Game Discussions X4 this looks Very good

Is it? I haven't managed to engineer one thing due to missing items.
Yeah :D And did you feel anything was useless peashooter? Lame hearse duck? That's the thing - you just don't need it. And when you get some parts, you put it maybe on the the prestige chariot.
Now I'm sure you can get become very unhappy as a minmaxer with several fleets to "engineer" in X4. I just would never bother - game is fine without.

I must confess that Elite's flight model and combat sometimes spoils other games for me. I tried playing X4 last night, picking fights with Xenon because that was my mood (combat), and I just couldn't get into it. Elite gets repetitious in scenarios, but the individual fights usually feel pretty unique. X4 gets repetitious in individual fights (the pilot AI is terribly predictable and kinda boring) but the scenarios can often feel pretty unique. Last night I wanted unique fights, and X4 let me down.

Oh how I wish these two games would marry and make a beautiful baby!
I'd also like to see ED married to a few games recently released and soon-to-bee's.
ED married to Starfield/SpaceBorne2 with planetary landing mechanics like Flight of Nova (ED's planetary flight is OK too, imho).
For me, a space game should have a realistic universe or galaxy or galactic arm, that I can fly my ship through with a crew (including a pilot I can direct), crew quarters, med bays, storage, etc. etc. (think Tempest from ME:A); land, get out and explore/mine/etc.

I bought ED for the galaxy. It beat out SC back during early access when I decided which game to put money in; and was very happy with my decision. (for many years)

Select my post. CTRL-F. Type "engineering". Phrase not found.

Nice strawman though, have fun beating it up.
X is better off without any ED shenanigans. No grind, no MP, no griefing, no simplifications of the economy sim. Save slots, mods, custom game start - you wouldn't see any of that in ED. They'd rather cut their hands off. Before I go and marry stuff, I'd make sure it doesn't get worse. And the FM of X4 isn't really so bad, FAoff is miles better e.g.

Bernd Lehan on the state of X4 and the future 7.00 update
[...].

There are still big plans for X4
I hope before 7.00, there's more updates to 6. Egosoft still has a lot of outstanding bugs that really need attention, especially with the introduction of this new collision detection system... I give Frontier flak all the time for their longstanding bugs, so Egosoft deserves the same scrutiny from me.

I hope before 7.00, there's more updates to 6. Egosoft still has a lot of outstanding bugs that really need attention, especially with the introduction of this new collision detection system... I give Frontier flak all the time for their longstanding bugs, so Egosoft deserves the same scrutiny from me.

Well, yes, there will be. There's still the ongoing Beta for the reworked Venture feature that is scheduled to be released this summer. There will be at the very least that patch + fixes after the release (you'll never find ALL bugs even after months of Beta testing)

When life gets super busy (like right now), I do appreciate the ability to stop and start "the simulation" as time allows. I've been taking a break from X4 to enjoy some BGS work in Elite, but there's no way I can dedicate the time needed to keep up with other players who have 20 hours a day to invest in that BGS, especially starting this week. Thankfully when I'm unable to play X4 due to IRL time restraints, the Xenon and other enemies are also on hiatus, frozen in time.

Though it is my dream to someday dedicate a computer to running an X game (probably X4, but maybe X3 on an older computer) 24x7 just to see how the universe evolves over time with minimal interaction. It would make a tremendous screen saver / "live art painting" on my wall!

Hoping to finally get started with X4 in the coming week or so after months of not doing so. I've done the tutorials to date.

Before I get really started, are there any "must-have" QoL mods for the game? I don't want to change the game significantly (yet! - eyeing up that Star Wars mod for the future though), just stuff that will make the game more streamlined/fun/whatever.

Hoping to finally get started with X4 in the coming week or so after months of not doing so. I've done the tutorials to date.

Before I get really started, are there any "must-have" QoL mods for the game? I don't want to change the game significantly (yet! - eyeing up that Star Wars mod for the future though), just stuff that will make the game more streamlined/fun/whatever.
I fell it doesnt need a mod. Vanilla is quite fine.

