment my PS4 gives me, but with PC games. I still use my DS4 controller wherever I can, even though I do own a flight stick. I just find it more convenient and flexible. While my 4K TV is technically a whole lot bigger than my 15 inch laptop screen, it's across the room whereas my laptop screen is under 2' away, so I get pretty close to the same FOV. Now there are times when I'll connect my laptop to the TV and sit much closer, to get a much bigger panoramic feel, but often the laptop screen does just fine for casual gameplay.

iu

My biggest praises of console were cost and ease-of-use. Steam has made my PC as easy to use as my PS4 for gaming, and I'm "less poor" now than I was when I got my PS4. I'm still a minimalist, so that's one of the reasons I prefer a laptop over a huge desktop man-cave gaming center. This laptop is technically smaller than my PS4 Slim, and it packs its own screen! Of course it cost five times as much, so I fully admit it's a luxury (though compared to PS5, the price difference becomes less of an issue).

Since switching to PC, I have a real hard time accepting anything under 60 fps. People claiming that Odyssey is "playable" at 20 fps are nuts. I mean, technically they are right, but who would want to? I also can't imagine missing out on current and upcoming PC / XBox exclusives like Space Engineers and X4 Foundations (and Starfield next year).

Of course it's not all sunshine and roses on PC. There are titles I avoid on PC because those games add all sorts of bloatware anti-cheatware to my computer, require separate accounts, and are generally a pain to install and run. I still play games like Overwatch and Fortnite on PS4, because I don't want them clogging up my PC. But the older I get, the less time I spend on these "kid" games. Heck, if Frontier actually fixes up Odyssey proper-like, it might be the only FPS I need to scratch the itch!

Sorry so long - my coffee hasn't kicked in yet (brevity is harder than verbosity).

Indeed, with the PS5, galaxy map is instant, route plotting is very fast now, and no problems with switching left/right panels anymore (it was stuttery for me on PS4). Locked 60 FPS, but since I play solo, I cannot attest how it fares in open, with other commanders around, but the networking solution FDEV chose will make your FPS tank anyway.

It is smooth sailing on PS5, but with a native version it could be amazing.

I find the PS5 BC version of Elite extremely blurry relative to the PC version I'm running on the same monitor. I also find it quite unstable in comparison. The frame rate boost is only evident in places of the game that did not already suffer from frame drops. Bit of a let down.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
My main issue currently is the 5 second delay when switching to the srv turret. Or should I say, the 5 second delay to be able to move the turret. Not good when sentinels are blatting me
Luckily this is one bonus the PS5 does have. No problems with this on PS5. This and all the loading stuff is improved.

Hi friends

elite commanders.
i play on ps 4 platform. i used to do painite mining now i have 450 million cr money but i want to make money by trading now i am at HIP 10792 SYSTEM CRIMSON EXCHANGE STATION

Since couple of weeks I feel alone in the game. No one of my squad or my ex squad is playing anymore. At least not until Odyssey release on PS4. I visited normally more populated systems as Deciat but still no players there. No even gankers. I was so bored that I even went to Jameson memorial to find some gankers to interdict me just for the fun of it but still nothing. So, I decided also to stop playing until Odyssey but was wondering if we all abandon the game in waiting of odyssey would the devs decided that there is no point to launch it on PS4?
I stopped playing properly some time ago. FD's arrogance and disinterest coupled with their apparent contempt for console users really hacked me off. One of the oldest and most requested features for the game, which would improve the game for console players massively, was flattly refused and ignored ever since. The request for keyboard input. Instead we have to remember the most ridiculous (by comparison) button combinations imaginable. I've lost count of the number of times they've been reset following an update.

Then there's the graphics glitches, rendering, and poor frame rate when opening ship menu's. I think it was Old Duck that posted a very consice and informative discussion about it, including many screenshots and gameplay footage of these issues. The last time I played (PS4 Pro), opening a ship menu dropped frame rate considerably. Was this ever resolved?

That and the constant grind. I have the credits to add the Corvette to my Anaconda but I'm sick and tired of the pathetically slow rank upgrade grind. My current rank is Post Captain at 85%, it now never progresses! Next rank up I can get the 'vette', but I don't want to spare a year of my life to get there.......

The way I see it, FD see console platforms as more of a hindrance rather than a viable, productive source of income and community. Their interaction with console users on this forum is non existent. A disgrace.

I stopped playing properly some time ago. FD's arrogance and disinterest coupled with their apparent contempt for console users really hacked me off. One of the oldest and most requested features for the game, which would improve the game for console players massively, was flattly refused and ignored ever since. The request for keyboard input. Instead we have to remember the most ridiculous (by comparison) button combinations imaginable. I've lost count of the number of times they've been reset following an update.

Then there's the graphics glitches, rendering, and poor frame rate when opening ship menu's. I think it was Old Duck that posted a very consice and informative discussion about it, including many screenshots and gameplay footage of these issues. The last time I played (PS4 Pro), opening a ship menu dropped frame rate considerably. Was this ever resolved?

That and the constant grind. I have the credits to add the Corvette to my Anaconda but I'm sick and tired of the pathetically slow rank upgrade grind. My current rank is Post Captain at 85%, it now never progresses! Next rank up I can get the 'vette', but I don't want to spare a year of my life to get there.......

The way I see it, FD see console platforms as more of a hindrance rather than a viable, productive source of income and community. Their interaction with console users on this forum is non existent. A disgrace.
100% agreed. I wonder when one of our esteemed CM will pop in to assuage us of these terrible beliefs we've acquired through years of neglect.

Who wants to bet this thread trickles off and dies before a CM ever stops by

So far as I can tell these are the last times ANYONE from fdev posted here.

Mar 14, 2017
:) I guess it depends on your definition of 'nearly'..... it's coming along nicely and, when it's ready, I'm sure our Marketing and Community Teams will let everyone know.

Jun 30, 2017
They can change depending on the major economy of the station; the ones with the parks and statues etc. are Tourism stations. My favourite is the Refinery type, although the Asteroid bases are also good for photographs.

The best part is THEY ARENT EVEN COMMUNITY MANAGERS.

the moral of the story is: we have a better chance of the actuL devs addressing us than the CMs. Disgraceful

I would @ one of the CMs but I've been doing that to no avail.

Maybe a better one would be @CMDR Kai Zen for the ELITE WEEK podcast ammo

Last edited:
Top Bottom