That's what I like to hear.
I've never used any mod. Maybe because of the modified-tag - I hate that a lot. I used to experiment in X2/3 myself but it was a step beyond my comprehensions about doing any advanced stuff.
There was a suite of autotrader scripts and GKS-Gefecht (Capital ship turret control) scripts that were VERY popular and unreasonably good - Egosoft later curated them and made them officially available on their site. Today the vanilla comes with Egosoft's own take of autotrader, -miner, combat AI scripts which isn't always perfect but supplement the game like they should. X would be less without these.
I think the best way is to try out the vanilla, see what is maybe annoying or lacking and get a mod addressing that. X is however quite complex and playthroughs can take quite some time to get to "end game".
Anyway, my current playthrough is at the edge of mid game and I just can't decide where to put my production...

Don't listen to the naysayers, there are some great mods for X4. The only reason to care about a "mod tag" is if you want to play the kinda-multiplayer Ventures, which isn't even out yet, and you can always create a separate save just for that.

The mods I use help make the game more realistic, challenging, fun (these things aren't always at odds), and beautiful. I don't have the list of names in front of me, but I can list what some of the "must have" mods do at least:

• No boost - I don't like how X4 handles boost, especially the way NPCs boost. It is both arcade-like and it often causes NPCs to die prematurely, so I just turn it off for everyone. Instead of boost, I use a combat travel drive, which is similar and also way better than boost IMO.
  • No Superhighways - This is more for realism, turning off the "space freeways" everywhere in X4. These again feel arcade-like to me. The one exception is the Boron DLC, which requires highways as part of the mission progression. I'm actually okay with Borons having highways - it sets them apart from the other races. To achieve this, you'll need to install this mod from Nexus rather than Steam Workshop.
  • Turret Kinetic Speed Doubler (definitely not the real name) - This doubles the speed of all kinetic turret weapons, which in my opinion is a must, because otherwise turrets score maybe 5% hits to 95% misses. And while this may sound like a buff, remember the enemy also gets this buff, so you're going to have to fly a whole lot better to avoid enemy turret fire. You might actually want to leave this mod off until you get used to the game.
  • Real Space (again, not proper name) - this is an awesome skybox replacement mod that greatly enhances the more dull sectors of the galaxy, making them more high-def, vivid and realistic. Systems more like a place I would encounter in Elite rather than the night sky in some fantasy game.
  • NPCs Reclaimed - another mod you may want to wait on, but eventually you'll probably want. X4 originally had way more NPC types, but because a few of them have glitches (usually weird balding patterns), they just turned all these extra and exotic NPCs off, leaving us with a small palette of more "plain" NPCs. This mod reactivates those cooler cyberpunk NPCs.
  • ..... I think those are all the "must haves" in my list!
I don't add any mods that radically change the game or require a new save to enable / disable. Someday I do want to try VRO or whatever it's called, which supposedly rebalances combat across all ships and stations in a positive way, but right now I find combat to be enjoyable with the mods I have. I also want to learn how to mod the game myself, so I can tweak settings like ship acceleration, which I feel is too much on small fighters (feels arcade-like), along with some DPS on weapons.

You can get mods that add ships, but I don't recommend those starting off. X4 has plenty of ships to get used to, especially if you have the DLC. I also avoid mods that add menus and tweak the UI, as these can sometimes cause problems. The UI is what it is, so best get used to it. Thankfully you'll learn tricks over time that makes working with the UI easier. If you play the game like Elite rather than Stellaris, the UI shouldn't get in the way too much anyway, since you'll be flying more than you'll be managing fleets.

I'll check my game later and see if I missed anything. Good luck!

Don't listen to the naysayers, there are some great mods for X4. The only reason to care about a "mod tag" is if you want to play the kinda-multiplayer Ventures, which isn't even out yet, and you can always create a separate save just for that.

The mods I use help make the game more realistic, challenging, fun (these things aren't always at odds), and beautiful. I don't have the list of names in front of me, but I can list what some of the "must have" mods do at least:

• No boost - I don't like how X4 handles boost, especially the way NPCs boost. It is both arcade-like and it often causes NPCs to die prematurely, so I just turn it off for everyone. Instead of boost, I use a combat travel drive, which is similar and also way better than boost IMO.
  • No Superhighways - This is more for realism, turning off the "space freeways" everywhere in X4. These again feel arcade-like to me. The one exception is the Boron DLC, which requires highways as part of the mission progression. I'm actually okay with Borons having highways - it sets them apart from the other races. To achieve this, you'll need to install this mod from Nexus rather than Steam Workshop.
  • Turret Kinetic Speed Doubler (definitely not the real name) - This doubles the speed of all kinetic turret weapons, which in my opinion is a must, because otherwise turrets score maybe 5% hits to 95% misses. And while this may sound like a buff, remember the enemy also gets this buff, so you're going to have to fly a whole lot better to avoid enemy turret fire. You might actually want to leave this mod off until you get used to the game.
  • Real Space (again, not proper name) - this is an awesome skybox replacement mod that greatly enhances the more dull sectors of the galaxy, making them more high-def, vivid and realistic. Systems more like a place I would encounter in Elite rather than the night sky in some fantasy game.
  • NPCs Reclaimed - another mod you may want to wait on, but eventually you'll probably want. X4 originally had way more NPC types, but because a few of them have glitches (usually weird balding patterns), they just turned all these extra and exotic NPCs off, leaving us with a small palette of more "plain" NPCs. This mod reactivates those cooler cyberpunk NPCs.
  • ..... I think those are all the "must haves" in my list!
I don't add any mods that radically change the game or require a new save to enable / disable. Someday I do want to try VRO or whatever it's called, which supposedly rebalances combat across all ships and stations in a positive way, but right now I find combat to be enjoyable with the mods I have. I also want to learn how to mod the game myself, so I can tweak settings like ship acceleration, which I feel is too much on small fighters (feels arcade-like), along with some DPS on weapons.

You can get mods that add ships, but I don't recommend those starting off. X4 has plenty of ships to get used to, especially if you have the DLC. I also avoid mods that add menus and tweak the UI, as these can sometimes cause problems. The UI is what it is, so best get used to it. Thankfully you'll learn tricks over time that makes working with the UI easier. If you play the game like Elite rather than Stellaris, the UI shouldn't get in the way too much anyway, since you'll be flying more than you'll be managing fleets.

I'll check my game later and see if I missed anything. Good luck!
You know where I would use the kinetic projectile speed mod? In ED. Annoyed the crap out of me those slow - ass projectiles.

Stellaris drives me nuts. Every game basically told me that energy weapons are for shields and bullets are for hull and armour. And what does Stellaris? Complete opposite. Kinetic dakka ruined.
Personally I prefer absolute DPS to this imaginary "rock paper scissors lasers shields bullets hull" game that somebody dreamed up one day. AFAIK X4 doesn't differentiate between weapon types and shields vs hull, which is my preference. It's more of a "slower weapons of a given size tend to have more punch" model, which I'm okay with.

Personally I prefer absolute DPS to this imaginary "rock paper scissors lasers shields bullets hull" game that somebody dreamed up one day. AFAIK X4 doesn't differentiate between weapon types and shields vs hull, which is my preference. It's more of a "slower weapons of a given size tend to have more punch" model, which I'm okay with.
There is a modifier for shields and hull when you consult the in-game help for equipment. It doesn't do much in normal circumstances but you may notice angainst fat shields. And then there is ofc the Split weapon that bleeds through shield and deals damage over time.
Maybe you can turn stuff here to eleven with the tinker mechanics but I just pick what sounds good and does good boom. I'm picky about area effects - I don't like friendly fire degrade my relations so flak and shards on turrets is not so common with me.

Only 1 for me.
Years ago I activated "learn all the things", because my AI crews were not leveling up.
Not sure if over the years the base code was tweaked, so I still use it today.

Top Bottom